Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

NorCal Kaiser Dr Rec??

vtown16
vtown16 Member Posts: 4

Hi.
I was diagnosed last week with DCIS and I am feeling pretty overwhelmed.
I need a mastectomy and I am considering an asthetic flat closure.
Does anyone have any experience with a good Kaiser surgeon & plastic surgeon?

I’m in the SF Bay Area so I can travel to any nearby Kaiser. I just don’t know which Kaiser has the best cancer surgeons.

Thanks!

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250
    edited September 16

vtown,

I’m in San Jose and have received all of my tx at the Santa Clara campus. My surgery was 13 years ago and I know that my plastic surgeon is no longer with Kaiser. So while I can’t give you any surgeon recommendations, I have been very pleased with my care and the Santa Clara campus has everything in one location. I have been stage IV the entire time. My current oncologist is Dr. Amy Lei. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• vtown16

Thanks for the reply.
    I’m glad to have the name of a Kaiser oncologist that you trust.
    I am gathering ideas in case I need a second opinion.
    Thanks again. I really do appreciate it.
    xo

• mexicanmary
    mexicanmary Member Posts: 29

That Kaiser Permanente hospital has a good reputation in providing breast cancer treatment in the Bay Area and has three of the best surgeons around. One healthcare facility that could interest you is the Kaiser Permanente Redwood City Medical Center which has a full-fledged cancer center which is home to several breast surgeons.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 609

South San Francisco KP, Dr. Yeh. Serious female surgeon who treats patients and the surgery itself with respect.

• vtown16

Thank you both for the info.
    I appreciate the recommendations!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,558

@ctlovesdogs or @catdoodles, any recommendations?

• vtown16

Update: I did some research on NotPuttingOnAShirt’s website and found a plastic surgeon at Kaiser Oakland, Dr. Benjamin Hornik. I have an appointment in October 2nd.