Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Implant removal

Options
vintage 80
vintage 80 Member Posts: 1
edited May 2023 in Breast Reconstruction

I had breast augmentation implant surgery done many years ago. Ten years ago I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation. I now have capsular contracture with the radiated breast. I know the implant needs to be removed and I'm trying to decide to have only the removal or a mastectomy as a preventative measure. Does anyone have experience with this - in making the decision, recuperation time, etc.

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,900
    Options

Hi vintage 80, and welcome to Breastcancer.org!

We're sure you'll get some great insight and advice here from others soon. In the meantime, you may be interested in reading our content on Breast Implant Removal (Explant) Surgery.

We hope this helps and that you get the answers you need soon!

—The Mods

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,900
    Options

Hi again @vintage 80 We just wanted to check in with you to see how you're doing since you joined. Do you have any updates?

Thinking of you!

—The Mods

• wondering44
    wondering44 Member Posts: 252
    Options

Hi vintage 80,

I had a breast augmentation before my dx. I, too, had capsular contracture with the radiated breast. I was not a fan of the cancer dx or the capsular contracture that came after the radiation. Later, I had a BMX with implant removal and reconstruction. I did not appreciate the discomfort with the TEs beef the new implants were placed. It was quite uncomfortable and painful. However, the reconstruction results were great in comparison to the capsular contracture pair.

I think it truly depends on your preference of want you want. I knew I did not want to go flat or do a removal without implant replacement. I found the BMX to be a cakewalk minus the drains. The pain for me was minimal in comparison to the breast augmentation which wasn't all that bad either after a couple of days.

I wish you luck on your decision.