Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

IDC diagnosis this morning

Options
bsmiz
bsmiz Member Posts: 19

Hello, have just learned my biopsy was positive for IDC. First meeting with breast surgeon May 10th. I don’t have my biopsy report yet. I know from my mammo it is 0.5x0.6x0.5. The nurse said pathology shows er+ but pr-. HER status not yet known. This all started from a 6 month diagnostic. Pretty scared.

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 855
    Options

bsmiz, I'm sorry your biopsy results have brought you here. At this point it's hard to say exactly what your treatment will be. If the tumor size is in cm it looks like it is early stage. You will probably start with surgery so you might want to read about lumpectomy and mastectomy on this site to give you some background for your appointment with the breast surgeon. The actual treatment plan is not finalized until after surgery so there is a period of more waiting and wondering. While not fun the treatments are all doable and you will start to feel better when there is a plan in place. I hope things go well. Come back and ask any questions that you have as you deal with this.

• bsmiz
    Options

thank you Maggie. The waiting has been torture so far.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 855
    Options

bsmiz, The waiting is really hard since in the breast cancer world things move slowly. Even though it feels like it now breast cancer is not a medical emergency like a heart attack. In retrospect the slower pace is good in that you end out making decisions after you know all the relevant facts and you have time to consider your options. It's like the difference between driving somewhere at 55 mph and getting there safely and speeding at 100 mph with a bad outcome. The most important thing is to have the best end result that you can so the wait is worth it. Hang in there!

• bsmiz
    Options

Maggie that’s a great perspective! Thanks! I’ll try to relax.

• skidd10
    skidd10 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I was just diagnosed 6-5 with IDC but I don’t have the final pathology report yet. I do have an appointment this Friday with a breast surgeon as they were able to get me in for an initial visit. My mass size was small but I don’t have the size in front of me right now. My sister had IDC 5 years ago and genetic testing was negative. Mine appeared on my annual mammogram. The waiting is agonizing but we’re not alone. My sister gave me this site as a resource she used and I can see why. I feel like there’s a community that understands.

• salamandra
    salamandra Member Posts: 736
    Options

Hi skidd10,

The beginning is so hard. I'm glad you found these forums early and hopefully your sister will be a great source of community as well. Good luck and keep us posted!