Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Chemo types help

bossmom24
bossmom24 Member Posts: 50

I am so confused!!!! I met with my oncologist who suggested neoadjuvant chemo. AC and then Taxol before surgery. 

BUT because of my cancer type she said I’m eligible for a mammoprint study. HR+, HER2-, ki-77%, 4.7cm tumor, grade 2, 1 lymph node positive. 

They said I could be eligible for immotherapy if I do the study so I said sure! But now…I looked at the details and if my mammoprint comes out ultra high then I get a whole different set of chemo drugs. Paclitaxel, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin. I haven’t heard anything about these! I’m confused how the mammaprint being high would give me completely different chemotherapy drugs. Does anyone know about these? What is the 2nd kind? Is it aggressive? Does it compare to AC and Taxol? The whole thing has me so stressed not knowing what to do. If I do the study, it’s more waiting for testing and I just want to get this over with! But maybe it’s a better predictor of what kind of chemo I need??

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249

bossmom , ??

• harley07
    harley07 Member Posts: 355

@bossmom - it’s best to confirm with your oncologist as I’m not a medical professional. However my understanding is:

Paclitaxel is the generic of brand name Taxol (I’m being treated with this for ovarian cancer)

cyclophosphamide is the generic of Cytoxan

doxorubicin is the generic of Adriamycin

The last two = AC chemo; this link may provide additional clarification https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5575939/

Again, I’m not an expert so please check with your care team.

Best of luck

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,249

bossmom,

I agree with harley07. Your oncologist is the expert, not only in oncology, but in knowing the particulars of your bc. We may be experienced patients but the questions and concerns you have are best addressed by the person who is most familiar with your case, your oncologist. Please know that there are quite a number of chemo drugs and not a single one comes with any guarantees nor can we or should we, the non-oncologists, make any recommendations. The one thing I wouldn’t worry about is the impact waiting for mammaprint will have on your health as bc is not an emergency and the mammaprint might yield some actionable results.
    Take a few minutes to note all your questions and concerns and then call or email your mo. My mo is usually great about answering email and I found that was often quicker than waiting for her to return my call. And, as I have previously suggested, if you feel your mo is not being responsive or adequately answering your questions, find another one. You are entering into a semi-long term relationship with your mo so you should feel completely comfortable with them and they should be responsive to your questions. Unless you have reason to mistrust your mo, they will be a far more knowledgeable resource on this issue than we are so that’s the place to go! Take care

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited May 16

Most every drug has a generic name and that’s what you’re reading. It’s just it’s the same thing.

• bossmom24
    bossmom24 Member Posts: 50

thank you. That makes sense. I’m not getting all the answers I need from the oncologist about this study….