Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

DCIS, non invasive, Grade II

Hi all,

I am interested in some feedback on treatments that others have had with my diagnosis, and how you're doing? I have been diagnosed with ER+/PR+ noninvasive (Stage 0) Grade II DCIS. I have been given an array of treatment recs, but honestly leaning towards B mastectomy. Any others that have chosen this route? This would keep me from requiring radiation or SERMs, since I am thinking of getting pregnant. (Also side note….2 weeks prior to my first mammogram ever, I completed 2 rounds of IVF. This was caught on routine mammogram screening, I do not have a lump).

Any advice on pros/cons is appreciated. I am also in Los Angeles if anyone has a great reconstructive surgeon to recommend.

Thank you!

Kristina

Comments

• lovefood
    lovefood Member Posts: 6

I had the same diagnosis and choose double mastectomy. I just don’t want to think about getting reoccurrence.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250

This is a highly individual choice and, IMO, you make the choice that feels right for you, knowing that there are no guaranteed outcomes regardless of choice.

Having a mastectomy, bilateral or single, is not a guarantee of no recurrence, though you significantly lower the odds.

From The Cleveland Clinic, 2023:

Recurrence rates for people who have mastectomies vary:

• There’s a 6% chance that cancer will recur within five years if healthcare providers didn’t find cancer in your axillary lymph nodes during your original surgery.
    • There’s a 25% chance of cancer recurrence if your axillary lymph nodes are cancerous. This risk drops to 6% if you receive radiation therapy after a mastectomy.

• tb90
    tb90 Member Posts: 290

For pure DCIS, recurrence following mastectomy is only about 2%. Although mastectomy does have lower percentage for recurrence than lumpectomy, both procedures have equal overall survival. Mastectomy usually prevents the need for radiation while lumpectomy preserves the breast. If you are given the option (meaning you are a good candidate for both), then it comes down to your personal situation and preference. It’s a tough decision for some but either way, your prognosis is almost 100%.