Join Us

We are 222,244 members in 83 forums discussing 162,404 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Why am I so afraid of mammograms?

Forum: Stage I Breast Cancer — Meet other members with a Stage I breast cancer diagnosis to share information and support.

Posted on: Jul 8, 2020 11:05AM

lola12 wrote:

Tomorrow I have my mammogram. If all is well, I will be 10 years since my diagnosis.

Each year, life stands still until I get my mammogram. I don't plan and my anxiety goes off the wall. I wish I knew how to control this, I know the odds are good.

Does anyone also experience this? Any coping mechanisms?

Lola

Lola

Page 2 of 2 (34 results)

Posts 31 - 34 (34 total)

Sep 25, 2020 06:48PM Salamandra wrote:

I don't think of myself as having scanxiety or being nervous for tests. But I notice that I am going for my mammogram on Monday and and my productivity has been in the floor the last couple of days while my appetite has been through the roof and now that I think about it, maybe I am a lot more nervous than I let myself connect with.

It's a bit helpful to realize this because I can be a bit easier on myself now.

I'm only two years out. I'm 41 and this is all also a reminder of how my life is different than I ever thought it would be at this age, and different from the lives of many of my peers.

Maybe I will treat myself to some really good sushi if the place near my medical center is still there.

Dx at 39. 1.8cm. Oncotype 9. Dx 9/19/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/18/2018 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 12/3/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Fareston (toremifene)

May 29, 2021 12:02PM lola12 wrote:

It's funny how time changes so many things and changes nothing. I started this post last year, and now it is 1 year later and I am already getting nervous about my annual mammogram. In fact, I am going to try to go next week just to get this anxiety at bay. I am 10 years cancer free from uni-mastectomy and 10 years of tamoxifen. Ive even had my ovaries removed, yet the mammogram is the most anxious thing I do all year. I still dont have coping mechanisms, other than a tall vodka and club, haha, but I wish this feeling on no-one.

My sister in law goes with me each year, she has predominantly fatty breasts and never had an issue, but I make her worry about her mammogram too!

Crazy, any suggestions, thoughts or reflection would really help.

Lola

May 29, 2021 03:15PM AliceBastable wrote:

Every year I have my mammogram, visit with breast surgeon, CT scan, and visit with urologist (had nephrectomy due to kidney cancer same year as breast cancer) all in the same week. This year they're on consecutive days. They're a pain in the butt, the mammogram is uncomfortable, the CT is annoying and feels weird, but I don't get particularly anxious. I try to think of them as routine maintenance. Like most people who have had cancer(s), there's always a rude, nasty little voice whispering "what if, what if" for every new or lasting ache or pain or twinge, but I see mammograms and CTs as reassuring; if there IS something there, it will be caught early enough to do something about it.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Boring. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/10/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/7/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Jun 2, 2021 10:37AM lola12 wrote:

Well I have my mammogram tomorrow and they will be able to read it for me while I wait. It is funny, I am ok with all of the other routine maintenance- no worries about bloodwork, colonoscopy, Pap smear- it is just the dreaded mammogram. As I write this, it does not make sense, but boy I am stressed to almost immobilized.

I am a teacher, and we talk about statistics all of the time. I was stage 1A, 10 years of tamoxifen, unilateral mastectomy, etc. I even worry about my sister, she had a mammogram tomorrow too. We go together. She has "predominantly fatty breasts" and never had a problem with mammograms. Again, the statistics are in our favor.

It indeed is the what if!

Lola

Page 2 of 2 (34 results)