Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

The Finishing Touch

nancyd
nancyd Member Posts: 557

I had DIEP reconstruction over fourteen years ago That ended with the plastic surgeon making a little nipple shape (I think it was called a C-V nipple). Since it's pretty much the same color as the rest of my skin, it only gives the illusion of a nipple through clothing.

I did some research into areole tattoos back then, but the most realistic were done by artists who were too far away to consider. Some local tattooists were trying to do some but they looked too cartoonish to my eye. So I've lived with my breasts in an "almost finished" state. Then last month, I saw an ad pop up in my Instagram feed for a local tattooist who was doing cosmetic work (lips, eyeliner, eyebrow, etc.)

I contacted them to see if they did areoles, but unfortunately, they didn't. BUT they knew someone who did…someone they had trained under…someone who was not hundreds of miles away…someone who was less than 25 miles away.

I checked out that person's work online and knew I had found the person who would be right for me and my finishing touch! After an initial phone consultation, I met them in person and set a date for the work to be done. It's this week, this Thursday 5/16. I can't tell you how excited I am.

Comments

• mandy23
    mandy23 Member Posts: 125

Hi @nancyd !

Good for you! My ps did my areolae tatoo 20 years ago, but it faded pretty quickly. I am now on round 2 BC and will have my nipple (on the latest recon breast) created this summer. Same ps, now has an aesthetician, who does the tatoos. Sometime after the nipple heals, I will have the tatoo done on both breasts.  I'm looking forward to being finally 'done' too.

So exciting for you! Congratulations!