Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Multiple Fibroadenomas and Axillary Cysts

My 24 year old daughter noticed a lump in her armpit last year and I dragged her to get an ultrasound, given my BC history. During the ultrasound, they discovered a mass in her left breast as well as the cyst and decided to do biopsies of both. The axillary mass came back as "undefined" with evidence of foamy macrophages and the breast mass was a benign adenoma. In May, she noticed the axillary mass growing again so we returned for another ultrasound and they found a second, smaller mass in the axillary, which they believe is just a cyst. Last week, she went for a GYN checkup and mentioned that she felt the fibroadenoma had grown to a palpable size so they repeated the ultrasound and found it had indeed grown and there was a new mass in her right breast that did not appear on the May scan, as well as a third axillary cyst. A biopsy was done of the new mass in the right breast and they are saying it is another fibroadenoma. My concern is how quickly these fibroadenomas are growing, which I don't believe is normal. The doctor is recommending removal of both due to the growth but doesn't seem alarmed. We'll have a consultation soon and I am planning to take her to my breast surgeon for another opinion. Has anyone experienced such rapid growth of fibroadenomas? Did you opt to have them removed? Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm very concerned about this strange activity in her breasts in such a short period of time!

Comments

• laughinggull
    laughinggull Member Posts: 522

Hi Sabbymama,

I am sorry you are going through this scare with your daughter after having had cancer yourself. Good for you dragging her to the ultrasound!

I had fibroadenomas in my 20s, and had some of them removed -depending on how accessible they were. The ones I didn't get removed were monitored for a few years, then not anymore. They are supposed to be benign and completely unrelated to cancer, but I would also be concerned about the growth. I have no idea if that growth is normal in fibroadenomas, sorry if my answer is not very helpful -I just wanted to say hi and commiserate.

It´s a good thing they are recommending removal. I hope it's just what it seems to be and completely benign.

I don't think you are overreacting at all.

Take care,

LaughingGull