Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Question for those who have implant reconstruction

Options
mavericksmom
mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,124
edited April 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

Anyone with implants stop seeing their PS after their final post-op appointment? I have a scheduled appointment in September, but would like to stop seeing him. He is a great doctor, but unless I have an issue, I don't see the value in any more visits. I feel super ugly and would rather not have anyone, even a doctor, look at my body again! I only have one implant because I was refused a bilateral mastectomy at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philly, in 2019. I had to wait until I got cancer in my right breast, which happened summer of 2022, in order to get another mastectomy. My breasts will never look like a pair, they don't even look like breasts!

Tagged:

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited April 2023
    Options

I haven’t seen my ps since my final post operative visit… over 11 years ago.

• mavericksmom
    edited April 2023
    Options

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, for saying that! I canceled my appointment scheduled in September because I didn't see a reason for it. Of course if I had an issue I would make an appointment, but I am super tired of doctor visits! I was starting to feel that my recent visits were more for the doctors than for me!

• orangeflower
    orangeflower Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'm three years out, and my plastic surgeon sees me once a year now. For the first 2 1/2 years, it was every six months, but last time I told her I wanted to come in less. I honestly don't know why I keep having to see her because there is nothing wrong, and the visits are overwith in a few minutes. I might stop going altogether.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited April 2023
    Options

My question regarding continued ps visits would be why? There seems to be no reason as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

• mavericksmom
    edited April 2023
    Options

I feel the same! With my PS, he is also a lymphedema doctor but for many reasons I don’t want to do anything about my arm either. I have had lymphedema for over 20 years, stopped doing anything for it over 10 years ago and it isn’t any worse, why aggravate it now?

I am so tired of hearing how they won’t do things like a simple CBC prior to surgery because it hasn’t been seen as necessary, but make people keep coming back for needless follow up visits, that’s “a necessary part of their Survival Care Plan!”I call it BS and that doesn’t stand for breast surgeon! 😉

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 252
    edited April 2023
    Options

My PS care stopped after my reconstruction post-op. My PS was awesome but also let me know it wasn't necessary to go back for additional visits that occupied my time and drained my pocketbook for travel to and from the facility.

• mavericksmom
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks for all your comments! I love this breast cancer community because only those who have gone through it really understand and your comments help to sort out what I call “conveyor belt" care from what one really needs! All of your input helped me feel comfortable with the decision I made, and because of that, helped me to move onwith my life!