Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Lumpectomy vs DMX post?

dsc
dsc Member Posts: 50

I saw a reply to a post yesterday that went through every pro and con for each of lumpectomy, SMX and DMX. It was incredibly thorough and gave excellent points for all options. Of course, now I can’t find it. I wanted to review it again before my visit with the surgeon tomorrow if anyone could point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Comments

• bennybear
    bennybear Member Posts: 245

I can’t help you find it, but I can share my experience. I had a lumpectomy with radiation. The radiation really sapped my energy and took a long time think over a year to recover. I then had a local recurrence 8 years ago, and had to do a mastectomy.

This year I had a new cancer on the other side. Everyone is different but I wasn’t willing to do radiation again and even then risk a recurrence. So I chose another mastectomy.

You need to ask your surgeon your odds in your situation. And one key thing is radiation makes reconstruction with implants very unlikely. And the other surgery is very major. Lots to consider. Just weigh it all and do what’s right for you.

• dsc
    edited May 2023

thank you for the comment and also for sharing that thread. That wasn’t it - I’ll keep looking. She went through very detailed pros and cons of each factor. Covering everything.

• dsc

it’s not that one, no but that is a very well written and informative article thank you for sharing

• dsc

Yes! Thank you so much!

• lotusconnie1999
    lotusconnie1999 Member Posts: 39

dsc, how did your visit with the surgeon go? what is your plan? Good luck with everything.

Connie

• dsc

I posted an update called DSC update. Sorry I don’t know how to link it here. Essentially the MRI confirmed the tumour, but also showed another small area of concern in the same breast. It also stated no lymph node involvement. HER2 is negative. But I really won’t know anything until after surgery on the 23rd. Thank you for checking in on me. ❤️

• clars
    clars Member Posts: 40

Thanks for this thread! I am meeting surgeon tomorrow and have to decide between DMX or lumpectomy with rads x

• dsc

good luck with your decision. Definitely very personal.

I will be having a lumpectomy.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808

I don't know if you have read our article on Mastectomy vs Lumpectomy, but in case it helps you in your decision-making, I thought I would add it here for you, @clars.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 769

It is a difficult decision but please think long term since you are so young. If there is a lumpectomy with radiation, you need to be checking the rest of your breasts every 6 months and the anxiety gets very high. So far, I haven't heard of anyone who did DMX and has regret but I heard many who had lumpectomy with regrets and ended up on DMX in a few years. Good luck! Ask for a second opinion and make the decision that makes you feel better.