Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

BMX with DIEP Flap reconstruction at later date question

Options
ebfitzy
ebfitzy Member Posts: 47

Unfortunately I’ve had a decent wait for surgery because I decided to do the BMX with DIEP flap reconstruction. So we have come to the conclusion I’m going to have to do it separately because they just can’t do it all at once in a reasonable time period.

has anyone been flat and still was successful with the DIEP flap reconstruction at a later date?

they gave me the option for tissue expanders, but I really didn’t want a foreign object in me. But I’m worried that they won’t be successful with the procedure without it.

Please share your experiences with me to better assist me in this decision. Thank you

Comments

• ratherbesailing
    ratherbesailing Member Posts: 118
    Options

Ebfitzy, I see no one has answered yet. I have no idea if it is possible to do DIEP with tissue expanders first, but have never heard of it. Did you ask your PS why you need them? I am guessing that without the TE process, even if you have plenty of available abdominal skin, without the skin stretching of TEs, the scar might be high on your chest and unsightly. I would suggest going back to your surgeon to get a better handle on why they are necessary, or getting a second opinion.

I understand not wanting a foreign object in your body, but it is really only for a couple months. If you are worried about long term side effects, again, perhaps you can express that to your PS and let them address those concerns. I know sometimes it is difficult to ask questions when you have all that info coming at you from providers. But don't be afraid to go back and get the answers you need to be comfortable in your decision.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 386
    Options

I did exactly what you're describing for the exact same reason. Anyway just went flat with extra skin kept and no expanders. I had large triple D breasts though so plenty of skin could remain for easy coverage. Anyway, it worked fine for me without an expander. Kept the skin healthy and about six months after my double mastectomy got it filled up with two fatty C's. Comfortable enough with the look after one surgery that I skipped the second electing instead to have some easy touchups in the office with local anesthesia. Slapped on some nipple tattoos about four months after that and I'm done. They look pretty decent IMO. Not perfect but I can fill a bra and a bathing suit looking perfectly normal so I'm satisfied.

• ebfitzy
    ebfitzy Member Posts: 47
    Options

Thank you for your insight. I have c’s now but am totally comfortable with smaller, so I’m going to talk with the plastic surgeon today to discuss if I will be able to achieve b’s without the expanders. I don’t necessarily care what they look like, but hoping they can look normal with a swimming suit is my final goal.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 386
    Options

There should be absolutely no reason they can't do that for you. To be quite honest I like these foobs way better than my original. I am short and triple D's were just overwhelming. Have never missed them for a minute. Hope you feel the same about your new ones, too.