Topic: How do you know if treatment worked?

Forum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis —

Posted on: Jan 1, 2022 12:59PM - edited Jan 7, 2022 07:48AM by jeet

Posted on: Jan 1, 2022 12:59PM - edited Jan 7, 2022 07:48AM by jeet

jeet wrote:

This Post was deleted by jeet.

Page 3 of 4 (32 results)

Jan 2, 2022 06:24PM voraciousreader wrote:

calinana…HugHeart

Doctor told me regarding my prognosis that I WASN'T on the Titanic! Hmmm...Really?....Okay! 02/2010 Pure Mucinous Breast Cancer, Oncotype DX 15, Stage 1, Grade 1, 1.8 cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+ 90% /PR+ 70% HER2- (+1)

Jan 2, 2022 07:29PM lillyishere wrote:

We don't know if the treatments are working or not and that's why we need to see MO every few months for many years to come. Radiation was discovered in the late 1800s and chemo in the early 1930s and they are still the main cancer treatments even today. Even with new treatments here and there, and billions of dollars on cancer research, we are still in unknown territory.

“Within five years, cancer will have been removed from the list of fatal maladies.” That was the optimistic promise to U.S. President William Howard Taft in 1910 when he visited Buffalo’s Gratwick Laboratory, “What’s taking so long?” Dx 7/31/2019, ILC, Left, <1, Stage IIA, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/31/2019 Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole) Surgery 9/1/2019 Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/1/2019 Mastectomy (Left): Nipple Sparing; Mastectomy (Right): Nipple Sparing; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Surgery 9/19/2019 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 11/30/2019 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2019 Femara (letrozole), Aromasin (exemestane) Dx LCIS/ILC, Both breasts, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 3, 2022 11:56AM - edited Jan 3, 2022 01:41PM by moth

Just following up on an earlier post about "this is why some women choose mastectomies" ... yea , a mastectomy means no more mammograms. But it does not mean no risk of recurrence. Metastatic recurrence (as well as local ones) still occur.

There are studies indicating better survival after lumpectomy than mastectomy (in matched pts) so you might reduce scanxiety but the "this might kill me" anxiety would logically not be affected.

You do your best, do the prescribed treatments, hope and just try to move on.

ETA: link to BCO article on the lumpectomy vs mastectomy outcomes study https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/lumpect...

I take weekends off

Initial dx at 50. Seriously?? “Sometimes the future changes quickly and completely and we’re left with only the choice of what to do next." blog: Never Tell Me the Odds

Dx 12/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/12/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Chemotherapy 2/14/2018 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2018 Whole breast: Breast Dx 2/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/lungs, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/18/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Immunotherapy 3/19/2020 Tecentriq (atezolizumab) Chemotherapy 11/26/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/9/2020 External Hormonal Therapy 12/16/2020 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 3/3/2021 External Local Metastases 3/3/2021 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 1/1/2022 Trodelvy (sacituzumab govitecan-hziy) Chemotherapy 6/1/2022 Other

Jan 7, 2022 04:24AM - edited Jan 7, 2022 07:47AM by jeet

This Post was deleted by jeet.

Jan 7, 2022 05:56AM alicebastable wrote:

Jeet

From exbrnxgrl's post on January 1st:

"Yes, there are scans but they can only detect bc when it has grown large enough to be picked up by the scan and that means it has already recurred. There is no scan that can pick up bc cells, no blood test nor anything else at present that can guarantee that your treatment has been completely effective."

That answers your question pretty definitively. You may not like the answer, but that won't make it wrong.

Ignore treatment info (below) which is a BCO glitch. Do not enter personal information on this site since they grossly mishandled a data breach.

Jan 7, 2022 07:46AM mountainmia wrote:

It was hard for me to accept at first, too (and in truth, I still don't love it). But there won't be scans or other tests unless you have symptoms.

The rain comes and the rain goes, but the mountain remains. I am the mountain.

Jan 7, 2022 07:57AM spookiesmom wrote:

OP has deleted her posts.

Jan 7, 2022 08:33AM mountainmia wrote:

okay. It actually was a good discussion, IMO. As I just said, it's been hard for me to totally emotionally accept, too, that we're just sent off with a "good luck!" I'm sure jeets and I aren't the only ones! So I think it's fine for this to live on even without her comments.

Jan 7, 2022 09:19AM parakeetsrule wrote:

I hope Jeet is going to be okay! She deleted all her posts before I read the latest one.

Stage 2 at 37, Stage 4 at 41. Cancer is dumb. Cookies are good. Dx 3/21/2017, IDC, Left, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/15/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2021 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 12/13/2021 Piqray (alpelisib) Dx IDC, Other, Stage IV, ER+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Jan 7, 2022 10:04AM mountainmia wrote:

She said she was wondering about follow-up with scans besides mammograms, IIRC. She would like to feel more sure that there isn't spread to somewhere else. Hence my reply that they don't generally do scans or other tests unless there are symptoms. And yes, I hope she is doing okay and will come back if she needs any help.

Page 3 of 4 (32 results)

Scroll to top button