Topic: Stage III and Verzenio

Forum: Stage III Breast Cancer — You are not alone. Meet others who have Stage III breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 23, 2021 04:35PM

Posted on: Jan 23, 2021 04:35PM

GraceBer wrote:

I may need to venture into the mets forum for SE coping strategies, but I’m wondering if there’s anyone else who’s been put on Verzenio (vs Ibrance or Kisquali) to prevent recurrence? My MSK oncs and Yale onc (I switched to Yale this past summer) all agreed that I should be put on a CDK 4/6 inhibitor. We waited until this fall (regional recurrence that made me stage III - DXed July 2019), due to finishing treatments and me pushing it off further due to Covid, to start. And though I was originally going to be put on Ibrance I was put on Verzenio due to its positive data coming out of the trial.

Oof! Verzenio has been rough. The Covid silver-lining is that being at home all the time is convenient for my now daily attacks of diarrhea, but I’ve got to get it under control because I want to have a better quality of life (especially in the Covid After Times).

Immodium is pretty effective at stopping the diarrhea after one or two episodes, but it hasn’t been effective used as a preventative. So, I’ve turned to probiotics a week ago. I’m taking a daily capsule of Align and trying to eat some yogurt every day. So far, I’m seeing no improvement with the probiotics.

I’m trying to up my water intake and have supplemented it with the Liquid IV powder (basically, healthier Gatorade - electrolytes with more vitamins and less sugar). That’s helping me with dehydration and keeping labs looking pretty good.

i’m taking 150mg - the recommended dose. If I can’t find a better way to manage the GI side effects, I think we’ll need to reduce my dose.

Ugh! This sucks 😕

Dx 11/26/2013, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Dx 7/17/2019, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 8/20/2019 Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Targeted Therapy Verzenio Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 7 of 10 (96 results)

Jan 28, 2022 07:17PM mle42 wrote:

Thanks Juli, it really helps to hear other people's experience, and to know that the diarrhea is manageable and won't tie me to my toilet for the next two years!

Dx 5/17/2021, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/25/2021 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/30/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2022 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/17/2022 Verzenio Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Feb 8, 2022 09:46PM runnergirl26 wrote:

Hi homemom:

I am struggling very much with lymphedema myself. I got it right out of the gate after my mastectomy and lymph node removal. I also ended up with radiation as well. I have had a recent flare that won’t reduce no matter what I do. It’s in my hand and my hand is huge. It’s so painful. I want to look into possible surgical options but in Oregon the one PS who did them at OHSU is leaving that practice. I feel like the lymph node transfer would be risky due to the fact that a person could them get lymphedema somewhere else::.: Where are you located and have you looked into it at all??

Feb 17, 2022 08:54AM mle42 wrote:

First Verzenio pill (150mg) this morning, followed by a small breakfast. I really didn't expect to experience any side effects for at least a few days, but 45 minutes after the pill I realized I was super nauseous, wondering if the yogurt I ate had gone bad, then realized, maybe it's the verzenio?? Any tips for avoiding nausea? I have zofran/compazine/etc available from my chemo days, but taking those every day for the next 2 years doesn't seem like a great thing.

Dx 5/17/2021, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/25/2021 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/30/2021 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2022 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/17/2022 Verzenio Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Feb 17, 2022 12:11PM Peggums22 wrote:

Hi mle42...I started Verzenio back in November and had the same issue w/ feeling nauseous. I found it only would last about an hour or so & after about 2 weeks of being on the pills, it went away for me. I developed a seroma after radiation & needed to have surgically to remove. My oncologist took me off the Verzenio so I could have the best chance of healing quickly (my white blood cells were lower than they liked)....I just started it back up last week and the nausea came back almost immediately but I think it's starting to subside.

Dx 12/14/2020, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIA, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 1/3/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/1/2021 Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Targeted Therapy Verzenio Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Feb 17, 2022 01:27PM moderators wrote:

Dear Peggums22,

Welcome to the BCO community. We are so glad that you reached out to share your story. We hope that you will find support and helpful information here. Please message us if we can offer any assistance to you here so you can connect to what you need.

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Feb 18, 2022 02:22AM scaredme wrote:

I am now about 5 months into Verzenio on a reduced dose (100) due to low WBCs. I feel pretty good after a somewhat rocky start. I honestly think that your body gets used to the medication!

Dx 8/11/2020, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 8/20 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/1/2020 Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel Surgery 10/30/2020 Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Modified Radical; Prophylactic mastectomy (Right) Chemotherapy 12/4/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 4/8/2021 Whole breast: Left breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2021 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 12/1/2021 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant

Feb 18, 2022 08:38AM mle42 wrote:

Thanks, Peggums and scaredme, that helps to hear!

Mar 9, 2022 09:54AM kotchaj wrote:

My doctor mentioned Verzenio this week to me and why he wants me to start it. He is sending in a pre authorization to my insurance for coverage. I'm stage IIIC with 20 lymph nodes involved. My first words out of my mouth was asking about the SE's. It will be worth it to me to get a longer time before reoccurrence. But, it is scary to think of the upset stomach issues as I am in an office and share bathrooms with 9 other people, one being male. We have two bathrooms and try to save one for him, lol.

His plan is to start me on the 100 mg dosage and see how I do. More bloodwork, yay!! Insert a bit of sarcasm there.

Chemotherapy 6/7/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 6/15/2021 Verzenio Chemotherapy 8/31/2021 Other Radiation Therapy 2/9/2022 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Left breast, Lymph nodes Dx IDC: Mucinous/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 20/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Left): Modified Radical

Mar 9, 2022 04:33PM txlorelei wrote:

I started Verzenio last week and so far have not needed any of the Imodium that arrived in the same box. I'm guessing that's because my MO put me on the 100 mg dosage instead of the 150. Blood work is scheduled for Friday.

I sure hope this stuff works because having so many positive lymph node is scary. *crosses fingers*

Dx 7/7/2020, ILC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 26/26 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 8/11/2020 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 1/4/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right): Simple; Reconstruction (Right): Aesthetic Flat Closure Dx 8/25/2021, LCIS, Left, 1cm, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/11/2021 Mastectomy (Left): Modified Radical; Reconstruction (Left): Aesthetic Flat Closure Radiation Therapy 1/3/2022 Whole breast: Lymph nodes, Chest wall, Right breast Targeted Therapy 3/3/2022 Verzenio Chemotherapy AC

Mar 13, 2022 09:03AM notascalmasilook wrote:

I’m on a verzenio break! Not because I needed a break - but in preparation for upcoming gallbladder surgery. Pausing the med 2 weeks pre and 2 weeks post op. Gives us an opportunity for a blood test before I restart to see what happens to all my numbers after a month off.

Diarrhea was IMMEDIATELY better

Dx 7/2020, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/12 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol)

Page 7 of 10 (96 results)

Scroll to top button