Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

June and July 2024 Surgery Support Thread

moderators
moderators Posts: 8,464

Please gather here to get and give support. Feel free to share your type of surgery, date, and let us know how you're preparing and how you're doing post-surgery. We're all here for you!

Comments

• tetiana87
    tetiana87 Member Posts: 8

Hello, my surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday, 6/25. I was diagnosed with DCIS (two spots) in the right breast. I chose bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I was terrified of the surgery when I first learned that I need it, but as the time passed I realized I’m not as scared. I met with the oncologist last week and per my oncologist, all further treatments will depend upon node involvement. MRI showed one suspicious node. Waiting was hard as it’s been almost two months since my diagnosis but now I’m close to being on the other side. I hope all goes well and without complications. Also hoping for good news in the final pathology when it returns!

• lh1981
    lh1981 Member Posts: 13

Hi tetiana,

Best of luck for Tuesday! I'm scheduled for 6/28, lumpectomy, IDC, also two spots in right breast.

Debated so much over whether to opt for bilateral mastectomy instead. Still not 100% sure, but I've made the decision and I *think* it's the right one for me.

Wishing you speedy recovery and good news with pathology results!

• tetiana87
    edited June 21

Hi @lh981,

Thank you so much! I’m wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery as well! Let’s keep in touch to see how we both recover from the surgeries. I was hoping for a lumpectomy but my surgeon refused to save the right breast: I have calcifications throughout my right side and she said she couldn’t keep track of them in the future. Since I was told the right breast had to go, I chose the bilateral mastectomy. I feel it will be easier to reconstruct both of them at the same time.

I really hope our surgeries go well next week 🤞

• lh1981
    lh1981 Member Posts: 13

Hi tetiana87,

Wishing you luck with your surgery today! Will be thinking of you and hoping for a smooth procedure and good pathology results 🤞

Definitely love to keep in touch, let me know how you're doing when you're up to it?!

• daca44
    daca44 Member Posts: 2

My surgery will be next week and it's lumpectomy although I wanted mastectomy but in my country we can't choose, it's doctor's choice. I have faith in him, and he said that he is going to do lumpectomy through the incision I had a month ago where only part of the cancer was taken out. And during surgery they are going to check my nodes and see if they are going to take out any or none at all. No one talks to me as a patient, no one gives me information I have to find information online and that's pretty overwhelming. But, I live in Serbia and that's how things are done here. So I'm really greatful for places like this where I can find information and other people's experiences. All of you have my support.

• tetiana87
    edited June 26

Hello @lh1981,

thank you so much! I did it! I just had my surgery and I’m now recovering in my room. It went well and they were able to do immediate reconstruction. I’m in pain but not too bad as of now. It’s more discomfort and numbness in my entire body. I was told tomorrow it will be opposite: numbness will go away and pain will increase. We’ll see. I’m also weak on my legs and most definitely dizzy. Hoping for a good recovery tomorrow so I can go home🤞my husband said that per doctors my lymph nodes are negative as of now! The final pathology will tell us for sure and I hope it stays that way!

• tetiana87

Hello @daca44,

best of luck to you next week! I’m sorry to hear that there is not enough communication between you and the doctors. I wanted to choose a lumpectomy but my doctor refused to do it since my risks of it coming back were very high. I chose a bilateral mastectomy so it would be easier to reconstruct and my doctor thinks I won’t need radiation therapy with that. I love my doctors and I feel so blessed with my team! I would suggest writing down all of your questions and asking them on the day of your surgery. I hope you’ll get more answers from your doctor. I will check on you next weeks. This community is amazing! I have found a lot of answers to my questions here.

• moderators

@daca44, welcome to our community! We wish you the best of luck with the lumpectomy next week. We'd love to hear how it goes and how you're doing. We're here for you!

@tetiana87, thank you for sharing your experience! We're glad to hear the surgery went well. Our best wishes for a speedy and smooth recovery to you!

The Mods

• tetiana87

@moderators Thank you so much!

• purpletiger
    purpletiger Member Posts: 19

I'm doing a lumpectomy and sentinal node biospsy on Friday. Just got 3 seeds injected this morning. Hoping for a smooth procedure with no complications. Just wanted to wish everyone else good thoughts whose going thru surgery this month.

• whitneybugni
    whitneybugni Member Posts: 3

Hello everyone,

Sending everyone positive thoughts and smooth recoveries. I am scheduled for a bilateral mastectomy and a lymph node targeted auxiliary dissection July 25th. I have debated this decision for months. I am nervous. Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

• purpletiger

had lumpectomy (8 cm tumor) and sentinel node biopsy yesterday. Surgeon said he got clear margins and removed several lymph nodes. They gave me oxycodone in the hospital and I’ve just been on Tylenol after that. I’m drinking a lot of water to try to get the dye out of my system asap and walking gently to keep things circulating. My doctor and nurses said do not be a couch potato so I’m trying to stay active very gently. Picked up some cheap front closing bras yesterday so I can wear them 24/7 while I heal. So far so good. Definitely not as tough as chemo so far. Hope this helps anyone unsure of surgery.

• daca44
    daca44 Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

I'm recovering from my lumpectomy and auxillary node removal, and I"m satisfied with my surgery and recovery, as is my surgeon. All the margins on the tumor are clear, and all of my lymph nodes were removed as per protocol, since there were a few nodes with tumor. I didn't take any painkillers since I don't really feel pain, just numbness and it's always better after I do my exercises for preventing lymphedema. I'm meeting my oncology team on Tuesday to get my therapy, and I'm anxious about that, even though my surgeon told me that I will be receiving chemotherapy, radiotherapy and hormon therapy. It's a lot to digest, and a lot to receive but I am now prepared emotionally for that. Physically, I'll take one step at a time. Wishing all of you nice and speedy recovery 💕

• moderators

@daca44, thank you for the update. It’s great to hear that your lumpectomy went well! Also, best wishes for your upcoming therapy. Taking it one step at a time is the best approach!

The Mods

• burgundy99
    burgundy99 Member Posts: 4

Hi, So thankful to hear all your stories as I dont feel so alone. I'll be going in for a lumpectomy 8/21/24. It's scary cause I don't know what to expect. This is why this site is so helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience, strength and hope!

• purpletiger

@burgundy99 I was scared too and this site has been so helpful. For me, the lumpectomy was so smooth and zero pain in recovery. I hope yours is too!

• purpletiger
    edited August 19

Here's a quick update: Post lumpectomy and sentinal node removal, the report showed the surgeon got a 1mm margin so he recommended another mammogram to be sure. Just got the mammogram results back and it shows 3mm of DCIS.
    This means going back in for a 2nd lumpectomy. They plan to take out 1 cm this time to be sure they capture all of it.

I'm not feeling upset by this. I'm thankful that my surgeon asked for the mammogram and we found this area of DCIS before it turns into invasive cancer.

I will need to get a seed placed in the breast and hopefully the 2nd lumpectomy will be just as smooth as the first one.

I hope all of the ladies here are doing well (as could be expected while we go through this!). Thinking of you!

• zuppamom
    zuppamom Member Posts: 1
    edited August 21

Hello, I'm scheduled for a lumpectomy, sentinel node biospy, and a breast reduction on both sides. Based on family history, etc. I have a 35% chance of recurrence. Is there anyone I can hear from who changed their mind and got a double mastectomy?

DX IDC, 6/2024, left, ER+, PR+, HER2-

• moderators

@burgundy99, we're just checking in on you to see how your surgery went today. Hope you're recovering nicely! Keep us posted.

Hi @zuppamom, and welcome to Breastcancer.org. We're so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to find our amazing community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement, and support — we're all here for you!

We're sure you'll get some good advice here about your surgery decisions. In addition, you may want to also start a new thread here in the Surgery forum where lots of other members can weigh in with their experiences on making the decision to go with a mastectomy vs. lumpectomy.

In addition, you might find this thread helpful:

Also, see our information on Mastectomy vs. Lumpectomy.

We hope this helps and please let us know how else we can support you.

—The Mods

• burgundy99

Well the lumpectomy went smoothly, no pain in these couple days afterward. Thanks purpletiger for letting me know beforehand that no pain afterward was possible. I have clear margins on one of the lesions but have to wait till the second one clears pathology. I'm kind of scared to look in my bra and see what my breast looks like but that will be tomorrow 's mission. Looking at radiation in about a month. That's another scary subject. Do many women experience fatigue or only some? I'm already a very tired person so I'm worried about that. But one thing at a time. I'm thankful today surgery went well.

• whitneybugni

https://community.breastcancer.org/en/profile/burgundy99 So happy you are not having pain and have clear margins! I struggled a lot with looking at my breasts after my bilateral mastectomy. Everyday it got a little easier. All the change is overwhelming especially when you are preparing to start radiation. Hoping you give yourself a lot of grace.

• whitneybugni

https://community.breastcancer.org/en/profile/zuppamom I had a bilateral mastectomy on July 25th. I debated the decision for a long time between lumpectomy vs single side mastectomy vs bilateral mastectomy. I ultimately decided to do the bilateral mastectomy because it felt like the choice that gave me the most freedom and piece of mind considering my family history, dense breast tissue, and recurrence rate. Although having a yearly mri is nothing compared to the rounds of chemo and surgery, it just didn’t feel like something I could mentally handle after all of this. So I opted for the bilateral mastectomy. Doctors only removed three lymph nodes. I had expanders placed to help my skin stretch for reconstruction and protect it during radiation.

I have done really well this last month after the surgery. I have had very little pain. My margins are clear! The only issue I have had is my skin is a little angry and has taken slower to heal. I needed to go back for a small surgery on August 21st. Doctors excised the wound sites to promote faster healing so I won’t have to delay radiation.

I don’t regret my decision for a bilateral mastectomy even with the second unplanned surgery. I woke up from surgery feeling relieved and like I was making a good step forward.

• purpletiger

So glad to hear it went smoothly @burgundy99 ! My occupational therapist told me to start doing scar massage and I was afraid to even touch my breast that much for 2 weeks. I slowly started doing the scar massage and glad I did. It seemed to help soften the hard scar tissue in my breast.

I just finished going through a 2nd lumpectomy.

First one - went smoothly. Surgeon said he got close margin - 1 mm. Since it was so close, got another mammogram. The results showed 3 mm of "precancerous" cells so we went in for a revision lumpectomy.

Second one - went smoothly last week. Surgeon thinks he got everything but the radioactive seed that was implanted prior to the surgery dropped out of position so he wasn't able to see everything he wanted to. Felt sore immediately aftewards and for about 48 hours. I think because he went in deeper this time than the first lumpectomy. Am waiting for results from pathology.

Next up is consultation with radiologist.

Just trying to take one day at a time, give myself grace and do the post-operation exercises to try to keep my circulation up and keep full range of motion of my arms.

• burgundy99

Hi all, well I was told they didnt get it all and I have to get a 2nd lumpectomy. Surgery is scheduled tomorrow. I hope it goes as smooth as the first. Purpletiger thanks for sharing about the scar massage. I haven't heard about this. I have radiologist appt in a week. Scared about fatigue side effect. I have to work thru this and am worried I won't be able to make it thru. Hoping and praying it's not that debilitating. Yes, one day at a time.