Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

October 2024 Surgery Support thread

Please gather here to get and give support. Feel free to share your type of surgery, date, and let us know how you're preparing and how you're doing post-surgery. We're all here for you!

Comments

• amesisland715
    amesisland715 Member Posts: 11

Good morning! I just had my single mastectomy with expander and fill on 10/7 with Dana Farber in Boston. I stayed overnight and was home by 3pm the next day. This morning, I milked one of my drains and OMG the pain! I almost passed out then vomited. I was not expecting that! I think it was just from the "sucking" when I finished milking the drain. I definitely will sit down next time I do it. Otherwise, doing well. Some pain but it is manageable. I think I have been doing too much around the house. My husband has to keep reminding me to relax. The plastic surgeon did warn me if I did too much, the drains may be in longer. Has anyone else experienced pain when milking their drains? Any advice?

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 215

Good morning @amesisland715. You’ve been through a lot! I’m glad it went well and you’re home … but it’s so hard to sit still, isn’t it? I was really energized after my mastectomy and didn’t rest much. I wasn’t doing anything too intense but I wasn’t resting either (body or mind!!) It actually did delay getting my drain out … the more you move, the more fluid your body makes. The drain will tell on you if you are doing too much!!

This really is one time where you want to focus on yourself and resting, although it goes against most women’s natural inclination to care for everyone else and the kids, the house, the pets, etc. But you have been through a major surgery and there’s a lot of healing taking place. Rest as much as you possibly can!! Let your family and friends dote on you.

I too would almost pass out each time I had to clean my drain … I needed to sit down and I kept a can of ginger ale nearby. It gets easier. You may want to call and speak with your plastic surgeon’s nurse and describe the pain, just to get some reassurance. I didn’t have pain, I could perceive discomfort but I had lost most sensation which was a blessing so I wasn’t feeling pain. Had I been able to feel pain I definitely would have realized I was overdoing it!

Keep resting and healing! I hope today goes well for you. Try to do nothing much besides eating, drinking lots of water and walking around a little, keep your arm and chest calm.

• brie_sea
    brie_sea Member Posts: 1

Hi there!

DMX coming up on 10/29. Finished AC/T chemo 10/4 and entering this next phase. Chose not to do reconstruction due to radiation to follow, so I'll be flat. I'm more curious about things I need or what I simply don't. I tried to find a thread, but it was a little outdated. So my top questions:

• I have the option of a recliner (w/power) - take it? Or is my bed ok?
    • What do I really need / don't need in the hospital (one night)
    • What are the home must haves?
    • Can I put a tank top on over my bandages? Or do you just put clothing (ie button down) right over?

So far I've been told zip ups, button downs, eye mask (hospital), neck pillow (airplane) if sleeping in a recliner, wipes. I still have to go to my "mastectomy class" but will take all the advice I can get!

Thank you all :-)

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 215

Hi @brie_sea. It’s hard to prepare! I panic bought all sorts of things, some stuff I didn’t even use. But I loved having a power recliner! I slept in it for about 6 weeks because I was able to get comfortable and sleep well (and could easily get myself up to use the bathroom). I still used several pillows to prop my arm and my legs in the recliner … you can’t go wrong with having extra pillows!

I don’t remember really needing anything at the hospital besides my phone charger and clothes to put on to wear home. I had a mastectomy seat belt pillow that I really liked also … you can always use any small pillow to cushion in between your chest and the seat belt.

Try to get some rest tonight!!