Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Osteoporosis

eileenmk64
eileenmk64 Member Posts: 41

This is my first post here. I was diagnosed on 7/22 with left side IDC, E+P-HER2- and I'm having a lumpectomy next Wednesday 8/28. No genetic markers for cancer. I've had an MRI, the Savi Scout placed yesterday, the sentinel node injection next Tuesday. This morning I had a Dexascan and my surgeon called this afternoon and said I have osteoporosis. My mom had it so I knew it was a possibility for me but I didn't think I'd already have it at age 59 (60 next month). My surgeon said I will be talking to my oncologist about it when I meet with him/her sometime after surgery. So in the meantime I am left to worry. I know radiation and the meds to block estrogen can cause bone loss and here I am before I even start any treatment having osteoporosis. Has anyone else been in this position? Oh and also I found out this morning I have a uti. Not a great day!

Comments

• doodler
    doodler Member Posts: 81

Sorry to hear about all the stress you are having these days, you definitely have a full plate. I don't have osteoporosis, but I have bone metastases and I get a "bone builder" through an IV infusion once every 3 months. It's zometa (zoledronic acid). You may be started on something similar. I don't know what additional treatments might be available for osteoporosis though.

The zometa at least, is a pretty easy infusion for me. It only takes about a half an hour, including the set up time, to do the infusion. I had very slight chills and muscle aches after the first infusion, but zero side effects since that one. I hear it's not unusual to get slight side effects after the first infusion. Nothing to be afraid of I don't think.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,299
    edited August 23

Hi @eileenmk64, I'm sorry that you have been hit with multiple problems to deal with. Osteoporosis does run in families. I've been in a family study for over 40 years now and feel lucky that this has probably prevented some problems. I'm the only one of 5 siblings who still doesn't have multiple artificial joints.

Estrogen blockers do cause bone loss and are often combined with some type of bisphosphonate to counter that. Ask your MO if you can start a BP at least a month before an AI to ensure that it is working. Many MOs are on board with starting the AI after rads are finished to narrow down the cause of any SEs. My endocrinologist cycles me on and off BPs as needed and always orders an N-telopeptide urine test before starting followed up by another one a month later as an easy way of checking the bone strengthener is working. My MO hadn't heard of this test but thought it was a good idea. I am kept in the osteopenia zone.

I hope your surgery and rads go well and the uti clears up quickly.

• eileenmk64
    eileenmk64 Member Posts: 41

Thanks doodler and maggie15! I appreciate your input. I was freaking out when I posted but I'm feeling a little better about things now. I have a call in to my primary to talk about it and then as my surgeon said I guess I will be talking to the oncologist sometime after surgery. It is good to know there are ways to help with this and I can still get the treatment I need. Thanks again for your support!