Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Tamoxifen and periods??

Options

I have been on tamoxifen for almost two years. A couple of months after I finished chemo, my periods came back pretty close to regularly... Do periods get irregular on tamoxifen the closer we get to being put into "menopause?" My period came a week early last week and lasted about 3 days, but all of a sudden, I'm bleeding again. I don't know which doctor to contact? OB or oncology...? Is this normal?

Comments

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

ampmusic14 - I would suggest you start with a trusted OBGYN to determine your menopausal status as well as anything that might be happening with your uterus. Tamoxifen definitely can mess with your cycle (it was originally developed in hopes for use as a fertility aid) and can aggravate uterine polyps or other conditions. Your OB will probably want to do a baseline pelvic ultrasound to evaluate things. Any abnormal results you will want to discuss with your ONC. Or, if it takes longer to see your OB, if you are lucky and have a ONC that looks after everything they can order the test (mine always did).

Another word of caution since you may still be pre menopausal - get your bone density checked asap. Tamoxifen taken pre menopausally is murder on your bones. It is lauded as a good option if you are PAST menopause as then it can actually somewhat protect bones. Make sure you are getting 1200 mg calcium a day with this med and get your weight bearing exercise in. I caution about this because it happened to me. Full blown osteoporosis at age 55 thanks to Tamoxifen.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    Options

Full blown osteoporosis at age 43 thanks to tamoxifen. I had no idea it could do that, so I didn't take preventative steps. My MO even seemed surprised, which honestly concerns me a little. We only found out because I asked for a dexa before starting exemestane. If I hadn't asked......?

• rah2464
    rah2464 Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Sorry to hear that gb - I don't think most MOs think about the bone impact too much and I suspect a lot of women have had issues. Hope the Zometa is helping with your bone density. I've had two cycles of it so far with minimal response. I think I will be switching to Prolia soon.

• ampmusic14
    ampmusic14 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Sorry I haven't been on in a while. BIt thank you for the replies! Much appreciated. We're definitely watching my uterus and everything. Been having ultrasounds to make sure it behaves. And I take a magnesium and vitamin d supplement per my oncologist to help with bone density.

• WifeWBC
    WifeWBC Member Posts: 8
    Options

My DX was 2013. I was on tamoxifen for 8 years and stopped just about 4-5 months ago. My current “treatment” consists of a visit to my onco once a year and a boob scan. I’ve never been convinced my oncologist knows what the hell she’s doing, nor that anyone can be certain of what they tell you re: treatments, drugs, expectations.

My periods have returned it seems. Just had 3 events 28 days apart. I feel like a woman again. I’m 48. I’ll be 9 years out in December. Had very sporadic bleeding whilst in tamoxifen. Each time it causes (what now seems to have been) undue concern. Expect I’ll have to I inform my onco. She’ll probably stick me on some other hormone goop.

Very few posters bother coming back here, it appears. I came in search of others who also came off tamoxifen, like me, and have restarted their period. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Good luck all

• WifeWBC
    WifeWBC Member Posts: 8
    Options

My DX was 2013. I was on tamoxifen for 8 years and stopped just about 4-5 months ago. My current “treatment” consists of a visit to my onco once a year and a boob scan. I’ve never been convinced my oncologist knows what the hell she’s doing, nor that anyone can be certain of what they tell you re: treatments, drugs, expectations.

My periods have returned it seems. Just had 3 events 28 days apart. I feel like a woman again. I’m 48. I’ll be 9 years out in December. Had very sporadic bleeding whilst in tamoxifen. Each time it causes (what now seems to have been) undue concern. Expect I’ll have to I inform my onco. She’ll probably stick me on some other hormone goop.

Very few posters bother coming back here, it appears. I came in search of others who also came off tamoxifen, like me, and have restarted their period. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Good luck all

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    Options

My period came back 2 1/2 years after I started Tamoxifen and my MO told me to get an OBGYN checkup. Thankfully everything (especially the uterus) is fine. Since I’m still on Tamoxifen, there’s been no treatment plan change. If yours is minimally ER/PR+, you might not need to start another hormone treatment.

• brinkofeternity
    brinkofeternity Member Posts: 181
    Options

My period came back 2 1/2 years after I started Tamoxifen and my MO told me to get an OBGYN checkup. Thankfully everything (especially the uterus) is fine. Since I’m still on Tamoxifen, there’s been no treatment plan change. If yours is minimally ER/PR+, you might not need to start another hormone treatment.

• ampmusic14
    ampmusic14 Member Posts: 31
    Options

I was highly ER+. I haven't had a period in 2 months but just started one over the weekend and it's heavier than they have been. My doctors don't sound concerned at all and there has never been talks of taking shots to shut my ovaries down. I just hopyim doing enough!