Join Us

We are 219,659 members in 84 forums discussing 161,620 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Feelings about breast cancer awareness month

Forum: Coping with Holidays, Special Days and Anniversaries — Holidays and special days, like birthdays and anniversaries, can be filled with complex emotions. Are they a time to celebrate or are they extra difficult? Share your feelings and experiences here.

Posted on: Oct 2, 2015 09:42AM

Moderators wrote:

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, which can be an overwhelming time for many women and men affected by breast cancer, but could also be seen as a month of hope and progress against the disease.

We want to hear from you about what you think and feel approaching this month.

To send a Private Message to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/mem...
Log in to post a reply

Page 5 of 6 (163 results)

Posts 121 - 150 (163 total)

Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 05:24PM ShetlandPony wrote:

Some thoughts this October 1:

The pink celebrations and marketing are inappropriate. We are talking about a disease. Pink parties and merchandise usually raise very little money that actually goes to research or to help cancer patients deal with the disruption of their lives and the financial devastation. Often most of the money just goes back into the awareness machine or to company profits.

The pink celebration perpetuates the trivialization and often sexualization of breast cancer. It marginalizes the people who will die from this disease (through no fault of their own), because they do not fit the narrative of the victorious survivor, the image that brings in the dollars.

What does "awareness" mean when people are not aware that 25-30% of early stagers (I-III) will have a metastatic recurrence, the incurable, lethal form of the disease? What does awareness mean when people are not aware that only around 7% of money raised goes toward research for a cure or normal lifespan? What does awareness mean when men are not aware they can get breast cancer and so will be diagnosed later and have poorer survival? What does awareness mean when women are not aware that mammograms are not a cure, and do not always "catch it early"? What does awareness mean when people think reconstruction is a great free boob job and do not understand the pain and complications reconstruction can entail, and when some surgeons still refuse to give a woman a smooth flat chest if she asks for that? What does awareness mean when our friends, coworkers and even family do not realize we are forever changed and often forever suffering side-effects of treatment even though we "look good"?

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 05:44PM DivineMrsM wrote:

Well worded post, Shetland!


found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets------------- Chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex------------- March2019/Ibrance-Aromasin---------- Sept2019/Verzenio-Aromasin
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 05:49PM Trishyla wrote:

I'm looking for the like button, Shetland. I hate that people think I should be happy because I got a boob job and tummy tuck from my recon. Really? I would trade the "new" body for the old body, sags, bags and droopy skin, in a heartbeat if I could just be cancer and lymphedema free.

I also hate the sexualization of our disease. Do we have events to save the bladders, or the kidneys or the pancreases? Nope. Just the Tatas. God I hate that term. So freaking trivial. And demeaning.

Rant over. I'm doing my best to educate others about the realities of living with breast cancer. That's my way of saying piss off, pinktober.

Trish

Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 8/5/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 05:50PM Traveltext wrote:

Spot on Shetland.


NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 07:47PM - edited Oct 1, 2019 07:49PM by ShetlandPony

Thanks, guys.

P.S. Thank you to BCO for providing this discussion board. It is truly helpful.

2011 Stage I ILC 1.5cm grade1 ITCs sn Lumpectomy,radiation,tamoxifen. 2014 Stage IV ILC mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 09:18PM AliceBastable wrote:

Trishlya, I had breast cancer AND kidney cancer last year. I'd take 10 lumpectomies before going through a nephrectomy again - which I can't because I need my remaining kidney to stay alive. I DETEST the whole breast cancer awareness crap, partly because if anything's gonna come back to bite me in the ass, it'll be the kidney. Just finding a semi-decent forum for kidney cancer was a chore. But even though the kidney cancer was, for me, a bigger surgery and scarier experience, mostly the reactions I've gotten have been, "Uh-huh. But you've had BREAST cancer!" like it's some freaking sorority I joined. Grrrrrrr.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Boring. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 09:36PM octogirl wrote:

Yesterday I was driving home on the interstate, and passed an advertisement for a regional cancer center, which consisted of nothing more than the name of the Center and a photograph of a very attractive woman gazing into the distance as the breeze blew through her hair, with a smile on her face, and the tagline: "New Patients Always Welcome".

Really? whatever happened to even pretending the goal was to wipe out this disease? In what universe is this an acceptable way to market your services? Not in mine.

So yeah, for all the reasons others have expressed more eloquently than me: I hate Pinktober. Want nothing to do with it, and am angry that it taints one of my favorite months (beautiful fall weather, my wedding anniversary, Halloween, fall colors...)..and pink: Yuck.

Octogirl

Dx 6/18/2015, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/16/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 9/8/2015 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2015 Hormonal Therapy 1/14/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/8/2016 Femara (letrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 10:10PM - edited Oct 1, 2019 10:18PM by Traveltext

Oncogirl,that billboard well sums up the casual nature many charities, institutions and businesses have towards this disease, particularly in this month. It's as if you might just turn up for treatment after diagnosis, have a few procedures, then you're all done and dusted. We all know that's not the case.

Anyway, here's my mansplaining Pinktober rant in PDF form. Feel free to share the link with your friends and relatives.

http://malebc.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/GenderBiasTowardsMenWithBreastCancer.pdf


NED breast and prostate cancer. More on Male BC

Dx 03/14, IBC, Lgth. 2cm, Stge IIIB, Gde 2B, ER+/PR+, HER2- ; FEC x3, Taxol x3; Mx & 2/23 nodes; Rads x 33; now on tamoxofin.

Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 10:30PM Trishyla wrote:

I hear you. Alice. Not to downplay breast cancer, because mine was kind of a crap diagnosis, but for some reason other cancers scare me more. Lung, colon, pancreatic, brain. Kidney is no walk in the park, either.

People seem shocked when I talk openly about having breast cancer, as if it's something to be embarrassed about. Bugs me.


Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 8/5/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 10:34PM - edited Oct 1, 2019 11:30PM by Trishyla

This Post was deleted by Trishyla.
Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Dx 9/6/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 9/28/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/4/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Chemotherapy 8/5/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 11:12PM AliceBastable wrote:

On one hand there's the "Breast cancer! Breast cancer! Rah rah rah!" craziness, then there's the ol' puritanical avoidance of the word "breast." It's a weird dichotomy of adoration and embarrassment that doesn't seem to happen with other body parts. I guess the overall emotional and mental age of a good portion of the world's citizens is about eleven.

Endometrial cancer 2010, basal cell multiples, breast cancer 2018, kidney cancer 2018. Boring. Dx 5/2018, ILC/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/11/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 8/8/2018 Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes
Log in to post a reply

Oct 1, 2019 11:39PM gailmary wrote:

I was a bit surprised at everybodys reactions to all the pink stuff and bc awareness promotional ads etc. About my only thought on all that stuff is that i dont feel it is depicted realistiically. They could really give everyone a better education anout mbc. Most are quite ignorant on it.

That leads me to a bit of a dilemma. I am speaking to a group of 50 women next week. Casual acquaintances really at a social club. Great opportunity to remind them to get the girls checked. How much do i say? Is it inappropriate to say anything at all. I dont care what they know of my circumstances but thats not the topic on the agenda. Maybe just a few words? Any suggestions?

Gail Mary

Dx 11/25/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 4/13/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 07:26AM DivineMrsM wrote:

Alice, your post is so powerful, describing the differences between cancers. With all the promotion bc awareness gets, no wonder people seem to think its the holy grail of all cancers.

Traveltext, your article about men with bc is insightful. I saw the news yesterday that Beyonce’s father, Matthew Knowles, was diagnosed with bc.

gailmary, what topic is on the agenda where you’re speaking?


found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets------------- Chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex------------- March2019/Ibrance-Aromasin---------- Sept2019/Verzenio-Aromasin
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 08:23AM VL22 wrote:

I’ve seen some women with breast cancer go all in on Pinktober and I would never criticize that choice. My #1 issue with it is that so many companies cash in on it with a minuscule % of actual profits going to actual research.

I also take issue with the celebration like events, with catch phrases alluding to our taking a “journey”, this being a new start or beginning. I for one didn’t need to get this shit disease to appreciate my life and family. I didn’t need this “fresh start”.

My cancer center last year had an event for women of all stages which included talks, massage, lunch etc. I hung out with a very young woman whose breast cancer was misdiagnosed for like a year. She was newly married. Ended up she was stage4 - bone and brain mets. Her husband left her soon after the diagnosis. She was bald and had trouble walking and was just so thrilled to be at this event, because she didn’t get out much. Many of her friends had “moved on”. Her dad was picking her up after. I went home that day, got in the shower and bawled my eyes out.

This is breast cancer - one of the many many intolerable stories. But this isn’t as marketable

Dx 5/5/2017, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Dx 6/23/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 8/9/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 1/10/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/11/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 09:09AM Yogatyme wrote:

As a recently diagnosed bc pt I am acutely aware of how the efforts to “heighten bc awareness” falls short to say the least. Until my diagnosis I (and most of my friends and family) didn’t know that bc is not ONE disease. I do not donate to Koman for the same reason I don’t donate to United Way.....too little is designated for actual care and research. And stop all the “prevention” talk. There is no way to “prevent” breast cancer. Many women with genetic mutations have prophylactic mastectomy believing it will prevent bc.....it reduces the risk but they can still get bc on chest wall, etc. All those stupid slogans are degrading and trivialize these horrible diseases that killing women every day. So, I won’t be wearing pink this month as a “statement”.

Yogatyme Surgery 3/2/2019 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 7/19/2019, IDC: Papillary, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/12/2019 Mastectomy: Left, Right
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 10:02AM edj3 wrote:

I've shared this before but I was diagnosed with melanoma about 18 months before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm not thrilled to have breast cancer but candidly the melanoma scares me far more because it's a sneaky FAST nasty cancer.

The enormous difference between the level of support I've gotten from my medical team and from society for breast cancer compared to melanoma is staggering. I basically got nothing except come in have it removed, here are the next steps for the next five years, k thx bai on the melanoma.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the support I'm currently getting (and I'm using nearly all the resources). But wow what a difference.

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Surgery 5/6/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 11:23AM Pamela898 wrote:

i want to encourage the need for creating awareness often, not just when we are in the month of October. There is need to spread the preventive approach to cancer, make it well known. Must importantly its good will talk about diet and life styles that will predispose one to cancer. I also encourage free training of health caregiver and other individuals who are interested on knowing new innovations regarding breast cancer.

I want to support and encourage all breast cancer survivors.

October is here again let's keep talking about breast cancer!!!⁴

Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 11:59AM Scrafgal wrote:

I think that it depends on what we mean by pink celebrations. I watched GMA yesterday, since BC.org members were there. Personally, I enjoyed seeing survivors celebrating the number of years that they have been surviving. Just because many women and men die of this disease every year should not take away from the joy of surviving and celebrating that, every year. Does it need to happen in October, no. However, there is a great sense of community that can be fostered by coming together to think about our gratefulness in surviving, motivating women to take their risk of breast cancer seriously by getting checked, and motivating others to donate directly to research initiatives--not necessarily via a purchase of a consumer good, but directly. These are all possible outcomes of the attention during a singular month.

Regarding community, I actually felt better hearing that Robin Robert wished that some one had told her that she would face depression AFTER treatment. Some women don't come here and don't seek help via support groups. Maybe they saw Robin Roberts and felt better, too. GMA and the media-reach that Robin Roberts has is very useful to what I think is a worthy effort.

Does more need to be done beyond awareness? Of course. However, many of the behavioral outcomes that we want often start with awareness.

Do we need more research on MBC? Yes. Does that mean that survivors without MBC should not celebrate? No.

Did Michael Strahan and Mathew Knowles perhaps inspire more men to check themselves for breast cancer, having told their stories on GMA? Probably. This is especially true for the Black community where more attention is needed.

Oh, and speaking of the Black community, do we need more efforts dedicated to reducing the disparities in health care access, treatment and interactions with members of the medical community? Absolutely. Does this mean that we can't celebrate our wins until the world is perfect? No.

So, in the end, why waste time being angry about what is a well-intentioned albeit imperfect effort. Why not channel our anger toward the real enemy: Cancer. That's what got us here in the first place.

Dx 12/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/6/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 3/22/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 6/15/2017 FAC Hormonal Therapy 9/25/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/13/2017 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 5/9/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery 10/16/2018 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo Surgery 5/9/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy 7/23/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/6/2019 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 12:26PM Yself wrote:

I have had it twice. My oldest sister died after her second time resulted in the loss of an eye and went to her brain. One of our cousins died from breast cancer.

October should be the month to remind everyone to have a manmogram

Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 12:29PM Yself wrote:

No one is victorious after treatment for breast cancer. My sister and I both had it twice. I am cery much aware I could still die from it

Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 12:59PM Beesie wrote:

Pamela, I see that this is your first post on this site. Do you have breast cancer?

What awareness do you want to create? Everyone knows about breast cancer. To Shetland Pony's excellent post, it's in the details where the awareness is missing. Is this the type of awareness you are referring to, because it's not what I see in most of the October activities (or in your brief post) and it's not what we need extended year around. We need real education of the real facts about breast cancer.

Are you aware that most breast cancers are caused by factors that are completely outside of our control? It's been a while since I've read up on this, but I believe that only approx. 15%-20% of breast cancers are caused, indirectly, by lifestyle and environmental factors. Some of these factors are outside of our control, people who had rads for a childhood cancer, for example. Almost all lifestyle and environmental factors that increase breast cancer risk are in fact only indirectly linked to breast cancer development and are not specifically causal. For example, while regular exercise, a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight do reduce risk, many women who exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight nevertheless are diagnosed with breast cancer. Of course for our overall health it's important to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but you are misleading women if you tell them that a healthy lifestyle will prevent the development of breast cancer. To some extent you are also 'blaming the victim' by implying that those of us who developed breast cancer perhaps caused it because of our lifestyle choices and by not taking a "preventive approach to cancer".

What "new innovations regarding breast cancer" are you referring to?

Wondering if your post was a one time thing to promote breast cancer awareness (as if those of us here don't already know about breast cancer), or if we will hear from you again.

Scrafgal, I only watched GMA for a few minutes yesterday, but what immediately turned me off (in addition to the overload of pink and the rah-rah approach) was that they had all these women with signs saying how many years they have been "thriving". The implication to me was that everyone with breast cancer thrives. I guess therefore if you have breast cancer and are not thriving, it means you are doing it wrong? I don't see the connection between breast cancer and thriving. Yes, many of us do thrive in our lives after our breast cancer diagnoses - this is called moving on with life. This is not unique to breast cancer but it's what you would hope most people are able to do after having a serious illness or life changing event. Some women thrive while going through breast cancer treatment, but that's probably not the majority. Many women have a difficult time, physically and/or emotionally, through treatment, and then have difficulty adjusting to life afterwards, because of the long-term side effects of their treatments. And of course, women with mets are never done with treatment. I found the focus on "thriving" to encompass the miscommunications and misunderstandings about breast cancer. Yes, hopefully we all thrive in our lives, but it might take a whole lot of work and time to get there, and it's likely despite having breast cancer rather than because of having breast cancer. For most breast cancer patients, there is this period between diagnosis and thriving that just isn't that much fun. I did not stay to watch the discussion so maybe that was discussed by the BCO members who were there - I hope so. Without that, it's just a message about how breast cancer is easy to get through and overcome. True for some, not true for many.


“No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear.” Edmund Burke
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 01:02PM edj3 wrote:

Beesie, you wrote:

For example, while regular exercise, a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight do reduce risk, many women who exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet and maintain a healthy weight nevertheless are diagnosed with breast cancer.


Were you introducing me? Happy Because yeah, that's me all the way down to the dx!

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Surgery 5/6/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 01:14PM - edited Oct 2, 2019 01:15PM by SimoneRC

Thank you, Beesie! You are not a person who never lets the facts get in the way of a good story! I find your fact based, well thought out and articulate posts to be very helpful and thought provoking.



ATM Gene Mutation, Deletion. IDC w/Lobular Features and Focal Mucinous Features. Pre Pectoral Reconstruction. Hysterectomy
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 02:57PM Scrafgal wrote:

I agree, Beesie, but don't think that my points were inconsistent with the points you are making. Could someone interpret things incorrectly from brief viewing of a single television show. Yes. However, the positive outcomes that I hypothesized are also possible as a result of such media attention. So, I feel no shame in feeling great about being alive and saying so. To your point, I worked as hard as anyone through that in-between period to feel this way. The fact that some will never end treatment and die from this disease should not silence me or others from giving hope to those whom might need it or benefit from it. As I suggested, those with MBC have a legitimate gripe about lack of attention in media and from researchers. However, I don't think that it is worthwhile to suggest that early-stage BC patients are not and have not suffered deeply. I don't need to try to compare the depth of suffering across types of breast cancer or other cancers. Knowing my own pain and progress is sufficient justification for me to celebrate where I am now vs. a couple of years ago. As I suggested, communication and clarification of understated points is something that we could all add to these conversations...if only we participate in those conversations.

Dx 12/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/6/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 3/22/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 6/15/2017 FAC Hormonal Therapy 9/25/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/13/2017 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 5/9/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery 10/16/2018 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo Surgery 5/9/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy 7/23/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/6/2019 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 03:03PM - edited Oct 2, 2019 03:18PM by Scrafgal

And, as for being healthy before BC...that was me! So, I know that there is no secret sauce to guarantee that we can avoid it! For goodness sakes, I was doing chemo next to a professional nutritionist, non-smoker, non-drinker, yoga-doing mother of 3 kids under 30 years old,who was in disbelief that she got BC!

Dx 12/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/6/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 3/22/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 6/15/2017 FAC Hormonal Therapy 9/25/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/13/2017 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 5/9/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery 10/16/2018 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo Surgery 5/9/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy 7/23/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/6/2019 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 03:07PM Meow13 wrote:

Me too. Nothing irritates me more than the healthy weight and exercise and proper eating will greatly reduce your risk. I was in excellent shape and have no family history or carry any known genes. I got it.

Until real knowledge is out there on why we get this and how to prevent it I think they should just STOP it.

Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 03:23PM Lexica wrote:

Totally in agreement with all of that. Unfortunately (...or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, I guess), there are studies out there that support that information re: exercise and diet. So, while I think it sucks that it makes it look like you have any control over getting this disease, if there is any truth to the research, then we shouldn't oppose advertising it...maybe just framing it differently? I don't know. I'm in the public health field and it makes me cringe to hold back on messages that encourage people to exercise and eat healthy. I think the messaging just needs to show both sides - yes all of this can reduce your risk, but some people get it anyway? Ugh, that's so not going to inspire people to lead healthy lifestyles, lol.

Diagnosed at 34. 2 years of Ibrance via PALLAS trial (ends 4/2020) Dx 7/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 12/14/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Dx 12/27/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 5/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy 1/15/2018 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 03:23PM - edited Oct 2, 2019 03:24PM by Scrafgal

Agree, Meow...not that I am perfect, but I already literally did everything that was recommended and have no genetic link to any cancers. The only good thing is (and admittedly, I am the glass half full person that people love to hate), most of the recommendations would have other general health benefits anyway...I do feel sorry for the people who started getting healthy JUST to avoid cancer. They feel duped when they get cancer! I was being healthy to avoid heart disease, which runs in my family. I never thought that I would get cancer.

Dx 12/2016, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/6/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 3/22/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 6/15/2017 FAC Hormonal Therapy 9/25/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 10/13/2017 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant Surgery 5/9/2018 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Surgery 10/16/2018 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo Surgery 5/9/2019 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy 7/23/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 9/6/2019 Reconstruction (right): Nipple tattoo
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 03:34PM edj3 wrote:

Yeah I don't live this lifestyle to avoid cancer (good thing, since that didn't work!). I do it because I feel good that way, I like to run and I like to go as fast as I can so staying fit and thin helps me.

Tried the tamoxifen, no thanks. Dx 4/9/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 5/6/2019, LCIS, Left, <1cm, 0/1 nodes Surgery 5/6/2019 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 6/2/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 9/23/2019 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)
Log in to post a reply

Oct 2, 2019 03:37PM - edited Oct 2, 2019 03:38PM by DivineMrsM

Scrafgal & Beesie, you both articulate your points of view so well that I can i understand where both of you are coming from with your differing perspectives. So I have to agree with both of you!

Yesterday I heard diet and exercise as being framed “How diet and exercise can help *reduce your risk* of breast cancer." Not saying prevention. I think some media is understanding the nuances involved in how the disease is presented to the public.

It varies, tho. Some news shows will say reduce risk and then some celebrity on a talk show may say diet and exercise preventsbc. It matters where people get their information.



found lump 12/22/10~er+/pr+/her2- stage iv bone mets------------- Chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex------------- March2019/Ibrance-Aromasin---------- Sept2019/Verzenio-Aromasin

Page 5 of 6 (163 results)