Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

FAST Foward radiation treatment schedule option

Options

Hi, this is my first post. I’m also not sure if my dx signature/details automatically attaches to my post. But I’ll add those details if I need to.

I’m in Canada. The radiation oncologist gave me the option of the Fast Forward dosing schedule of treatment. It’s not first in line protocol here yet because it hasn’t been done long enough for gathering stats and data. But according to studies in the UK, it shows comparable efficacy and the side effects the same as a regular dosing schedule.

In my case FAST Forward would be 10 treatments total. 5 whole breast + 5 targeted. ( Or with regular dosing schedule it would be 20 total, with 15 whole breast + 5 targeted. )

I’m wondering if anybody has experience with the fast forward? Are there things I should be taking into consideration for making a decision? I’m leaning towards choosing this option.

Comments

• rideau_wood
    rideau_wood Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi pearlyeve,

I'm in Canada as well, being treated at PMH and the 5 fraction regime (+/- boost, as indicated) seems to be standard for early breast cancers. I expected to be through it by now but I had to go back for re-excision after positive margins were found after the lumpectomy I had in January. I now anticipate starting radiation in May. Still waiting for pathology on the second surgery though, so who knows.

• pearlyeve
    pearlyeve Member Posts: 3
    edited April 20
    Options

Thanks for your reply Rideau. I hope the margins are clear this time for you. I find Waiting for results to be very nerve wracking.