Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Off on a road trip with altitude

lynn1946
lynn1946 Member Posts: 9

Hi friends. I have mildish most of my body lymphedema with a little swelling but not too much. I'm leaving on a road trip and DH is very concerned (more than me) about high altitudes for short periods of time. We plan on Wyoming, Colorado, Utah etc etc, all places we've been before with our little travel trailer. A couple of the places we have to drive through are max 8,000 feet - some 6,000 but not for many hours. For compression I have everything! Stockings, torso, sleeves and gloves. Even have neck and face if it ever came to that (hopefully not). Also swell packs. I've had this for 20 years. I 'd like to know any opinions and if anyone has done such a trip. Most of the journey will be lower than 5,000 feet or even less when we get to NC and Florida. I look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best.

Thanks - Lynn

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,296

Hi @lynn1946, My husband has arm lymphedema from elbow surgery and we traveled out west at the altitudes you are talking about. He wore his compression sleeve and glove without any problems. He did, however, develop altitude sickness which meant we had to change our plans and ascend gradually. When this first happened he took 600 mg ibuprofen (thanks to google) and found an urgent care center the next day. The doctor prescribed Diamox which worked well and probably would have been more effective if he had started taking it in advance.

It was a bit of a surprise since we were visiting places he had formerly lived without any problems but that was pre LE. The doctor said the extra lymph fluid can affect the brain if your body is not adapted. I hope you enjoy your trip but plan to be flexible if necessary.

• lynn1946

Hi Maggie, thanks for responding. Sorry dh has le. Did he sleep at altitude or just drive through for a couple of days. Where was it he developed the sickness? which part and how high? Your comments are very helpful indeed.. we are kinda on the fence about the altitude but I really want to go. Can you be a bit more specific re places and altitudes, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much

Lynn

• maggie15

We live in an area at about 600 ft but locally sometimes are at 3500 ft. We flew into Reno NV which is where it first affected him (4400 ft.) We ended up staying there for a couple of days until he was feeling better. We drove to Devil's Postpile and stayed at Mammoth Lake, CA (7880 ft.) I took the chairlift up Mammoth Mountain on my own. We then drove through Yosemite alpine meadows (8000 ft) to CA to visit my brother who lives at 3000 ft. Heading back to fly out of Denver we went through AZ but had to stay in Flagstaff (7000 ft) a couple of days since the increase in altitude hit him again. We went through CO (stayed in Gunnison 7700 ft) with no further trouble once he had acclimated. The altitude change driving around in that area can hit you right away. If you get the Diamox ahead of traveling and spend a bit of time acclimating if necessary it is certainly doable. We did have to change some reservations on the fly. There's no telling how your body will react in advance. I ended up doing the bulk of the driving. In spite of the changes in itinerary we both enjoyed the trip and I got to see places he had talked about.

• lynn1946

Maggie THANK YOU for this info. I'm really starting to think a different route. I have lymphedema in most of my body including my neck, which is pretty close to my brain lol.. I also have COPD which could also be a problem. I remember Gunnison so well.. loved the area, the black canyon is amazing. I know what my husband is going to say.. different route I think.. we'll still end up in Carolinas and Florida..It's the altitude sickness part that bothers me and my new diagnosis of copd is not inspiring confidence to being at altitude.

I'm really grateful for your input. Thank you so much for taking the time. If you can add anything don't hesitate but you have given me a lot of good info to work on.

Lynn

• maggie15

Lynn, I’m sorry you are dealing with COPD but that is something you also have to consider. I have radiation induced pulmonary fibrosis and need to use a portable 02 concentrator if I go over 4500 ft. I’m glad I traveled as much as I did when I was younger. A road trip at a lower altitude will still be a lot of fun.

• lynn1946

Yeah thanks Maggie..we are already looking at lower routes..we have done all those high places too when  bit younger...we'll find a fun route thanks again Maggie. Be well.

Lynn

• lynn1946

Hi Maggie just to follow up. Thanks to your invaluable info we have changed our route to a more southern one. We've done all the routes before and the southern route is also fun without the possibilities of crisis in the high peaks lol. We feel so fortunate to have seen so many beautiful places and can still, with all our issues manage to continue even if it's in a different way. I hope you and your husband still manage to do some exploring. Thanks again.

Lynn