Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I am so scared :(

Options

Good morning everyone! I'm writing because I needed to vent to someone about this subject... I'm 38 years old. 3 months ago I discovered a large lump in my left breast. I don't know how I hadn't realized it before, but the truth is that when I found it, I decided to go to the gynecologist. She scheduled me for an ultrasound. On ultrasound I had BIRADS 3, but it seemed inflammatory and I should repeat the exam after adequate therapy.

I showed it to the gynecologist, she asked me to have another ultrasound and a mammogram within 2 months, in the meantime I underwent anti-inflammatory treatment, but the lump did not disappear. I waited 2 months and repeated the exams.... BIRADS 5, affected armpit, and the radiologist asking me to go to my doctor very urgently, without telling me what I have. He wrote the report in 10 minutes and asked me to urgently go and speak to my doctor. But my doctor isn't here until next Wednesday, which is when I'm going to show her this.

I've cried a lot, I'm in a panic! I'm not prepared for this, I know no one is, but my life already had enough problems and I don't know where I'm going to find the strength for this... I found this forum full of strong and fantastic people and maybe I can find a little hope :(

Thank you everyone in advance!

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,319
    Options

@catarina_fm, we're deeply sorry to hear about what you're going through, but really glad you found us and decided to share your story with us. We understand that uncertainty and waiting for answers can be extremely stressful, but it's important to try to take things one step at a time. Please keep us posted on your appointment next Wednesday. And if you can while you wait, try to keep yourself distracted by spending time with family and friends, or doing activities you enjoy.

We're glad to hear you've found hope in this community. Definitely, you're among people here who understand and support you. You're not alone! 💞

Best wishes,

The Mods

• mandy23
    mandy23 Member Posts: 113
    Options

Hi @catarina_fm -

Very sorry for what you are going through, but really glad you found this community. We are here for you and will help you IF this turns out to be BC. Take a deep breath. You don't know what you don't know. As the mods said, find something that makes you happy to do as you wait for your appointment. Unfortunately, a big part of all of our journeys has been waiting.

You WILL get through this! Take things one step at a time.

Take care.

• catarina_fm
    catarina_fm Member Posts: 11
    Options

A huge thank you to all of you. This is very scary, but I'm grateful to be able to share it with someone who unfortunately understands all my stress. I'll do my best to follow your advice, and try to distract myself and stay calm. All the best to you!

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 110
    Options

Hi Catarina_fm, I am sorry you are here, but glad you found this site. I agree with you, it is very scary, especially during the WAITING period which is by far the hardest part. Can you meet with another doctor in your doc's office to discuss radiologist report or do you want to wait for your doc? If not, keep busy and stay away from Dr. Google. Keep posting here when you need to vent, there are a lot of knowledgeable people here to listen & respond. Big hugs! Hang in there.

• catarina_fm
    Options

Hello everyone. Firstly, thank you very much for your words. It's very important for me to be in contact with people who understand what I'm going through, because only we know what it feels like.

Last Wednesday I went to my first appointment at the national oncology institute. The very experienced doctor who saw me told me that my cancer is very advanced and to prepare for metastases. She also told me that they invest a lot in cases like mine, because I am young. First step will be chemotherapy, as I have a very large tumor (+5 cm) and already affected nodes. I have a lot of exams to do soon. A PET scan, a biopsy, an MRI, an X-ray, genetic tests, electrocardiogram, etc. On June 17th I will have a multidisciplinary medical appointment, where they will decide exactly how I will be treated.

I believe that after the consultation, my chemotherapy will begin quickly. From what I have read, in cases of breast cancer in younger women, it is necessary to act quickly. It's all been very difficult, from telling friends who were in shock, to telling family who were devastated. This isn't easy. I take this opportunity to say that you are all warriors. I haven't even started yet and I'm already overwhelmed by it all. Thank you again for your support ❤️

• moderators
    Options

@catarina_fm, we are so very sorry to hear of this difficult news, but please know we've all got your back. Any questions that you have, please let us know and we'll all try to help. Sending big, big hugs to you!

—The Mods

• moderators
    Options

Checking in on you @catarina_fm. How are you holding up?

—The Mods

• catarina_fm
    Options

Hello, thank you very much for your concern. Now I'm waiting to do the necessary tests and find out the detailed diagnosis. It's a very scary walk and it's been very hard to see the pain of my family and friends. I'm holding on. It's unfair (unfair for all of us) but I have to face it. I will keep you updated.

A big hug to you and thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• moderators
    Options

Hi @catarina_fm,

We just wanted to check in on you, and see if you had received any more information! 🤗

• catarina_fm
    Options

Hello everyone! Thank you for your care.

In fact, I found out my diagnosis yesterday, as I had a multidisciplinary consultation with the doctors.

I have stage 3 HER2+ cancer. I had a lymph node biopsy and it was positive.

The PET, fortunately, was clean. However, the doctors are almost certain that I have more affected nodes and I will undergo a biopsy with markers, I have no idea if this biopsy is uncomfortable or not.

I will undergo 8 sessions of chemotherapy and monoclonal antibodies and then I will undergo surgery with axillary dissection. On July 2nd I will have the PICC inserted and on the 3rd I will start chemo.

I was thinking about moving to a more appropriate topic. I think it will be good to feel more accompanied and I think I will move on to the topic of starting chemotherapy in July. Thank you again and all the best to everyone! :)

• moderators
    Options

Hi @catarina_fm,

While we understand your concerns about those nodes affected, it's great to hear that you had a clear PET scan. We hope your biopsies go well too. Let us know!

We've created a group for those starting chemotherapy in July, so feel free to join and invite others, here: Starting Chemo July and August 2024 Support Thread. You are right, connecting with others going through similar experiences can be very supportive when starting chemotherapy.

Finally, for more information about HER2+ breast cancer, you might find this article on our main site helpful: What is HER2-positive breast cancer?

We're thinking of you!

Sincerely,

The Mods