Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
What part of day-to-day life during your breast cancer experience has been most challenging for you? Take our poll.

Lumpectomy Surgery with SCOUT

First time posting and have had months of waiting for diagnosis due to long wait times for scheduling mammograms, ultrasound and finally a biopsy on May 6th. I have DCIS grade 3 and found out today that genetic testing for 70 mutations was negative. I have lumpectomy planned for August 7 and will have SCOUT procedure before surgery to help breast surgeon remove the cancerous tissue in my left breast. This is all new information and wondering if anyone else had this type of lumpectomy?

Comments

• justsnapd8
    justsnapd8 Member Posts: 88

@dmataraz1 I'm not a candidate for lumpectomy, but I did have a scout procedure. The Savi Scout is a tiny little thing the radiologist implanted to help the surgeon pinpoint the positive lymph node, to make sure she gets it. At the time of surgery, she will wake up the scout with a wand, then she will be lead directly to the scout and the offending lymph node. the scout procedure is easy and there was really no healing time to it.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,417

@dmataraz1 - Welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're sorry for your diagnosis and the time you had to wait. Besides this thread, you might post your question about the SCOUT procedure in the popular discussion called Lumpectomy Lounge....let's talk! The conversation has been quiet for a few months, but this is a good way to kick it up. You'll find lots of useful information and tips there too.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to hearing more from you soon.
    The Mods

• dmataraz1
    dmataraz1 Member Posts: 14

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have the SAVI SCOUT procedure scheduled for July 23 and my lumpectomy surgery on August 7th. I will be meeting with my breast surgeon on Monday to go over the surgery preparations.

• justsnapd8

@dmataraz1 I'm so sorry for the long wait times where you are. Here, they would schedule the scout procedure a few days out! Your clinics need to do better. Good luck!

• dmataraz1

I live in Las Vegas. All my appointments the last year for any doctor is about 2 months out. There are just too many people and not enough healthcare physicians. I was lucky to get the best breast surgeon I could find. She has been a surgeon for 30 years and breast surgery for 15!

• justsnapd8

@dmataraz1 I'm so sorry! The city needs to fix that! I'm happy you have a great breast surgeon though.

• dmataraz1
    edited July 27

I had the Savi SCOUT clip placed with little to no pain on July 23. My partial mastectomy (lumpectomy) is planned for August 7th. I am so relieved to have all the pre-op testing done.

• justsnapd8

@dmataraz1 I'm glad this procedure is behind you, and I know you are too. Let us know how your surgery goes.