We are 189,011 members in 81 forums discussing 141,576 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity → Topic: BC & Autoimmune Diseases: How many? What does the research say?

Topic: BC & Autoimmune Diseases: How many? What does the research say?

Forum: Breast Cancer with Another Diagnosis or Comorbidity — Meet others who have breast cancer but also have another health diagnosis/comorbidity such as diabetes, MS, bipolar disorder, HIV or AIDS, Parkinson's Disorder, schizophrenia, etc.

Posted on: Sep 19, 2015 09:57PM

ailenroc wrote:

A 7-year BC survivor, I've developed an autoimmune disease that so far has not been clearly diagnosed: different docs say different things: Rheumatic arthritis; psoriatric arthritis, testing positive for lupus without the typical symptoms ... My symptoms are a progressive eczema on my hands: skin thickening, itchy then peeling. Swollen & red knuckles, intermittently similar symptoms on my other joints.

My doctors are mostly useless - thus far. Onc / BS not interested: see someone else: PCP or dermatologist or rheumatologist or ...

PCP is helpless and big eyed: see dermatologist.

Dermatologist has now for 2 years tried every cortisone ointment to no avail and has no other suggestions.

My suggestion that this is systemic and perhaps related to the BC, and the two skin cancers (SCC & melanoma) I developed since then is pooh-pooed. Each is an isolated incidence they say.

I don't believe it.

4 questions (perhaps we can have a survey of sorts):

1. How many of you do have both: BC and an autoimmune disease? What kind of autoimmune disease? Which came first BC or AD?

2. Do you know of any good research on the topic?

3. What steps or tests to take?

4. Do you have a recommendation for a good doctor in Southern California to address this issue?

Oncotype score: 1; BRCA neg; bilat bc & bilat mx w recon; Dx 5/30/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 3 (67 results)

Posts 61 - 67 (67 total)

May 15, 2017 03:46PM balance wrote:

Teachermom46 I sent you a private message.

Dx 5/3/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/7/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 6/12/2012 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil) Hormonal Therapy 10/6/2012 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 10/8/2012 Breast, Lymph nodes

May 21, 2017 06:10AM dsteaparty wrote:

I was diagnosed with an autoimmune reaction in 2015 and have been taking plaqunil since then. Breast-cancer was diagnosed in February of this year but was supposed to be 6-8 years old. Lobular.

Dx 2/17/2017, ILC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2017 Femara (letrozole)

May 21, 2017 06:15PM - edited May 21, 2017 06:16PM by susie_2017

I was searching for a discussion page that talked about celiac and breast cancer, because I have both!! I wonder about the connection. 2012-celiac but im sure I had it all of my life. 2017-breast cancer

Oncotyping = 44 Dx 3/24/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/5/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/23/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery Prophylactic ovary removal Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast

May 24, 2017 01:06AM - edited May 24, 2017 01:06AM by Glutencrafty

I was diagnosed in 2007 with celiac but I am also sure I have had itsince child hood. I found my lump only recently, this past March.

Jun 14, 2017 11:24PM Basilbee wrote:

Hi! Newbie here looking for info about managing treatments for both auto-immune diseases and BC. For years, I went through flares of exhaustion and pain in my joints. Multiple drs and multiple diagnoses that never seemed to fit. Finally found a rheumy that narrowed down to RA and/or Sjogrens. Began plaquenil and became gluten-free about a year before BC diagnosis. Was really beginning to feel myself again. However, with the BC diagnosis/mastectomy, highly recommended to stop the plaquenil, so I did. Pain has returned but not at the level as before. I think the gluten-free life change has Helped:) I find out Tuesday whether I will have chemo based on my onctype test. My onc says I can take plaquenil but my breast surgeon whom I trust a lot, says no. Has anyone taken plaquenil during or after chemo? Would like to handle symptoms holistically, but have watched a friend's RA progress horribly without immun-suppressant meds. Curious if anyone else is dealing with this

Dx 4/14/2017, DCIS/IDC/IDC: Cribriform, Right, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/23/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy

Jun 15, 2017 04:55AM dtad wrote:

Hi there. I also have multiple autoimmune disease. The worst being a severe systemic peripheral neuropathy tat causes generalized pain in entire body. I also have Celiac so I'm gluten free. Others include Hashimotos, endometriosis and interstitial cystitis. Please feel free to PM me if you want to talk more. My medical issues before my BC diagnosis has definitely affected my decisions about treatment. Good luck to all navigating this disease...

Dx 3/20/2015, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/10/2015, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/21/2015 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Jun 20, 2017 09:15PM dsteaparty wrote:

basil bee - I am also on plaqunil for RA symptoms. My oncologist said it was best to manage my RA joint pain because my treatment was only going to make it worse. I am currently taking femara and Lupron injections and I am also gluten-free and dairy free. I feel OK most of the time. I have adjusted to most of the side effects. And for now the exercise and diet changes have really helped to moderate my pain. Oh wait I forgot, Cymbalta I am also on Cymbalta to help with pain and depression. It seems to be a cocktail that is working for me. I am still watching this page to see if anyone comes up with a connection between with cancer and autoimmune.

Dx 2/17/2017, ILC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2017 Femara (letrozole)

Page 3 of 3 (67 results)