Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stacked DIEP or latissimus dorsi?

fd1
fd1 Member Posts: 62

I am currently trying to decide between stacked DIEP and latissimus dorsi. I'm leaning torwards latissimus dorsi mainly because of the faster recovery (I have a four year old) but also because I'd prefer a scar on my back to across my stomach. However, I just read a few threads about latissimus dorsi that are scaring me!! Is there anybody out there that doesn't regret their procedure?

Also, anybody who chose one over the other I'd love to know the main reasons why!

Comments

• dimples90
    dimples90 Member Posts: 21

fd1,

I have had both types of surgery. Radiation was the reason. I had severe capsular contraction after the latissimus dorsi surgery. That was the main reason I moved on to DIEP. I traveled from the PNW to New Orleans to have my DIEP surgery. I am very pleased with the outcome of DIEP. Like you, I had read horror stories about the lat flap. Honestly, other than the capsular contracture, I haven’t had issues. I do work out a lot and have noticed that if I try to do certain exercises , I get a pain on my side. I just stop the exercise and it goes away. It also affects me when I’m swimming but not much.
    I didn’t realize that you could still get capsular contracture after doing Lat flap but not every one does. You just never can anticipate what will happen to you.
    I love the softness of my reconstructed breasts. It is a major surgery but well worth it, in my opinion. I know you can find horror stories of women who have had DIEP.
    My best advice is to thoroughly research and find PS who are experienced in the procedures. Look at pics and ask questions.
    Good luck!

• fd1

Wow, good to hear! Thank you so much for replying.

How was your recovery from DIEP? Is the scar hidden if you wear midrise underwear/bathing suit?

My surgeron did warn me about the possibilty of capsular contraction with lat flap. I am doing this because after 12 years I had to my implant removed from my previous reconstruction because of a series of infections after a small biopsy. This is the only reason I am questiong lat flap because I am scared of the implant!

To be positive, my original reconstruction was ruined by radiation and I had basically a bubble boob for more than a decade. It was easier than being flat has been but not by much. I'd love to wear a low cut top again. 😛

• dimples90
    dimples90 Member Posts: 21

fd1,

The scar is low on my abdomen so it’s hidden. Surgery was about 7hrs, both sides done. I was in the hospital for 3 days. The PS cleared me at 6 weeks to resume gym exercises. I waited until 8 weeks though. I was 56y old when I had the surgery 3 yrs ago. I can appreciate your concern of recovery because you have a young child.
    The positive side is that it’s your own tissue, no implants.
    There’s pros and cons to both procedures.
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

• fd1

That doesn't sound as bad a recovery as my surgeon was explaining. He doesn't do the stacked DIEP so I would go to another hospital for that procedure. I'll ask that surgeon more about the recovery. Some of the pictures I saw online, the scar seems pretty high on the stomach so it's good to know that that may not be typical.

Thanks so much!! This place used to be quite active but it seems most people don't use this as much any more.