Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bi-rads 4 Suspicious for Malignancy

Options

Hi everyone. I recently had my yearly mammogram, was called back in for a repeat diagnostic mammogram, and am now scheduled for a stereotactic biopsy on Wednesday. I am the type where I like to plan and research, so that I am prepared for best case/worst case scenario. I know that many say "don't think too much about it until you know more", or "don't Google because you'll drive yourself crazy." While I know this sounds like good advice for some, for some of us, it helps to be prepared with information as it makes you feel more in control and empowered to advocate for your health.
With that said, my scans show a cluster of fine and plemorphic microcalcifications, in varying sizes and density. Everything I have read states that there is a greater chance of malignancy if the calcifications are new, varied in size, coarse and fine, have minimal space between the calcifications, and are more than 5 calcifications per 1 centimeter. Additionally, those having a "crushed stone appearance" tend to be malignant more than those that aren't. While I know it can still mean they are benign, my scans meet all of this criteria. Is there anyone that has been through this enough to be familiar with scans to see if you think I am assessing this correctly. They were coded bi-rads 4-suspicious for malignancy.

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,798
    edited April 22
    Options

booklady,

I am so sorry you find yourself in this position. Most of us have been there and we know how stressful this can be. While I understand your desire to prepare yourself for any possible outcome, it’s difficult for anyone, including your doctor, to say any more than they already have with the information they have available. Please also remember that we are not doctors, and not your doctor. Do you really want our unqualified eyes trying to interpret your imaging? I hope not! As for Dr. Google? He is a dreadful diagnostician. While googling for general information can be helpful, he can tell you absolutely nothing about your specific case.

While I hope that someone will come along with a similar story, please remember that bc, if you have it, is a highly individual disease. The experience of others has no predictive value for anyone else. The waiting, uncertainty, speculation, etc. are all awful but your biopsy results will be what guides your next steps. Although it’s good to be prepared and informed , it may be helpful to simply focus on what you know with certainty right now as the rest will eventually be known. Most of us can empathize and sympathize with you. Take care

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 189
    Options

Hello @booklady24. I don’t know much about calcifications but I just wanted to say Hi and I’ll be thinking of you this week! I think I can understand your need to research (whether that’s a good or bad tendency). That’s how I’ve been through all of my cancer experience. I came across this forum immediately and it brought a lot of comfort to me, reading real life experiences and emotions and not just gathering facts. I know you are trying to wrap your brain around the possibility of cancer. I’m sorry you find yourself going through this and I hope all goes well on Wednesday for you … we all know how slow time seems to crawl before a biopsy.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 189
    Options

Hello @booklady24. I’m thinking of you and hope your biopsy went well. Hopefully you will get answers quickly!!!

• booklady24
    booklady24 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thank you @needs.a.nap ! The procedure wasn't too terrible. The lidocaine did the job and mostly I just felt pressure. They took 6 samples, and said I would hear something in 2 to 7 days. Thank you for thinking of me.