Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Virtual Support Groups! See times and register here.
We need your inspirational words for a new project! Share with us.

Fat Transfer Experiences

My PS has indicated he may want to do fat transfer after I have recovered from a permanent implant and natural breast reduction/lift that happened August 31.

I do not want any more surgery. My original choice was a double mastectomy in May, but I was convinced to try this path. I regret agreeing to it.

There is only one second-hand story I have heard about fat transfer. That report was that it was very painful and much PT is required afterward.

Does anyone have information or experiences to share, please?

DCIS Invasive Ductal Carcinoma Stage 1B May 2026

right breast mastectomy May

Comments

  • mandy23
    mandy23 Posts: 223

    Hi @jerimanelle -

    It's not about what your PS wants….it's what YOU want. If you are satisfied with the results of your recon/reduction, you can be done. You are the boss. Fat transfer would be likely be done to "even things out" or make them larger perhaps? Each person is different, but basically fat transfer is usually to 'fine tune' the results.

    In my case, I had a lat flap reconstruction. I did not have an implant with it, which is the usual procedure. Instead the fat transfer for me provided the volume that the implant would have provided. I did have PT, but it had nothing to do with the fat transfer. It was because the lat flap pulls a muscle from your back around to your front. Even with that, I think I went maybe 4 times? It was no big deal. I don't know why you would need PT for a fat transfer. I found the surgery itself to be pretty easy. The one downside was that you become bruised like you wouldn't believe, but the bruises go away. I did it twice to get the volume I needed.

    Perhaps the person you heard about having fat transfer had it on top of another surgery which required the PT?

    Whatever you decide to do, it is YOUR decision. Sorry you weren't allowed to make your own decision from the beginning. 😕

    Take care.