Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Scar Care

Hi!
I'm curious about the best ways people have found to care for their incision scars. I'm three weeks out from my lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. My physical therapist suggested Vitamin E or coconut oil and gentle self-massage.
I did a quick/limited search online and found several studies that determined that vitamin E wasn't as good as initially thought. I didn't notice anything on coconut oil for scars, but in general, it's good for skin care.
Silicone gel showed up in a positive light in the online search. An esthetician (and breast cancer survivor) I highly value also said that silicone gel was her choice hands down.
What's your experience? What would you recommend? What would you not recommend?

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,300

I used Embrace scar therapy (silicone sheets that stay on for 10 days) on my thyroidectomy scar. It worked really well. I asked my breast surgeon about using it on my lumpectomy and SNB scars but she told me not to bother as her plastics training meant those scars would disappear; she was right.

• steppingstonetowhere
    steppingstonetowhere Member Posts: 18

@maggie15 thank you so much! I will send a message to my nurse navigator to see if my surgeon has had the plastics training, too.
    be well =)

• steppingstonetowhere
    steppingstonetowhere Member Posts: 18

Hi Again!
    My Nurse Navigator talked with our plastic surgeons and they recommended this: Protect Life Silicone Scar Tape -Sensitive.

Has anyone used this? Thoughts?

• tigglewinkle
    tigglewinkle Member Posts: 32

I started out with Scaraway. Ended up with generic CVS brand.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,300

The generic is definitely less expensive; it probably does as good a job as the brand name.