Join Us

We are 216,717 members in 84 forums discussing 160,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Advocacy smorgasbord-Advocate 4 breast cancer, healthcare causes

Forum: Advocacy — Join here to discuss issues where we can have a voice!

Posted on: Feb 25, 2020 01:22PM

Lumpie wrote:

I think that many of us want a way to advocate for breast cancer and health care related causes. Sometimes we aren't sure where to begin. Sometimes the cause is ...or is not...a good fit. Recognizing that our time, energy, interests and other available resources vary, I thought it might be beneficial to start a thread that would allow us to share links that offer others an opportunity to speak up and be hear to the extent they are comfortable. Some may be "one minute activist" type. Others may require more time and effort. Share generously. Pick and choose what works for you. Advocacy smorgasbord!

In general, please share postings that relate to breast cancer causes or access to care for breast cancer. Please be respectful of members' varying outlooks and preferences.

Thanks for being part of the effort, the conversation and the solution!

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/14/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Page 4 of 4 (94 results)

Posts 91 - 94 (94 total)

Jul 22, 2020 08:10AM Lumpie wrote:

Tell Congress to Expand Paid Leave for People With Chronic Heath Conditions

"Do I lose my salaried job that I love, which gives me the health benefits I need as a cancer survivor, or do I keep my job and risk contracting COVID-19, which could kill me?" asks Veronika, a cancer survivor.

Use the links below to call or email your Members of Congress, or contact Lindsay Houff and we are happy to help you.

Phone Script for Calling Congressional Offices

Below is a brief script to use when calling Congressional offices to support paid leave.

My name is _________ and I am a constituent of yours from _________. I am calling to ask that you expand eligibility for the paid family and medical leave to include people with chronic conditions, like cancer, and working members of their households. This will help ensure that the health and well-being of cancer survivors like me (or my loved one), who are considered high risk for COVID-19, are protected and can remain home if their job would put their health at risk.

For more tips on how to tell your story and relate them to talking points about expanding paid leave, download this helpful worksheet.

This action is sponsored by the National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship.

You can go here for more resources and instructions: https://www.canceradvocacy.org/nccs-news/advocacy-alert-tell-congress-to-expand-paid-leave-eligibility-to-cancer-survivors/?mc_cid=a69a16e1ef&mc_eid=12d673e585

"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." "If adventures will not befall a young lady in her own village, she must seek them abroad." "Buy the ticket, take the ride." Dx 2015, DCIS/IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Chemotherapy 1/14/2016 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/14/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Dx 2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Surgery Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 22, 2020 08:54AM MelissaDallas wrote:

Lumpie, have you considered that the effect of you “adopting” threads to wallpaper them with your research links has the effect of quashing active discussion on the thread? It does. Nothing to keep you from starting your own threads. Justmy observation.

LCIS, extensive sclerosing adenosis, TAH/BSO & partial omentectomy for mucinous borderline ovarian tumor.

Jul 22, 2020 02:26PM Lumpie wrote:

MelissaDallas: Humm... Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My intent has not been to discourage discussion but rather to provide a a way for those who seek efficient access to organized advocacy efforts to access those and make their voices heard. Certainly, not all efforts will appeal to all readers. Many of us probably feel like our plates are full and it can be hard to research issues and build efficient communications efforts from scratch. I would encourage those who wish to discuss issues or approaches to advocacy to do so.

Jul 22, 2020 02:32PM Lumpie wrote:

The US Congress is currently considering options for COVID relief before certain provisions expire in late July and the elections gear up for the fall season. Therefore, if you get email, you will probably receive solicitations to voice your concerns. And it offers opportunities to speak up via templated citizen participation efforts.

There is a Komen campaign at present. They are asking Congress to:

- Implement Chemotherapy Parity

- Declare Clinical Trials for Treatments for Life-Threatening Conditions as Essential

- Open Healthcare.gov Enrollment and Increase Medicaid Funding

- Address Surprise Medical Billing

- Expand Paid Leave

If you wish to learn more or participate, you can go here: https://p2a.co/UdiZI71

Page 4 of 4 (94 results)