Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Breast reconstruction revision

marea123
marea123 Member Posts: 1
edited October 6 in Breast Reconstruction

Hi! I am new to the forum. I was diagnosed in 2013 and after a double mastectomy I had reconstruction using expanders. I am interested in getting my implants removed and possibly replacing them with new implants. The problem is I was living in Florida when I had my reconstruction. I now live in Hickory, NC and have no idea who to go to. From my understanding, it takes an experienced plastic surgeon to do breast cancer reconstruction revision. I am willing to go to the bigger cities to get to the best, experienced revision surgeon. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

Hello @marea123, and welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're glad you found us and hope you get responses from other members soon.

Although we cannot recommend surgeons specifically, we have some helpful resources on our site about breast reconstruction options and revisions:

Corrective Breast Reconstruction Surgery

What To Ask Your Plastic Surgeon Before Breast Reconstruction Surgery

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with. We wish you the best of luck in finding a new surgeon!

The Mods

• abigailj
    abigailj Member Posts: 108
    edited October 8

you’ll definitely want a plastic surgeon with lots of experience in implant replacement (or any other type of reconstruction you want to explore). Unless a woman you know and trust or your primary care doctor or other trusted medical professional you have has a strong recommendation for one my suggestion is to google something like “breast reconstruction implant surgeon near Hikory NC” and then cross check the doctors that come up against independent review sites (“Dr. X Charlotte NC reviews” for example). And also check you state’s physician licensing site for any malpractice as well.