Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Have you experienced PTS or PTSD following a breast cancer diagnosis?

Please share below your experiences with PTS (post-traumatic stress) or PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). How has this affected your life, the way you feel, your relationships, activities? And how are you managing?

Have you experienced PTS or PTSD following a breast cancer diagnosis? 47 votes

Yes
89%
claireinazcinnamonsbffraparigamicmelrrobin0200hersheymomla1986mavericksmomcatchiwraddenbachkimwilkins88simplysuegabalaprildavies72txfluffy5emiliamartyjuhoodwscklrtts3pFlicka 42 votes
No
10%
bpgasseeqkaynotrealnamedlwalls12sepia_sunfury 5 votes

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,417

@mavericksmom we're so sorry to hear about that letter, and all it evoked. It IS infuriating when you don't feel heard, or understood. There should have been an apology and explanation. And we couldn't agree more that part of the care for breast cancer SHOULD automatically include a mental health expert. We're glad you still have a good, working relationship with your med oncologist!

We appreciate you sharing your experiences, and are sending you hugs.

• bcfightr24
    bcfightr24 Member Posts: 83
    edited June 23
    Yes

I can say my journey is not anywhere near @mavericksmom experience. My hat's off to you and God bless you! But, I have been diagnosed with PTSD for other reasons and I know this will be added to the list.

I have been recently diagnosed with Stage 1A IDC & DCIS back in February of this year. I had my annual mammogram in January and was called by my gyno's office by a MA, nurse or CNA or whoever and she was trying to explain my results but she couldn't relay it with accuracy. So not thinking of it I went on believing everything was okay. Until, I got The Letter. You know the one, "…there is an area(s) of concern…" So here's your next appointment for another mammogram and ultrasound. I cried but tried to think positive because the last time I got a letter like that back in 2017, it was a papilloma.

Fast forward just a bit, I had my lumpectomy on May 3. Went through the lymph node injection (not pleasant), had guide wires inserted (again not pleasant), more mammograms, blood tests, etc. It was an exhausting two days. I cried a lot, told my surgeon team that if I died on the table, they would be haunted for the rest of their lives. They were great…still ALIVE!

Now I'm in the post-op phase and was told that I would see a medical oncologist and radiation oncologist. More doctors!! I had the MO appt and was told of my options…UGH!!! Since I have other physical and mental health issues, I fear that the AI and OVI will negatively interact with my meds. I've tried to contact my doctors for help and no response so far. I also had my RO appt last week and was scheduled for CT scan/simulation for today on the opposite side of town (not happy with that) and it is possible I could have my daily treatments on the opposite side of town, as well….NOOOOOO!!!

With all this going on, I had a melt down and cried at my family lunch this past Saturday. I told everyone that I did not want treatment. Of course, everyone had their say. My anxiety has been heightened and it has been exhausting. I've cried in the shower today and don't want to go to my appointment; but I know I have to go.

My husband has been my rock and he has been right there with me but I can honestly say that this is going on the list of traumas. God knows if I will go back and get my mammogram in the future.

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 426
    edited June 12
    No

I haven't experience it but only because I experienced it first with my mother's cancer death eight years before. So any lingering issues I have were there before my diagnosis. But I do have incredible scanxiety. Even blood work right now bothers me. I want to just be left alone. I fight through it as needed but I imagine it will always be a challenge. Good thing I fight through it, though. It was the only reason my breast cancer was caught. I hated mammograms something awful but never missed one.

• lovelau
    lovelau Member Posts: 42

I am in remission for 6 years. I have anxiety all the time plus I have Covid right now. Im so sick of the anxiety. The psyc said I have ocd cause I keep asking the same questions. Since I have ocd they do not give you reassurance. He asked me if I had dreams about the bc I said no so he said I didn’t have ptsd. I had bmx cause I thought it would help me move be on but that didn’t help. There are no tests once you get bmx. My oncologist told me she would never say I would be ok because she is supersticious and does not want to jinx anything. She did a few scans said they found no cancer and sent me to my pcp for follow up. Anxiety meds don’t work for me. I exercise everyday. Walk or swim . Can’t now cause I have Covid. I know people who do ok after bc their mental health is ok. I asked my mental health providers if they had experience helping people with bc, they say “probably”. I would like to get rid of the anxiety but don’t know how. I would love to relax and move on and travel but I’m so caught up in bc and anxiety. Will the bc come back? Who knows and it freaks me out when I think that I could live many years everyday in anxiety. I asked if a psycho oncologist could help me, if they had training and experience that would calm me down. Mavericks mom I understand, I have to be careful of my drs cause I’m afraid they won’t treat me.

I just want to feel better. Feel safe

NIH says people who get diagnosis in right way do better after bc. The emotional aspect is what causes so much anxiety. When you get anxiety then you get physical feelings. Isn’t there a better way to treat us? I have recently go so many solicitations about coaches and programs but not much helps they all looking for money. I pray I will get a little better. Thank you for your prayers

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 94
    Yes

Yes

I think I buried it all down because I need to put on a good front for my family as I have 2 young girls. That could have been contributor to my high BP before the surgery. Once surgery was done, my BP went down and I felt a sense of relieve, almost like ok the "important part" is done. Then came the meds, endocrine therapy, which make it all come back with a full force. Meds are still in my system, just waiting it all to be out. Anxiety, negative thoughts are less now but still somewhere in the back of my mind. I am not taking any drugs for depression or anxiety as I am just scared looking at all those side effects. Right now I am using acupuncture to help manage it. It does not do it 100% but like 70-80%. I dont get some of the crazy side effects like a pill. I can only go 7 days max before another session is needed, but I will take that over SE's any day.

Maybe once the drug is out of me, I can deal and cope better. I just want to be normal again. Yet I know it wont happen.

• moderators
    edited June 14

@mkestrel We're so sorry you are feeling such constant stress. Have you talked to a mental health expert about treatment options to help you? Also, consider joining our meetups (3 different ones for MBC): https://www.breastcancer.org/community/virtual-meetups

@bcfightr24 thank you for sharing. We're glad you have your husband as a strong support. Follow up appointments can be really anxiety producing! We hope you continue though to go 🤗

@lovelau we're so sorry your anxiety continues. Since meds don't work for you, have you considered EMDR?

https://www.apa.org/ptsd-guideline/treatments/eye-movement-reprocessing

Or perhaps you've already done that.

@zen1028 Yes, so hopeful for you that once you're through the treatment, your coping will improve. It's so difficult to have to be the strong mom, when you're not feeling it. Sending you strength.

• Flicka
    Flicka Member Posts: 3
    Yes

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis only after electing to do a lumpectomy/radiation/letrozole vs. mastectomy with no radiation/letrozome. Only when I went I was sent to do see an endocrinologist to treat the osteoporisis did I learn that having had the radiation limits the kind of treatment I can get to improve bone density. I feel like my team really let me down by not taking one look at my bony frame/BMI and saying "maybe you need to get a bone scan before making the decision." I also have breast/chest wall/under arm lymphedema, which require twice daily massages. The letrozole increases arthritic knee pain, which I can't stand. These things depress me and I have hard time moving on.

• moderators

Hi @Flicka, welcome and thanks for posting. We're so very sorry to hear of all the troubles your treatment has brought you, and for the disappointment in your treatment team. Please know you're not alone here, we're all here to hold you up while you manage these ongoing side effects. Sending gentle hugs to you!

Have you considered speaking with a mental health professional about your depression to talk through your feelings?

Here are some resources you might find helpful:

https://www.breastcancer.org/managing-life/taking-care-of-mental-health

https://www.breastcancer.org/managing-life/taking-care-of-mental-health/how-breast-cancer-affects-mental-health

https://www.breastcancer.org/managing-life/taking-care-of-mental-health/how-to-find-support

https://www.breastcancer.org/videos/mental-health-and-breast-cancer

https://www.breastcancer.org/videos/managing-life-with-lymphedema

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment-side-effects/lymphedema

https://www.breastcancer.org/podcast/aromatase-inhibitor-pain

https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment-side-effects/osteoporosis/treatment

We hope this helps. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with. We're all here to support you!

Gentle hugs,

—The Mods

• Flicka
    Yes

Thanks so much mods for your helpful response. I have been trying to find a mental health professional but my schedule makes it difficult. In a couple of weeks I will be able to go to mindfullness in nature mediation for BC survivors and next month an equine therapy program. I'm excited about those two things.

• Flicka
    Yes

I want to add that I am therapist myself, so it can be hard to feel like I am "failing" at taking care of my mental health. It was nice to get the mods note this morning and also to read what other people are going through. I feel less alone in not feeling all better. It's hard when my family says things like "you had your treatment and now you're all better" and I don't want to contradict them, especially elderly parents. And now I feel that just by this forum I am beginning to take care of my mental health.

• sepia_sunfury
    sepia_sunfury Member Posts: 2
    No

I have PTSD that I was diagnosed with Before my breast cancer diagnosis. I don't know but wonder if the cancer diagnosis has significantly changed my PTS experience.

• moderators

@Flicka thanks for all the feedback, and glad you are here sharing. @sepia_sunfury , we welcome you here too, and hope that that the PTS you had prior to breast cancer does NOT get worse. We're all here for you.

• aborayis
    aborayis Member Posts: 412
    Yes

Like @Flicka, I too am a mental health professional - and with a specialty in trauma and EMDR. Hurtling through the fire that is treatment, and knowing I must now live perpetually with the aftermath that includes the possibility of recurrence (and if recurrence, succumbing), and my own personal EMDR journey has stoked my passion for my work and absolutely has made me a better therapist. A silver lining I didn’t ask for, but am grateful to have found.