Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Please share stories around Mother's Day! Happy, sad, any reflections!

Options

With Mother's Day celebrated in the U.S. next month, we want to hear your perspectives, memories, and thoughts.

Knowing it can be a special time for families and it can be difficult for many enduring breast cancer treatment or grieving loss, we want to acknowledge your feelings and share some stories in further in our community.

Thank you!!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,003
    edited April 25
    Options

@mara51506 that is so bittersweet. Your mom is watching after you 💕

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,709
    edited April 25
    Options

My mom passed away when I was 48, before my cancer diagnosis. I’m actually glad she didn’t know because two of my brothers were also diagnosed after her passing, one with breast cancer and one with renal cell carcinoma. That would have devastated her. She was an awesome mother and grandmother. I was the youngest of five and, naturally, spoiled. I was very close to her and miss her every day.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 683
    Options

My mom passed away from ALS when I was 33. She was a wonderful mom / grandmother and my children were 4 and 1 when she passed. I feel sad that they missed out on knowing her but grateful she got to see them. Her goal was to make it to my son's 1st birthday and she did. I cherish all the memories we had with her, will miss her always.

I am grateful and blessed to be a mother to a 25 y/o son and 29 y/o daughter. It warms my heart to see them thrive as young adults and pave a way for their futures. On my first visit with my oncologist back in 2016 my husband asked her why she chose oncology. Her response makes me cry when I speak it today. She said; "I love being an oncologist because I give husbands back their wives and children back their mothers." I knew that very day I was meant to be her patient.

I hope God will bless me to survive long enough to see weddings and grandchildren. Keeping the faith!

Happy Mother's day to all whether your a Mom, Aunt, Godmother, Dog/Cat Mom, you are all make a difference in someone's life.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 683
    Options

@aijaz3 Love this, capture's mother's bonds perfectly!

• moderators
    Options

@aijaz3, welcome to our community, and thank you for sharing this beautiful tribute to Mother's Day! We're grateful to have you here. If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

The Mods

• ctmbsikia
    ctmbsikia Member Posts: 754
    Options

While I am in the midst of spring cleanup and it's triggering some anger in me, having to do all these things I've never had to do before, I found this thread! Thank you! Happy Mother's Day to All!

I'm thankful I had a good Mom. I am proud to be a Mom. My daughter is getting married this summer. We are so excited! I am not sure I will ever be a grandmother, but I am totally OK with that in today's climate.

To ease some of the planting and maintenance duties I ordered some silk flowers that fit the wedding theme of wildflowers and lavender. I will put them at my house, the cemetery, and take some down to the bay cottage. Spreading the joy around in the months before the big day!

• moderators
    Options

We love the spreading of joy, @ctmbsikia! Congrats to your daughter on her upcoming wedding — we know it will be a wonderful day full of love and pure celebration! ENJOY!

—The Mods

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I envy anyone who had a decent childhood. Mother's day is not memorable to me…loved my mom but she had too many issues to list here (lived through world war II in Europe)…I hear how well my friends did, raising their kids and it solidifies my decision not to have had any.

• moderators
    Options

@wallycat we're really sorry that you had a difficult childhood. So much trauma caused from wars. Sending you lots of hugs 🤗

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 9,888
    Options

my mother just passed away January 4 2024, and she and I were close. I miss her and I struggle everyday without her words. I’ve never felt such grief and sadness before. She was my closest oldest relationship/relative that I have. I wish everyday to have her back. Mother’s Day is going to be so very difficult for me this year. I guess every year but this is the first. I never wanted her to go. I hope I see her again in heaven. If there is such a place. .

• luvdbyhim
    luvdbyhim Member Posts: 175
    Options

My mom was an amazing single mom and still is. I never had any sisters so she is like my sister now that I am in my late 50s. She is my best friend ever. She lives 3 blocks away from me and even though she is that close and I see her frequently we speak on the phone every day. Sometimes 3 or 4 times in one day! My mom is also close with my adults daughters of which I am so grateful for. One day I called my mom to see if she wanted to run errands. She paused and then stuttered. She said Oh the girls (my daughters) and I were going out to lunch today. You can come if you want too. It warmed my heart so deeply that my girls made plans with her. I said no, go and enjoy the time with the girls without me. My mom is 75. She is in excellent health and I think she will live well into her 90s like her father. I made my girls promise me they would make sure she is never alone when her time comes since I would not have the honor of being there for my mom.

• moderators
    Options

@micmel We're so very sorry for your loss. This holiday must be very tough for you going forward, but maybe you can use it as a time to reflect on all of the wonderful times you had with your mom. Sending gentle hugs.❤️

@luvdbyhim what a wonderful relationship you have with your mom; she clearly did a great job raising you! It's so touching having your daughters be so close to her as well — what cherished memories you all have together!

Thank you both for sharing!

—The Mods

• tougholdcrow
    tougholdcrow Member Posts: 25
    Options

My mother died of a very aggressive brain tumor that took everything, her mobility, her speech, her mind. She was the head of social services in her county and gave her life to helping poor kids. Her decline was incredibly painful to watch, but I think she will be a bodhisattva in her next life.

• moderators
    Options

@tougholdcrow your mother sounds like an amazing person. We're so sorry to hear how her life ended, but she clearly made a great impact on those around her. Sending big hugs as you remember her!

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 47
    Options

My mom will be 86 at end of this month. She still going strong and she does not know about my cancer diagnoses. I am her only child and this is something that I dont want her to know. Out of all the things that I worry about after DX was her. My kids will have my husband and his family to lean to. She will/may not have anyone as my dad passed away 10 years ago. I want to spend time with her not just on mother's day. The last few times I saw her, I almost broken down and had to leave asap so she wont get any ideas on what is happening.

I am lucky to be caught at an early stage but there is no guarantees on what the future holds. I want more mother's day and b-days with her along with my girls. Cancer blows.