Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ki-67- ONCOTYPE? What was everyone’s experience?

Options

I’m just sort of curious. For those who had a ki-67 number before your oncotyoe, what were your numbers? I’m wondering how often a high ki-67 results in a high oncotype, and vice versa. What’s your experience?

Comments

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    Options

my Ki-67 was 60 and my oncotype was 32 or 34 I forget. high and high basically

• waves2stars
    waves2stars Member Posts: 116
    Options

ki-67 can values can be different depending on methods used to score it, so it can be unreliable on its own. Also, I believe the level of estrogen in your system due to your cycle can effect the score. It should correspond with your oncotype score. My biopsy showed ki-67 of 40%, and was done during peak estrogen days during my cycle. My final pathology showed ki-67 of 15%, was done during lowest estrogen days of my cycle, and my oncotype was 14.

• 2019whatayear
    2019whatayear Member Posts: 468
    Options

thats very interesting waves.

• ebfitzy
    ebfitzy Member Posts: 50
    Options

@waves2stars yes very interesting! M ki-67 showed 40% both times. I was really just curious because some things I read say big correlation between the two and others say no correlation or little correlation.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 911
    Options

Ki-67 is only one of the markers used to calculate your oncotype. My ki-67 was 40% and my oncotype was 24 so no recommendation for chemo at my age. I did have a surprise positive lymph node and LVI but the only change to my treatment plan was the addition of axillary radiation. In spite of treatment generalities everyone’s situation is unique so it is impossible to predict what is going to happen until all the results are in and your MO considers your case in conjunction with any other health issues you may have and your preferences.

• ebfitzy
    edited April 28
    Options

@maggie15 thanks for the info! I also had the LVI and lymph node involvement. I’m seeing a radiology oncologist now in addition to the medical oncologist. I’ll be anxious to see if they also end up deciding to radiate. I did the mastectomy in hopes of not having to do that but I’ll do whatever I have to I guess! I know radiation is nothing but I am working a full time job so didn’t love the idea of radiation so many days per week.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 911
    Options

@ebfitzy , If you are working hospitals are good about scheduling you for radiation late or early. I was teaching online and had to drive 100 miles each way. I stayed overnight in a hospital owned hostel (basic but cheap) and made two round trips a week. They ran the linac machines from 6 am to 9 pm and a shorter schedule on Saturday. I didn’t get totally wiped out until it was over and fortunately school was out then. You’ll manage to do whatever you have to. FMLA is available if you end up having treatment which impacts your ability to work. I hope things go smoothly for you.

• ebfitzy
    Options

Thanks for this helpful info @maggie15 !! I’m sure I’ll swing whatever comes my way. It is what it is!

• ars31178
    ars31178 Member Posts: 10
    Options

My Ki-67 was .08 and 3%. It was checked at different labs. My oncotype was 7. I was stage 1A, no node involvements. Had lumpectomy and 5 accelerated partial breasts radiation treatments.

• nanaofgirls
    nanaofgirls Member Posts: 2
    Options

My KI-67 was 50 but my ONCOTYPE was 18, no chemo needed, Stage 1B, Grade 2, 4 cm, right Invasive Lobular Cancer, 3 lymph nodes positive but not beyond the sentinel nodes, had a double mastectomy, 15 radiation treatments. Recently started Anastrozole and my oncologists is suggesting Verzenio because of the hi KI-67. Weird the KI-67 score and Oncotype scores are so different, one low risk, one high risk. Has anyone else experienced this ?

• ebfitzy
    Options

@nanaofgirls thats VERY interesting!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,034
    Options

@nanaofgirls thanks for sharing this information. Verzenio is typically recommended if you have the high Ki-67 , and positive lymph nodes. Take a look at this article https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/verzenio-approved-to-treat-early-hr-pos-bc-with-high-risk-of-recurrence

So your treatment team thinks this would be beneficial to help reduce risk of recurrence. Given the positive lymph nodes, this is the reason that they are likely recommending Verzenio. You may want to talk with your treatment team in more detail about this, and maybe consider a second opinion if that would give you some help making your decisions.

We're here for you,
    Your Mods

• nilespark44
    nilespark44 Member Posts: 31
    Options

My Ki67 was 43% and Oncotyope 10. No chemo needed. On Tamoxifen for 5 years. My cancer: IDC Stage 1 grade 2. No lymph involvement.

My very good oncologist told me that in the last 10 years - Oncotype TRUMPS your Ki number. I hope this helps.

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 42
    Options

I didn’t get any Oncotype score as my cancer was in my nodes so they knew I had to do chemo.

My ki-67 score was 75%.

Scared me witless. But my oncologist explained it’s not a standardised thing and many hospitals (I’m in the UK) don’t even report on it.

• ebfitzy
    Options

@clars mine is also in my lymph nodes, but it was still an option for me to have an oncotype test! I guess it’s a little different here in the US.