Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Difficult Reconstruction

Options

I had a reconstruction with expander and then implant when I was diagnosed with breast cancer 12 years ago. I had an excisional biopsy in November that never healed so they removed the implant and placed a new tissue expander. Unfortunately, because of the radiated skin, I had two infections and the expander had to be removed. The plastic surgeon seems unsure whether we will be able to proceed with a lat flap or diep flap (I have a low bmi). We will be discussing options in September. I really, really don't want to live my life flat. The thought of this is giving me extreme anxiety. I already have lymphedema which has really affected my body image/confidence. A few questions:
1- Has anybody ended up with a successful reconstruction after being rejected or told it would be difficult by a surgeon? I would so appreciate stories for hope!
2 - Are there any surgeons in Canada or US that are known for tackling diffcult reconstruction?

Comments

• fd1
    fd1 Member Posts: 57
    Options

Just bumping once more to see if anybody is around….

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 926
    Options

I don't have any recommendations from experience but when my DH required complicated elbow surgery that nobody would tackle he asked the orthopedic surgeon as well as suggested ones if they had any ideas about who might do it. It took quite a few inquiries but he did end up with a surgeon who took him on. After a long surgery and 18 months of PT he got the use of his arm back. It will probably take some calling around but the surgeons themselves tend to know their colleagues and their comfort levels with certain conditions and procedures.

I don't know much about this practice but the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery in New Orleans, LA does nothing but breast reconstruction. They might be able to help or recommend. Radiation can have really destructive side effects. I hope you find someone with some ideas.

• dimples90
    dimples90 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have experience with reconstruction after radiation. In fact, I have had failed implant reconstruction, lat flap and DIEP.
    My DIEP was done by Dr. Dellacroce in New Orleans at the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery. I am very pleased with my outcome. Nothing but praise for them! They tackle the difficult cases. Would suggest you have a consult with them. You can do a virtual one.
    Let me know if you have any more questions.

• waves2stars
    waves2stars Member Posts: 116
    Options

PRMA in San Antonio is pretty great, and also the Center for Restorative Breast Surgery. I did a lot of research for my Diep back during covid befor they removed their online portfolio and the results were amazing. Both facilities may be able to do a remote consultation.