Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Do I really need an MRI? The wait is causing anxiety/insomnia

Options
janehicks
janehicks Member Posts: 48
edited April 2023 in Just Diagnosed

I was diagnosed with Stage 1 IDC back on March 23rd (2023) which now seems like decades ago. It's Stage 1 but my surgeon is insisting on an MRI which has taken forever to schedule since I just switched insurance. I also won't have surgery until May 4 which will be nearly 6 weeks after diagnosis.

I know there are benefits to this (I do have dense breasts) but also am concerned it will muddy the waters, bringing up false positives, more mideval biopsies, or the possibility of an unneccesary masectomy.

So I'm wondering if it's typical to order an MRI for a diagnosis such as mine or if she's acting in an abundance of caution. The whole ordeal is giving me panic attacks in the middle of the night.

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Comments

• kaynotrealname
    kaynotrealname Member Posts: 390
    edited April 2023
    Options

Is it if you're going for a lumpectomy. They need to be able to see more clearly than what a mammogram or ultrasound shows for a more exacting surgery which the lumpectomy is.

• lotusconnie1999
    lotusconnie1999 Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Janehicks, it must be very hard for you…to have the MRI might be better as your surgeon wants to see it more clearly so that the first surgery will remove all the area of concern. Stay strong…
  • janehicks
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks to you both for your responses! They help clarify a lot. I will focus on surgeon looking for clarity other than what mysteries might be lurking.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,036
    edited April 2023
    Options

Hi Jane,

We're so sorry all of this testing and imaging is giving you anxiety, but rest assured, these types of further tests help your team ensure they know everything they need to know before surgery. You can read more here about Breast MRI for Diagnosis and Monitoring.

Have you talked to your doctors about your anxiety and asked for something to help keep you calm until you have more answers? Might we worth a discussion!

We hope this helps!

--The Mods

• monarchandthemilkweed
    monarchandthemilkweed Member Posts: 154
    edited April 2023
    Options

just chiming in to stay my surgery was about 6 weeks from diagnosis. My cancer was found on a routine MRI. It felt so long to wait for the surgery but everything was fine. (The dates on my signature line aren’t accurate).

• janehicks
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks for responding, monarchandthemilkweed! That helps a great deal to know that. (I keep having middle of the night visions of this beast expanding by the day, despite my cabbage-pomegranate-green tea-walnut smoothie.)

• janehicks
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks, Mods! You are stellar as always. Read through everything and have a lot more clarity now.