We are 222,006 members in 81 forums discussing 156,525 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone reject the Hormone Treatment

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Apr 15, 2016 04:33PM - edited Jun 23, 2016 05:50PM by Ajarrell

Ajarrell wrote:

Onco 23% with no Hormonal Treatment 15% per the doctor if I take Hormonal Treatment only 8% if I did take it. Breast Cancer 1cm Stage1A, Grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2- Had a bilateral mastectomy no cemo/Radiation needed. May 2015, Reconstruction complete December 2015. Anyone out there reject Hormone Treatment and still a survivor???

Log in to post a reply

Page 2 of 2 (53 results)

Posts 31 - 53 (53 total)

Log in to post a reply

Jan 23, 2017 12:29PM roche wrote:

Hello yorkiemom, Sorry, I'm learning. My profile might be incomplete, Filled out the diagnosis but will have to see what happened to it. Lumpectomy, Nov. 2016 is missing.



Dx 11/2016, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Feb 18, 2017 04:47PM Coolnana wrote:

I'm 67 yrs. old had lumpectomy... 3 weeks of radiation and now trying the antiestrogen meds...... so far not so good.... many side effects for me my OC said this should be my last try on tamoxifen.... terrible insomnia etc. my onco was a 9 and I was stage 1 with 2very small tumors..... estrogen positive... my OC said25% of women can't take these drugs and quality of life is also important. I'm also dealing with Hashimotos hypothyroidismig

Log in to post a reply

Feb 18, 2017 05:02PM - edited Feb 18, 2017 05:05PM by Coolnana

Sorry my Ipad froze....I'm very sensitive to meds and had a rough last week of radiation. Dr. said never saw that before.... could hardly walk out of hospital the last week of treatment and the last day got a temp of 103... again they say very unusual..... so I'm thinking of not taking the meds..... with all the research Iv done and how my body reacted so differently to the radiation I'm really concerned about what the side effects of meds...... all we can do is what we think is best for us and our bodies.

Would like any feedback on what other experiences were


Log in to post a reply

Feb 18, 2017 07:01PM Ronnie3001 wrote:

I was dx with breast cancer stage 1 in 2007. I did chemotherapy and radiation as was prescribed Tamoxifen of which I decided not to take due to side effects. Fast Forward to August 2017 when I was diagnosed with Stage V, Bone Mets. When I asked my ONC if the recurrence was triggered but not taking hormone pills she could not confirm... I am kicking myself for not following through with the treatment...

I am the daughter of a great king. He is my father and my God. He is with me, always at my side, guiding and protecting me. I do not fear because I am his. Dx 1/27/2008, IDC: Tubular, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/29/2016, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 9/6/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy External: Bone
Log in to post a reply

Feb 19, 2017 07:34AM bevin wrote:

Goodness, certainly you've received a lot of good input here to consider and help make your decisions. Its a personal one for sure but not to be made lightly.. To chime in, I'd offer that antihormonals are very good medicine. Stage 4 folks are put on those generally first and for many woman they bring them to ned.  Don't underestimate the power of this small pill. It can save your life. Also, keep in mind many woman have no symptoms from taking them. This may be you. Good luck in your decision. 

Age 45, Oncotype 11, Primary Tumor 2.1 cm, smaller satellite tumor nearby Dx 8/8/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/10/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2010 Breast
Log in to post a reply

Jan 23, 2019 02:25PM Zarasbaba wrote:

yes I did 6 years ago, and I haven’t seen my oncologist I’m kinda Regretting that decision now!! Yesterday I was in to see him, for another reason, I was flooded with emotions , to the point of me crying, ( I wasn’t in his office in six years) I suppose He saw the look on my face, I had an Lympdrema infection aka cellulitis, under my right arm, where the three lymp nodes had Invasive cancer, I was urinating blood, the urologist couldn’t find the source, I didn’t tell my oncologist that, this all happened back in July, he did not give me any words of encouragement , he took blood, I’m going for a bone density test,funny I found out in 02/12 I had breast cancer, I rejected the hormon treatmen because, I was going for back surger, I wasn’t this emotional when I found out I had breast cancer 😐😐😐 oh and I am a smoker ...... now for my waiting game!

Dx feb21,IDC 1.5 cm, DCIS Multifocal, Cribriform and micropapillary Dx 2/21/2012, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 3/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Jan 23, 2019 04:21PM JoE777 wrote:

Took AIs two years 2012-2014. Stopped, metastatic since summer of 2017. Quality of a shortened life is worse now.Scared

Dx 2/2012, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, metastasized to bone, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/4/2012 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 2/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Kisqali Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole) Chemotherapy Other Radiation Therapy External: Bone Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
Log in to post a reply

Jan 24, 2019 09:11AM dtad wrote:

Hi everyone...yes I refused aromatase inhibitors from the start. There were several reasons but the main reason was QOL issues. I already had poor QOL due to multiple autoimmune disease. I just wasn't willing to compromise my health any further. I did chose to lower my estrogen levels naturally. I lost 30 pounds and try to exercise daily. Both have been shown to lower recurrence rates by 40 percent. I also take several supplements. I am almost 4 years out. I'm not advocating this for anyone but myself. Good luck to all navigating this complicated disease.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant
Log in to post a reply

Jan 24, 2019 10:30AM windingshores wrote:

Aromatase inhibitors address estrogen made in the adrenals. 

I have taken Femara for 4 years. All the obvious side effects, like hot flashes and joint pain, went away but the subtler ones like fatigue are stronger.  Not horrible, but it does get to me. My already bad osteoporosis is about 7% worse.

 Overall I would rather be tired or even disabled than dead. If I didn't have kids who still need me (late 20's) I might do things differently.

At the 5 year mark I am going to ask for testing to see my risk level. 

I have read on the Femara insert itself, that 20% of the regular dose is effective so that is another thing to consider. My oncologist also said it may be possible to pulse, meaning on and off.

I can't go on Tamoxifen because of afib and clot risk. If I were to go on a blood thinner, I would consider that, just to vary the effects on my body from treatment. I want to go as long as I can.


Dx 2/2015, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy: Right Surgery Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Hormonal Therapy
Log in to post a reply

Jan 25, 2019 08:26AM dtad wrote:

Again I do not understand why every time someone starts a thread on not taking anti hormones people find the need to respond with fear mongering. The title of the thread is "Anyone Reject Hormone Therapy". There are plenty of other threads that deal with the benefits of anti hormone therapy. Even though I did not take them, I always say that it was my personal decision and I do NOT advocate it for anyone else. Everyone has different circumstances and that is why different paths are taken. However when someone is looking for those who did not take it, IMO is just not appropriate to reference disability and even death for their personal decisions. I support and respect all individual decisions made.

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant
Log in to post a reply

Jan 25, 2019 09:29AM Sketches wrote:

hi, I'm new to boards. I completed my radiation just before Christmas and was put on Tamoxifen, which I requested because I didn't want the Arimidex because I would then need the Prolea, I had tried Fosamax for a short time several years ago and it was horrible for my stomach. As soon as I began this process I started getting severe headaches and absolutely no sleep. My oncologist insisted it is all in my head. I have a neurological problem already and fibromyalgia. My neurologist prescribed a low dose of Neurontin, which made a big difference. Now I am getting horrible gastro problems. Once again my oncologist told me it's all in my head. I am going to try to change oncologists. Both she and my internist insist that tamoxifen has absolutely no side effects.

Log in to post a reply

Jan 26, 2019 08:35AM - edited Jan 26, 2019 08:36AM by dtad

Scetches...I'm so sorry your docs are denying the side effects of Tamoxifen. All you have to do is read these boards to know that is just not true. IMO they do you a great disservice by doing this. Maybe if they listened and worked with you on how to deal with the side effects, the compliance rate would be higher. As it stands only 40-50 percent complete the recommended years due to side effects. My breast surgeon at a major NYC teaching hospital told me this. I do not see how this could be an effective treatment when the compliance rate is so low. We need to speak up for better treatment options!

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant
Log in to post a reply

Jan 29, 2019 08:56PM VioletKali wrote:

I cannot take the ovarian suppression or AI because they caused me reduced quality of life.

I cannot use tamoxifen because I MUST use my prozac, I refuse to stop taking my medication that has kept me happy and stable for 18 years.

I know the risks. I would rather live 1 GOOD year than 10 with side effects. That is how I feel, and I understand the risks.

My tumor was 1.7cm, 10% of it was noted to be DCIS. No family history of cancer at all. Discontinued Chemo d/t uncontrollable side effects which caused hospitalizations, blood transfusions, and poor quality of life. I am doing well! Dx 6/19/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 6/19/2014, DCIS, Stage 0 Surgery 8/18/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 9/15/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/15/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Log in to post a reply

Jan 30, 2019 04:25PM Zarasbaba wrote:

so you say...I’m a bundle of nerves.. right now... I two driffrent cancers in my right breast... I had the A double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery .... I had two driffrent chemos AC/Tox I don’t recall the name..,.. that was in 2012.... I haven’t been to my oncologist in over six years...,I went though something no urologist couldn’t say why I was urinating blood ... it was bright red.... I don’t get my menstrual cycle ... it stop in 2012..,,, so now I don’t kniw what’s going on....,

Dx feb21,IDC 1.5 cm, DCIS Multifocal, Cribriform and micropapillary Dx 2/21/2012, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 3/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Jan 31, 2019 07:43AM dtad wrote:

Violetkali...totally get what you are saying!

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant
Log in to post a reply

Feb 9, 2019 12:39PM Zarasbaba wrote:

hello everyone!! This message board was a blessing.. it’s kinda ironic that I’m back here!! It was 2012, back in February when I found out I had breast cancer, now I’m back,I posted on this subject a few weeks back ,

Now here’s my story, I had the dense dose of chemotherapy , Ac/Tox , my oncologist started me in the hormonal blocking meds, I wasn’t taking them, Because I need a fusion on my back, I didn’t go back to my oncologist for almost 7 years, he did blood and an bone density test... I wouldn’t be seeing him for 6 weeks, he’s having a hip replacement, so I went back to my breast surgeon, she Examine me. She did a sonogram on my Reconstructive breast, I told her I’m having lots of pain in my breast and arm, she told me that the hormonal blocking pills are better then the Chemotherapy.

I’m going for a MRI on my breast and an CAT scan

This is in me , all on me and I’m giving it to Christ Jesus!!


Dx feb21,IDC 1.5 cm, DCIS Multifocal, Cribriform and micropapillary Dx 2/21/2012, LCIS/DCIS/ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 3/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-
Log in to post a reply

Mar 6, 2019 05:21AM pinknlavander wrote:

My oncologist told me that its ok not to take Tamoxifen because i have hyperplasia. And i ask for alternative and she told me just monitor. I am scared that my cancer will come back if I will not take Tamoxifen but If i will take it they suggested to remove my uterus and ovary because of my higher risk in uterine cancer and soon ovary cancer. I am so confused right now whether i will take tamoxifen or not.

Log in to post a reply

Mar 6, 2019 06:36AM Salamandra wrote:

pinknlavander,

That sounds like a tricky situation. Ultimately it's a really personal decision, but I think it never hurts to get second or even third opinions. Some doctors are better at explaining things to help you make your own decision, or just may suit your communication style better. The personal details of both your cancer and your other health factors are really relevant and you need to feel like your doctors have truly taken all of that into consideration, and like you understand the risk factors. For some women, the absolute benefit of tamoxifen just isn't that high, even if the relative benefit is still 50%.

I wonder if you've had genetic testing and counseling?

I don't have specific risk factors for uterine and ovary cancer, but to be honest I still find them scarier than breast cancer, even after all this. That's part of why I insisted to my medical oncologist on keeping my hormonal IUD, because it has been shown to have some protective effect. (And they are lacking in specific evidence about how it increases risk for breast cancer, they just oppose it on principle because it's exogenous hormones).

But deciding to take out ovaries and uterus would be a big move for most of us.

I wonder whether your cancer center has a social worker you might be able to talk this all through with? Sometimes just speaking through something out loud can help, or at least help you clarify your questions and concerns? Or if you have access to short term therapy/social work through insurance or an employee assistance plan?

Based on reading these boards, it seems to me like the number 1 most important thing is that you feel like you had the opportunity to have your questions answered and to make an informed decision for yourself. The future is impossible to predict, so feeling good about your decision is the best we've got. So I think it's really worthwhile to take the time and trouble you need to come to a place that feels right to you.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/18/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 12/3/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

May 2, 2019 02:18PM VioletKali wrote:

I am not taking anti hormonals. I had terrible side effects when I tried ovarian suppression and AIs. I cannot take tamox due to not being able to take a non SSRI drug.

I had a bilateral MX too, for reference. The way I see it, if I have a recurrence on anti hormonals then I have nowhere to go. I will NOT do chemo again, so recurring on anti hormonals would not be helpful. I think my logic is somewhat sound considering my ONC told me that Tamox works for breast tissue prevention, not a recurrence elsewhere..

I would do ovarian suppression and AI if I recurred.

My tumor was 1.7cm, 10% of it was noted to be DCIS. No family history of cancer at all. Discontinued Chemo d/t uncontrollable side effects which caused hospitalizations, blood transfusions, and poor quality of life. I am doing well! Dx 6/19/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Dx 6/19/2014, DCIS, Stage 0 Surgery 8/18/2014 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 9/15/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/15/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)
Log in to post a reply

May 2, 2019 02:37PM mittmott wrote:

I've been on nothing for a different reason.. I've had stage 1 twice, same breast.. First time lumpectomy/radiation. Second time bilateral mastectomy, no radiation. I had had a few lumps removed prior to my first cancer, and one came back lcis..... They put me on tamoxifn and after a year on it, I developed the stage 1.. Back then they didn't do the testing on me for onco. score. My oncologist at msk said that since my cancer broke through after a year on the meds, it meant the meds wouldn't work on me.... So she took me off... I'm 10 years out of the 2nd cancer.. I'm still on nothing.. I pray it's the right way to go.

Dx 9/2000, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/8/2000 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 9/2006, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3 Surgery 9/1/2006 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap, Tissue expander placement
Log in to post a reply

May 2, 2019 09:57PM cassiecanada wrote:

Hi Mittmott-I am fairly new to board- but i am nearly finished radiation ( post lumpectomy with pathology like yours) and am supposed to start femara and fosamax soon. I doubt i will take it. I was interested to see that you took tamoxifen ( versus radiation) post surgery in 2000. This may have been standard ofcare at that time? Now, lumpectomy and radiation has same outcome as mastectomy. If I should have a recurrence ( as you did).... i would, like you, have a mastectomy ( cannot do radiation twice). I think that every single woman is offered a med after... actually encouraged. For me, I doubt i will take it tho- i just dont want the bone destruction from femara- i just cant fathom that-If I have a recurrence i will just do a mastectomy. If it has metastasized that may then change things-but i will cross that bridge if and when that happens. you are 10 years out- fantastic! thats a great indicator of your current status! So my point in all this- your journey mirrors very closely my own- I have thought thru my risksof tecurrence without meds. I can accept mastectomy and no drugs- should i have a recurrence- so when i see your journey- it gives hope!
Log in to post a reply

Jul 8, 2019 10:33AM Jons_girl wrote:

I was 49 when I found my lump/tumor. I chose the no tamoxifen road. Also chose no radiation. My MO supported me as long as I have regular rechecking of diagnostics and manual breast exam. So I go for ultrasound every 6 mo. May have mri at some point too. I have very dense breast tissue and my tumor wasn’t seen on 3D mammo.

I wasn’t overweight prior to my br cancer diagnosis. But I did loose 10-15 lbs post dx due to cutting out more processed foods out of my diet. Feel better in general with that weight off. So far so so good post dx.

Dx 6/2017, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 7/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel
Log in to post a reply

Jul 25, 2019 08:34PM donnaleeNC wrote:

Awesome, Jons_Girl, thanks for sharing. I'm considering no tamox and no radio. I would like to have Oncotype DX testing. But when I asked about it, I was first told, "Your type of breast cancer does not qualify" (it looks like its tailor-made for my type of cancer). I was next told, "There's no point in doing the Oncotype testing because you already said you didn't want chemo." What in the world is going on with these people? No, I don't want chemo. No one wants chemo. No one has recommended chemo to me. But I haven't refused any kind of treatment, either - yet. My understanding is that Oncotype DX would help me understand my risk and make a more informed decision about all types of treatment, not just chemo. Isn't that what all of us want?

Whew, sorry for the little rant. I do appreciate all of your posts here.

PS - Hi, Cassie!

Donna, dx age 67: Crazy is the new normal. Dx 5/21/2019, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 6/10/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal

Page 2 of 2 (53 results)