Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bone strengthening meds

Options

what is the protocol on prescribing bone strengthening meds for women on aromatase inhibitors to prevent recurrence?

Comments

• mandy23
    mandy23 Member Posts: 104
    Options

Hi @mariadelpilar -

I don't know the exact protocol……I can tell you what my MO has me doing. I am taking Letrozole (Femara) and having an infusion of Zometa every 6 months. In addition to strengthening bones, the Zometa has shown in some studies to reduce the likelihood of bone mets.

• maggiehopley
    maggiehopley Member Posts: 109
    Options

I am on anastrozole and had my first Zometa last December; my second will be in June. I will have an infusion every 6 months for three years. My dentist told me that the risk of ONJ is very low on this dosing schedule.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,791
    Options

I don’t think there is a particular protocol as each patient is different. Years ago, at least 10, people were kept on them almost indefinitely if they had bones mets as this was thought to be protective against further bone met spread. The research later became less clear on the use of bisphosphonates as a preventative and there were concerns about serious side effects such as spontaneous femur fractures and osteonecrosis of the jaw. I was on an older drug, Aredia, for three years when my mo had me stop. However, not all mo’s take this approach. Please bring up any specific questions or concerns with your mo because she/he is most familiar with your specific situation.