Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can fibrocystic breast be misdiagnosed?

Options
trace621
trace621 Member Posts: 40
edited March 28 in Benign Breast Conditions

Can fibrocystic breast be misdiagnosed? Below are my results from my MRI and biopsy, when I research fibrocystic changes, I can't find anything related to birads 4b, plateau enhancement, etc but I do find cancer being misdiagnosed as fibrocystic changes.

In the last few months, I have been misdiagnosed due to radiologists misinterpreting my scans for other issues (one misdiagnosed me with diverticulitis and the other MRI missed a tumor on my pituitary gland). I had multiple neurosurgeons look at my brain MRI and say "Nothing is there" because the radiologist never documented it and then one neuro was curious, had his team look at the MRI, order another MRI and I have a small brain tumor. The original report never saw it because it was small.

I am 43, have no children, hysterectomy 3 years ago, high risk/family history of BC. I don't want to sound like I am a hypochondriac but could the radiologist for the biopsy result below have been mistaken, do I get another opinion? I get very anxious with results now because radiologists not reading correctly. Could I ask them to order a CA 27.29 lab just to make sure?

MRI birads 4b =

There are numerous cysts. There is a new 1.1 cm enhancing mass at the upper central breast, mid to posterior depth which demonstrates plateau enhancement kinetics (102:78, 6:127).

MRI biopsy

- Fibrocystic breast with columnar cell change, containing scattered microcalcification. - Immunostain p63/AE1/AE3, CK5/6 and E-cadherin findings support the diagnosis.

Comment: The benign pathologic findings on this limited core needle biopsy should be correlated with clinical examination and radiologic findings.  Any discrepancy between these diagnostic modalities may require additional investigation

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 889
    edited March 28
    Options

Hi @trace621 , Misdiagnosis of imaging by radiologists does occur about 3% - 5% of the time. I sympathize with you because this has also happened to me. Pathology, however, is performed by a pathologist who uses stains and a microscope to examine the cells gathered by the biopsy. Sometimes there is an error made in classifying the stage of the cancer but it is much less likely that a malignant specimen would be classified as benign. My biopsy specimen was diagnosed as DCIS but on review by another pathologist was upgraded to IDC.

If you are concerned you can request that your biopsy slides be sent to a large cancer center for a second opinion since a pathologist who deals only with breast cancer has more specialized expertise than one who is a generalist. A CA27.29 blood test is sometimes used to evaluate progression in those with cancer but it is not used as a diagnostic tool.

A second opinion is always a good idea if you have doubts.