Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

No Hormones, then what?

I'm 53, had bi lateral mastectomy o 6/2022, Been on Tamoxifen off and on because of suicidal thoughts. Oncologist said I had no other medication choice since I was still getting my periods. I went the drastic route and chose to have full hysterectomy and also remove my ovaries. I am just about 5 weeks post op and I feel extremely sad, with daily crying spells. I know that due to my cancer, I cannot take hormones of any kind ( ER+PR+HER2-). I want to ask other women who have similar situation, how do you get help with the mood swings, suicidal thoughts, crying spells, and sadness?? I am not suicidal. I met with a psychiatrist and they prescribed a medication, but it will not be forever she said. Is anyone taking something that is helping with the extreme depression I could talk to my doctor about? Thank you.

Comments

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,642

SeaBreeze - I am very post menopausal and didn't get my cancer until I was 65 (am 71 now), so I have never dealt with depression in quite the same way you are now, nor have I ever been out and outright suicidal. On the other hand, I have had serious mood problems over the years that have interfered with work, family, and general daily life. About 20 years ago started using a "happy light" (bright light therapy) and I also take SAM-E. Between the 2, I get a notable amount of relief. I don't like most anything by big pharma, and try not to take anything they create, except for my direct cancer meds (Fulvestrant, Verzenio). I get terrible side effects from most drugs, and that's another reason I try to avoid them. Way back in the day, I did try a couple or three different kinds of anti-depressants and they either had no effect or I only experienced side effects and no benefit. I gave up on the idea of taking conventional anti-depressants decades ago. I just continue with my happy light and SAM-E, as they have been a big help. No miracles out there, but there are things that can help quite a bit. The pain management NP that I see encourages meditation and deep breathing for things like depression, with and without conventional anti-depressants, so depending on your personality and preferences, you might want to consider that route also and/or in addition to other things. Just my 2 cents. I'm really sorry you are going through this and I hope you find some kind of relief very soon! Cancer is devastating to so many of us.

• seabreaze
    seabreaze Member Posts: 7

Thank you Threetree for responding so quickly. I'm desperate for suggestions and I will consider yours. I'll look into SAM-E. It's always a catch 22 with taking medications or supplements, because they create other side effects and you go on and on with taking pills. It's a stressful process. Im not big on taking medications as well, but I just feel trapped. Menopause is big business. Cancer is what bonds us together, so thank you for responding. Sending you hugs.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,296
    edited September 1

Hi seabreaze, I second threetree's recommendation of bright light therapy to help with depression. I don't use a "happy light" but I have seen the positive effects on both my husband and daughter who do. You are not adding any chemicals to your body, the lights are relatively inexpensive and my husband uses his as he eats breakfast every day so it doesn't interfere with his schedule. Exercise, yoga, tai chi, meditation and breathing routines are all non-supplement activities that can help people deal with all sorts of mental and physical issues. Even though I take gabapentin for nerve pain I can't sleep unless I walk and meditate. Not everything works for everyone but it is worth trying these to find something that might help. I hope you find a routine that works for you.

• zen1028
    zen1028 Member Posts: 96

Hi seabreaze, have you consider acupuncture? I was having bad anxiety and some depression while lupron (ovarian suppression) was still active in me. This drug put me into menopause within a month and cause a whole bunch of mental issues. Took 6 months for me to get a period back, and I still have residual anxiety issues.

I found relieve in acupuncture back in April. It's still helping me battle the anxiety to this day. As to HRT, have you ask your oncologist or gynecologist if you can use testosterone?

Believe there is a clinical trial using testosterone with anastrozole.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/study/NCT06075953