Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Wellbutrin and anastrozole

Options

My MO prescribed Lexapro because he knows more about it, he said. I asked to try Wellbutrin instead because of the depression and fatigue I am feeling from the AI. I have been on ADs in the past, including Wellbutrin, and know it’s a commitment if you want to benefit from them. I started

Lexapro but quit after a few days. I don’t want to go through all the side effects and withdrawal. Does anyone have experience with Wellbutrin since starting AIs?

Tagged:

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,035
    Options

@bakemeacake that is a very good question regarding potential interactions with the AIs. Have you talked with your MO about that? We'd be curious what they say.

Some people favor Cymbalta, as it also helps ease joint pain, should that be a side effect you are experiencing.

https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/duloxetine-eases-ai-joint-pain

We're here for you!

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,879
    Options

I have been on Wellbutrin for years and took it with anastrozole. I haven't had any problems and no one has thought there was a problem interaction. I'm taking it now with Ibrance and Letrozole.

• bakemeacake
    bakemeacake Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thanks, wren 44. I ran across a PubMed article while Googling that states there is actually some evidence of bone loss protection from bupropion—for rats anyway :) MODS: I did talk to my MO about Wellbutrin and he said he didn’t have experience with it but that patients had good results with Lexapro so that’s what he quickly prescribed. I will call him.

Abuohashish HM, Ahmed MM, Al-Rejaie SS, Eltahir KE. The antidepressant bupropion exerts alleviating properties in an ovariectomized osteoporotic rat model. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2015 Feb;36(2):209-20. doi: 10.1038/aps.2014.111. Epub 2014 Dec 29. PMID: 25544359; PMCID: PMC4326785.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,035
    Options

Oh, good to hear that! Also, it's possible to combine Bupropion and Lexapro, as they work a bit differently, and you could get the benefit from both, though of course as with any medication, can also mean different side effects but one could adjust the dosage of course to reduce severity/experience of side effects. Just more food for thought to consider, @bakemeacake. We understand it can be frustrating finding the right treatment regimen.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

I have been on buproprion for years, and my psychiatrist and oncologist had no issues with me continuing it with anastrazole.

That said, my sleep still got all messed up and I can't tell how much of the fatigue is directly from the drug and what is from the sleep-ruined-by-hot flashes.

• bakemeacake
    bakemeacake Member Posts: 10
    Options

Salamandra hi I hope your sleep gets better soon. I take 0.5 mg lorazepam when I can’t sleep. My MO suggested Benadryl instead, which dried me out so bad! I know a lot of people take it for sleep, but I just can’t. Seems my fatigue is caused by anastrozole. I am hoping bupropion will pick up my mood and my energy.

• lyncr
    lyncr Member Posts: 3
    Options

Wellbutrin/bupropion —I started it 8 months into anastozole for motivation/focus while doing talk therapy and that’s what was recommended for my PCP to prescribe. Later on we switched to Cymbalta because that was the only medication approved for pain from both fibromyalgia and side effects of anastozole. Didn’t last long. Back on Wellbutrin.