Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bilateral mastectomy

Options

I had a nipple sparing bilateral mastectomy on 4/1/24. Invasive carcinoma on the left and two spots of DCIS on the right. Lymph nodes were clear. I’m waiting for the Onco results. I am very anxious, and hoping that I won’t need chemo. Recovery has been tough, but I’m only 6 days post op. Pain management has been a challenge, but my new meds seem to be helping. The worst pain is in the arm pit area and by the drains. How long will it take until I feel normal again? I took a shower today, and it was exhausting. 😢

Comments

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 77
    edited April 8
    Options

Hello brittheth, I'm sorry you're experiencing pain post BMX. We all heal differently, so I can't answer your question of how long the pain will last. Stay with the pain regimen your doc has ordered, be patient with the drains-they should be coming out soon, try to utilize any help that is offered so you can rest. Rest is the Best. As far as feeling normal…….again, we all react differently. Like many of us on this forum, you will develop a new normal that works for you. You're not alone, although it probably feels like it. Hang in there. Praying for good onco results. Big hugs!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,980
    Options

@brittheth, welcome to our community! We're sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. Recovery from surgery can be tough, especially in the early days, but know that you're not alone. Besides this thread, we wanted to recommend also the March/April surgery support thread, as it could be a valuable resource for you during this time. There you can connect with others going through surgery at the same time and receive additional support and encouragement. Hope it helps!

Wishing you a smooth recovery and positive results from your oncology tests.

Sincerely,

The Mods

• rnjen
    rnjen Member Posts: 16
    Options

• rnjen
    rnjen Member Posts: 16
    Options

My bilateral mastectomy was tough and recovery was long but every day things got better especially after getting the drains removed. A lot of my pain was from the drains and I felt so much better after they were removed. Praying your Oncotype comes back soon with good results. Keep us posted. Wishing you all the best.

• snm
    snm Member Posts: 84
    Options

@tulla The pain stinks but you will get better. The body is surprisingly resilient. Give it time. If helpful, check out "Tips for bilateral mastectomy with immediate tissue expanders and implant exchange." I documented my journey after BMX including recovery.