Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Freaking out over recent breast mri

Hi all! I was diagnosed 9 years ago and have had breast MRIs yearly since then - all negative. After diagnosis I had a modified radical mastectomy on the left side and an implant removed from might right side. This breast never developed due to birth defects

I just received the results of my recent breast mri and it said;

BONES AND SOFT TISSUES: There is a 5 mm focus of enhancement with T2 bright signal in the 5th or 6th anterior right rib, not definitely seen previously.

New right anterior 5th or 6th rib 5 mm enhancing focus. High T2 signal is reassuring, although etiology
is unclear. Depending on risk of recurrence, consider CT/bone scan correlation. If not seen, consider
six-month follow-up MRI.

What can this be if not metastatic breast cancer? Here I am nearly 60 years old and I can’t stop panicking

My Family Dr will be requesting a bone scan. My last was in 2020 and all was fine

I am frozen

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808

Hi @footballnut,

We're so sorry for the worries that bring you back here. We don't have much to share, but wanted to let you know we are here and sending you good thoughts. Do you know yet when your bone scan will be?

Please keep us posted!

—The Mods

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

Thank you. No date yet. Doesn’t seem to be a sense of urgency. I looked back at an ultrasound from 2015 which noted

Five small solid nodules are noted in the right upper outerquadrantaround the 9- 10 o'clock radian. These are located in theperiphery ofthe right breast. These look like multiple intramammarylymph nodes. They have smooth margins and echogenic fatty hila. Thelargest noduleis located along the 9 o'clock radian and measures 7 x 6 x 3mm.No suspicious solid lesion is seen within the right breast.IMPRESSION:There are a few small solid nodules in the periphery of theright upperouter quadrant which look like multiple smallintramammary nodes.

This seems to be in the same area as where the signal was noticed which I find almost calming. There is lots of scar tissue there

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 639

@footballnut Hi, I have not had a similar situation but just wanted to lend support. Not everything that enhances is always cancer there are benign bony lesions also. Nevertheless a bone scan is a great option to rule out lesions of all types etc. So hang in there and keep busy while waiting. We all know how hard the wait can be! Remain positive and remind yourself nothing has been proven yet.

Sending positive vibes and well wishes, Keep us posted.

• footballnut

Thank you

I was successful with having my oncologist look at the actual images and she said that she doesn’t think it’s anything to worry about and to relax

she wouldn’t say that if she thought it was Mets right?

I only ask because when I felt a lump in my breast and under my arm 9 years ago I saw a surgeon who felt them, looked me in the eye and told me that it was nothing. I knew he was full of you know what

A week later he told me what I already knew. His doing that makes it hard for me to believe good news

• cookie54

Ok great, glad she gave you a sense of relief. Well I would think she would tread cautiously if she felt it was something to be worried about. Hmmm yea I'm sure your surgeon had regrets saying that. I understand a doctor wanting to give you some peace of mind but they really should choose their words wisely. I've had many many biopsy's and to me there is nothing like a tissue sample to prove it negative.

I think you can't go wrong by hoping for the best but be mentally prepared for the worst. Hope you get an appointment soon to put this to rest!

Have a good night!

• footballnut

I had a bone scan yesterday. Just waiting for results

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808

Thanks for the update, @footballnut! Sending good vibes your way. Please let us know what you find out, when you get your results.

—The Mods

• cookie54

Great, glad you got in quickly, fingers crossed 🤞🏻.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 732

My understanding is that metastatic means cancer that has spread beyond the breast. If what is found on the MRI turns out to be cancer (which it sounds like the doctors think is unlikely), it would be a recurrence but not necessarily metastatic.