Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Architectural Distortion

Options
himoc918
himoc918 Member Posts: 10
edited September 2020 in Waiting for Test Results

Went for my yearly mammo & US on August 18th. Didn't give either test a second thought until my phone rang at 11:00 AM on August 19th. saying the radiologist read my report and needs to me come in for for images. I am 54 years old and my maternal grandmother was diagnosed with BC at age 71. The below is the information on my test results obtained via the patient portal. I have an appointment for September 1st for an MA DIAGNOSTIC MAMMO & an MA MAMMO US. Trying to remain calm and stay off Dr. Google which is very difficult for me. I called my OB/GYN right after I received the call from the testing site on Thursday and am still waiting on a call back. I will call my Dr. again tomorrow to discuss these results. Any insight anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Finding 1: New possible architectural distortion in the right breast requires additional
evaluation. Additional views are recommended.

Finding 2: There is no sonographic evidence of malignancy.

HISTORY:
Patient is 54 years old and is seen for screening. The patient's last clinical breast exam was on
11/2019. The patient has no personal history of cancer. The patient has the following family
history of breast cancer: maternal grandmother, at age 71, breast cancer.

FILMS COMPARED:
The present examination has been compared to prior imaging studies performed at Professional
Office Building on 03/09/2017, 06/22/2018 and 08/01/2019.

MAMMOGRAM FINDINGS:
The following mammographic views were obtained: bilateral craniocaudal with tomosynthesis,
bilateral mediolateral oblique with tomosynthesis, bilateral craniocaudal exaggerated to axilla.
Computer-aided detection was utilized by the radiologist in the interpretation of this examination.

The breasts are heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses.

Finding 1: There is a new possible architectural distortion seen in the MLO view only in the
superior region of the right breast.

In the left breast, no suspicious masses, calcifications or other abnormalities are seen.

ULTRASOUND FINDINGS:
High resolution real time scanning was performed of all four quadrants and the retroareolar
regions of both breasts.

Finding 2: There is no evidence of any solid mass or abnormal cystic elements.

Comments

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    edited August 2020
    Options

Read Finding 2 again.

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited August 2020
    Options

Hi there. Two things seem good about this. First, it's a "possible" architectural distortion. And second, there is no evidence of a solid mass. But absolutely, talk to your doctor and see what she says. You could perhaps get an MRI to get more info.

Best wishes.

• himoc918
    edited August 2020
    Options

Thank you both for your response.

• quinnie
    quinnie Member Posts: 113
    edited August 2020
    Options

himoc918: I hesitated to respond to your topic because i don't want to scare you. I had a very similar situation last March. I never even think about my mammograms anymore and of course I was called back this time for archictural distortion. It showed up on 3D mammo and diagnostic mammo but not on the ultra sound. They ordered a MRI and it was visable on that too. There was no mass or cyst found just area of distortion. During the biopsy the radiologist really didn't feel it was anything but it was. Very small (8mm), grade 1 IDC. Best case senario. That is why the 3D mammograms are so good. this would not have shown up on regular mammogram. There are also many other things it could be so please try to stay off google, wait until all tests are taken. Only a biopsy can find cancer cells. Good Luck and let us know how things turn out,

• himoc918
    edited August 2020
    Options

thank you for the response. I’m trying to remain calm. The waiting is horrible. Trying to stay off google and praying for good news.

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    edited August 2020
    Options

This just happened to me in June. I had a 3D mammo and an ultrasound. They said I had an architectural distortion in my left breast (not the cancer breast). The ultrasound showed nothing. I have always done 3D mammos since I was diagnosed 6 years ago. They said whatever it was has been there, but now it is showing up more vividly. Well they used a brand new 3D machine (not the usual one) this time. Anyway, I ended up getting an MRI (didn't even have one of those when I was diagnosed). The MRI didn't show anything, but they do want me to come back in December to check again with a 3D mammo. I hope it turns out to be nothing for you.

Nancy

• himoc918
    edited August 2020
    Options

Nancy. Thank you for the response. I hope my findings turn out to be nothing too. Denise

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited August 2020
    Options

Posted on: 33 minutes ago

Report this Post

himoc918 wrote:

Quick Questions. My latest screening Mammogram used the term possible architectural distortion in the MLO view only. Sonogram showed not sign of malignancy.

When I talked to my OB/GYN office today they said there was an Asymmetrically finding on my mammo and I needed to go back for a diagnostics mammogram (right breast).

I asked the woman at the OB/GYN office that called me but she didn't really provide an answer.

My diagnostic mammo is scheduled from 9/1 which was the first available appoint.

Is Architectural Distortion & Asymmetrical finding the same thing?

Thanks

Definition Asymmetry (although your report does not say asymmetry)

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/asymmetry-mammography?lang=us

Architectural Distortion (which may not be there since it was only MAYB seen on one view and not sonography):

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/breast-architectural-distortion-1?lang=us

• rshen
    rshen Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2020
    Options

the waiting is the worse...I have architectural distortion as well. Have to wait almost 2 weeks for the next round.

the doctor's office was not really reassuring. I've had mammo call backs before (I started mammos when I was 25 after a benign mass was removed - and my mother was diagnosed at 40). I'm 55 now. I hate this. really scared this time.

• himoc918
    edited August 2020
    Options

rshen - good look to you. I agree the waiting is horrible. My doctor's office really didn't provide any information just that I need to go back for more images. Did your report say possible architectural distortion? My diagnostic mammogram and sonogram are on September 1st. I didn't even know what architectural distortion was so I googled it big mistake. I am staying off of google and trying to keep busy. Keep us posted on your test results.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    edited August 2020
    Options
    You haven't had the diagnostic mammogram or sonogram yet, so there isn't any information your doctor can give you.
  • rshen
    edited August 2020
    Options

nothing 'possible' about it on mine...it is architectural distortion. My appt. is next Friday. I had been dealing with the unknown fairly well until like you, I spent way too much time doing 'research'.

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited August 2020
    Options

Architectural distortion can be a sign of breast cancer. However, more often the follow-up screening finds nothing of concern.

Architectural distortion found on a mammogramhttps://breast-cancer.ca/archite-reast-mammo/

"Breast cancer commonly causes architectural distortion.

Architectural distortion uncommonly indicates cancer. More common is for architectural distortion to be 'imaginary' in the perception of the radiologist."

• rshen
    edited August 2020
    Options

Thanks so much Bessie. I am so thankful I found this forum. Really, so very thankful (women should really run the world...so much caring, support, and concern).

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited August 2020
    Options

rshen, welcome to the BCO Community! We're sorry you are here and worried but so glad you've joined us, and hope you find it to be a place of support and encouragement.

Good luck with tests results! Let us know how it all goes.

The Mods

• himoc918
    edited September 2020
    Options

Just wanted to thank everyone for the information each of you provided. I have stayed off of Dr. Google which I think has helped calm me down. I have my diagnostic mammogram and follow up US today at 2 PM EST. I was told the radiologist will read my images while I am there if he isn't in with someone else. If I find anything out I will post the information here later.

Thank you all for your kindness

Denise

• rshen
    edited September 2020
    Options

Just got home from the diagnostic mammo and ultrasound.

It is recommended I have a biopsy. I was really convince that the architectural distortion they saw was from a surgical biopsy I had years ago...but that is not the case.

Not what I was hoping to hear - but here I am (or there I'll be - Friday morning getting a biopsy!).

edited September 2020
    Options

Darn.

Good luck with the biopsy. And remember, biopsies are recommended if the Radiologist assesses even just a 2% risk of cancer. And 70% - 80% of biopsies are benign. Hopefully you'll land in the benign group.

• himoc918
    edited September 2020
    Options

I wanted to provide an update. My diagnostic mammogram and US are clear. No Architectural distortion seen on either test.

Thank you all for you kindness.

Denise

edited September 2020
    Options

himoc, that's great news! Congrats!

• rshen
    edited September 2020
    Options

himoc918 - so happy to hear. I'm sure you are so very relieved!

best of luck as you move forward and put this 'life bump in the road' - behind you.

• robinorbit
    robinorbit Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2020
    Options

Himoc—

Congratulations!

Take care of you

• nancy2581
    nancy2581 Member Posts: 407
    edited September 2020
    Options

Great news Denise. I'm so happy for you. Are they having you come back in 6 months for a follow up mammo? That's what they want me to do. I go in December.

Nancy

• himoc918
    edited September 2020
    Options

Read my test results late last night in my online chart which was different from what I was told in person.

The highlights of events are as follows:

*Screening Mammogram & US on 8/19 - possible architectural distortion seen in right breast on mammogram but not seen on US

*Diagnostic Mammogram & US on 9/1 - was told during this visit everything was good. Go home a drink a bottle of wine and celebrate we will see you in a year. I literally skipped out of the imagining center.

*Viewed my chart (test results) on 9/2 - which said the following

Possible architectural distortion in the right breast is probably benign. Mammography follow-up in
    6 months is recommended.

The breast is heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses.

Additional evaluation was performed for the possible architectural distortion in the right breast,
    superior seen on 08/19/2020. On the present examination, there is a possible architectural
    distortion in the superior region of the right breast. Possible architectural distortion has
    partially effaces.

ULTRASOUND FINDINGS:
    High resolution real-time targeted ultrasound scanning was performed of the area of interest.

The finding in question is not seen on ultrasound.

BI-RADS Category 3:
    Probably Benign

I know from reading this site that AD is seen in a mammogram but not on a US.

MY OB/GYN is semi-retired and difficult to get on the phone. I do have my annual appointment with my OB/GYN at the beginning of November.

Wondering if others have had a similar experience and if you got a second opinion?

Thank you

Denise

• Georgia1
    Georgia1 Member Posts: 188
    edited September 2020
    Options

Hi again Denise. I think from those findings you can simply wait and go in for six months. Your OB/GYN is unlikely to have any additional expertise. But we'll see if Beesie has another point of view.

Congratulations on the benign findings, and do keep up with the regular mammograms.

• himoc918
    edited September 2020
    Options

Georgia1,

Thank you for the response.

My OB/GYN called me on Saturday to let me know the results were nothing to worry about; but suggested I see breast surgeon for a second opinion and peace of mind.

My OB/GYN had my results sent to the breast surgeon. The breast surgeon's office just called to say the matter wasn't urgent and to get another mammogram / US in 6 months but she wanted to see me prior to my 6 month mammogram / US followup. I am going to see her in December.

She also wants me to go for genetic testing since my maternal grandmother had BC. She said we can talk about genetic testing during my visit in December. I have no other family history of BC and no family history of Colon cancer.

Wanted to provide an update.

Thank you

• rshen
    edited September 2020
    Options

I need to apologize. I should have posted earlier this week...but I've had such an ordeal. On a very, very positive note, on the morning of my biopsy, with the doc who was slated to perform the procedure, said it was not necessary.

Thanks to the imaging tech who spotted my scar when taking the final images, shared this info w/ the 2 docs on duty, and decided there was no need for the biopsy and it was the surgical scar which was causing the architectural distortion identified.

And while I was incredibly thankful, I was a bit miffed. that, despite asking about the scar and the finding, with 4 other healthcare providers assigned to my case...that I felt like the information I had to share, was not heard or considered. Not sure, but at the end of the day, I got way ahead of myself but it is so incredibly easy to do.

I am thankful for this community. The information provided and the love and concerned shared - really helped me through this rough patch.

Think positive!

rm

• himoc918
    edited September 2020
    Options

rshen - Congratulations! I am very happy for you!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited September 2020
    Options

rshen - good news.