Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Pros/cons to continuing reconstruction surgery

Options

Good day to all my fellow Warriors!
I’m a 65 year old woman who had a bilateral mastectomy with breast tissue expanders for future reconstruction surgery, on 3 26/24. The JP drains were removed on 4/4/24 and my first saline injections to the expanders, was doe on 4/11/24. On 4/12/24, I developed a low grade fever and their was a Betadine color liquid actually dripping from the bottom of original surgery site. Went back to my plastic surgeon immediately. He had insert another JP drain and was put on antibiotics for a 10 days course. My question and concern is should I even bother going through reconstruction surgery, do I even want to think about that in 10-15 years I will have to change the implants, assuming that nothing else goes wrong? Any thoughts or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,792
    edited April 14
    Options

I am almost 68 ((not a warrior nor fighter, just lucky). I have had my implants for 12+ years. My mo checks them out but there is no reason to exchange them if they aren’t causing issues. I think the 10 year thing is no longer a view held by every doc. Regardless, whether to continue down the recon path is entirely up to you. I am sure you understood, prior to surgery, that things don’t always go as planned and all surgery carries risk and outcomes are not guaranteed. If you continue with recon, could there be further complications? Yes, it’s surgery and all post surgical risks are possible. It’s also possible that you’ll have no complications but there is no way of predicting in advance how things will go. Like so much in life, it boils down to risk vs reward. Good luck with your decisions and take care.