Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Kadcyla

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Oct 22, 2019 02:53PM

Nicb1 wrote:

I was diagnosed on March 29, 2019 with IDC, went through 6 cycles of TCHP with a plan to then have surgery and continue Herceptin for a full year. I had my surgery (double mastectomy with expanders) on 10/4/19 and there was a small amount (less than 4mm) of residual cancer in the affected breast. 6 lymph nodes were sent and all clear, clear margins, and left breast clear. My doctor wants to switch from Her Elton to Kadcyla based on the results of the resent Katherine Study. I have been in deep depression every since my surgery. You would think I’d be so excited to have NED and done with chemo and the first surgery. My depression is mostly fear of recurrence because this aggressive chemo did not kill it all and because I’m going to be starting a new drug and I’m afraid I will feel like I did with chemo which was HORRIBLE!! Can anyone give me any info on Kadcyla and how it worked for them with a similar diagnosis of mine and what side effects they had. I’m reading that it’s common to cause your counts to be off and I’m also afraid of going through this reconstruction phase while being on this drug. Thanks for any help

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Nov 6, 2019 07:09AM Hybrids wrote:

Hi! I had very little response to TCHP so was switched from HP to Kadcyla in January. I just finished my 14th (& last) cycle at the beginning of Oct. I was tired and sleep longer than normal while I was on it and my potassium and magnesium levels stayed low, it other than that, it was a cake walk compared to TCHP. I had a few nosebleeds in the beginning and my mouth was dry a lot but that got better the longer I was on it. I have joint pain and have had it since I started Kadcyla but I believe that’s from the Arimidex because I started both at the same time (and I’ve been off Kadcyla for a month now and still have the joint pain). Regular exercise lessens the joint pain a lot.

Kadcyla can cause low platelets, but they should monitor that regularly, along with all your other numbers. Everyone is different, but from what I understand, most women have a similar response to Kadcyla so don’t worry too much. You’ve got the hard stuff out of the way

Dx 4/20/2018, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Dx 4/20/2018, DCIS, Left, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (DUAL) Targeted Therapy 5/10/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/10/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/10/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 10/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 10/22/2018 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 10/25/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Radiation Therapy 11/27/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/24/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 11/12/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal

Jan 2, 2020 02:06PM FNPMom wrote:

hi the kadcyla does cause joint pains - I just received my 2nd dose and I have been achy since after the first one - I’m not on anything else as my onc wants to stabilize my kadcyla dose before starting the tamoxifen

Dx 5/1/2019, DCIS/IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 5/24/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 5/24/2019 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/24/2019 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 10/10/2019 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Targeted Therapy 11/8/2019 Kadcyla (T-DM1, ado-trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/6/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)