Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Has anyone else used black seed oil?

Options
jessd23
jessd23 Member Posts: 1
edited December 2019 in Alternative Medicine

I am just curious if anyone else has been using black seed oil for breast cancer (nigella sativa) and the results they have experienced. I have been taking it for a few months and I am (so far anyways) stable. I am wondering if I stumbled across a hidden gem or am I the last to know about this stuff?!

Comments

• filabrasileiro
    filabrasileiro Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2018
    Options

what brand of oil and amount do you take each day? do you use any seeds as well? I am getting some oil and some ground seed to use and I believe it was recommended 1 teaspoon of oil 2x a day and tablespoon of ground seed (might use it on foods for seasoning).

• capecodgirl
    capecodgirl Member Posts: 93
    edited October 2018
    Options

I took it for a couple months-stopped because I could not find any info on whether it interfered with the tamoxifen I was taking at the time. I did not notice any difference, but did not take if that long. I will say I do not miss the taste of it

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited August 2019
    Options

I am trying to revive this thread. I recently read that black seed oil was good for breast and specifically aiding in chemo efficacy and helping to prevent/slow tamoxifen resistance. Anyone else in this? I bought some yesterday but have not started it yet. I planned to buy the seed supplement but came upon a good quality oil and bought that instead. Is there any risks with using the oil versus the seeds? I did see one article about seeds increasing NK (natural killer)cells but not the oil.

• shorty123
    shorty123 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2019
    Options

Would love to hear from persons that has used or still using black seed oil.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,296
    Options

I've heard to stay away from the oil, especially internally, because it can cause some problems and enough is not known about it, but I've used the ground seed off and on, as that's supposed to be fine. They say it is effective for breast cancer, among many other things, but I have no details, nothing I can cite, etc. I did read that it can interfere with CYP450 enzymes (a pharmacokinetic thing that I do not claim to understand) and hence possibly interfere with some drugs, so I don't use it very often. I like to mix it with buckwheat honey and have a spoonful after meals, as something of a digestive aid. I understand you can also use it in regular cooking of course, something like oregano, etc. Since not enough is known about how it might interact with stage 4 drugs, i.e. Verzenio and Faslodex, I minimize my use, but would love to know more, because it does look promising.