Join Us

We are 218,613 members in 84 forums discussing 161,137 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Starting Chemo May 2020

Forum: Chemotherapy - Before, During, and After —

Regimens, side effects, and support from others going through chemo.

Posted on: Apr 23, 2020 04:16PM - edited Jul 1, 2020 11:31PM by Angelanotangie

Angelanotangie wrote:

Hello everyone, please feel free to join. I didn't see a post for this yet so I thought I'd start one. This is actually my very first post!

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago today. I just found out yesterday that I will start chemo on 5/15. I'm doing 1 session every two weeks, with 8 weeks of Taxol followed by 8 weeks of Adriamycin and Cytoxan. Then (most likely) radiation and 10 years of hormone therapy.

I was crushed when they told me. I had been trying to prepare myself for it since they wanted me to come in person for my appointment (most of my appointments have been on the phone since Covid). My Onco score was only 14 but due to my age, LN involvement and high grade tumor, the cancer is likely to come back.

I searched for this topic because I wanted to know how people are handling the hair loss with the Covid restrictions. At my hospital they have a Positive Image center where they would normally do haircuts/shaves, wig fitting, makeup application, bra fitting/prosthetics etc but now their services are very limited. I called to make an appointment to try on wigs and scarves and they said they aren't doing that right now. All throughout this, anytime I feel powerless over my situation, I ask “what CAN I do?". I thought that facing the hair loss head on (no pun intended) was something but now it's not an option. I guess since I won't lose my hair immediately I may still be able to do this before it happens, but I really don't know how long this (Covid) is going to last! Like many have said in other forums, I'm also sad that no one can go with me to my appointments. I went through my surgery alone (while at the hospital) and all my other appointments alone. It's been hard, to say the least.

Hope to see more of you soon. Thanks for reading.

Angela

-------------------------

MAY 2020 ROLL CALL

Username (name we can call you) - [location] - known or likely start date for chemo

• Suz_eee (Suzy) - [California, USA] - 5/7
  • KeepingCalm (?) - [Maryland, USA] - 5/7
  • UnrealTarHeel (Judy) - [North Carolina, USA] - 5/12
  • PJAL (Paula) - [Maryland, USA] - 5/14
  • AngelanotAngie (Angela) - [California, USA] - 5/15
  • Arizonasurvivor42 (Christie) - [Arizona, USA] - 5/15
  • Roxiegirl (Sue) - [Oregon,USA ] - 5/21
  • Snowflake22 (Julie) - [Ontario, Canada] - 5/22
  • Sabbymama (Sabrina) - [Belgium, Europe] - 5/26
  • b00pster (Christine) - [California, USA] - 5/28
  • Cali_aargh (?) - [California,USA] - 5/29
  • Camama3 (Laurie) - [California,USA] - 6/3
  • Smichaels11 (Shauna) - [Pennsylvania,USA] - 7/1
Dx 2/3/2020, DCIS, Right, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 2/17/2020, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 2/11 nodes Surgery 4/2/2020 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 5/15/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/15/2020 Breast Surgery Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy

Page 11 of 11 (307 results)

Posts 301 - 307 (307 total)

Oct 13, 2020 09:00AM kasi2020 wrote:

Hi All,

My first time posting. I didn't even know this forum existed. So glad I found it. Since we all started this journey in May, wondering about hair growth. I did 6 rounds of TCHP. Had my DMX two weeks ago. Her 2 + ER & PR - I have been declared Cancer free on Oct 1. 💕 Istill on my h&p until next year Rads and reconstruction still left to do

My question is hair. I am trying not to freak out. I has been almost two months since my last chemo. Aug 19th and I am still bald will a few sprouts that have been there. I just found out not that long ago that taxotere can cause permanent hair loss. I pray that I am not that rare case. Checking in to see how you all are doing with hair re growth. Thanks.

Oct 13, 2020 12:42PM PJAL wrote:

Hi Kasi, Congratulations on being finished chemo. I finished my chemo at the end of July. I have some hair growth. It started coming back in different places around mid-September. Some of the bald spots are starting to fill in now. I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes at the beginning of September, but they are growing in quicker than my hair. I don't even have half an inch yet on my head. It is a very soft fuzz. I had very dark hair. When it began to come back, it was completely gray, but now some spots are beginning to come back to my natural color. My doctor told me that it will come back gray and the texture will likely be different and it will sometimes stay that way. I don't know if that's necessarily true of everyone. I think that everyone is different. We created a Facebook group to stay connected in our journey after chemo. Let us know if this is something that you would be interested in joining.

Paula

Dx 2/2020, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/3/2020 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right

Oct 13, 2020 02:11PM Camama2 wrote:

Kasi,

I had Taxotere 15 years ago (along with AC) and my hair started growing back after about 2 months. It never grew fully back and I did have partial permanent hair loss. It was just much much thinner everywhere after it grew back than before I had chemo. When I was diagnosed with BC in April of 2020 I too discovered (but only a week before) that Taxotere can cause permanent hair loss so I did cold capping with my chemo (Taxotere & Carboplatin). My last chemo was Sept 16. My hair is thinner still and I'm still losing some hair. Don't panic yet, it's very rare and even if you do you could be like me where it grows back, just thinner. Good luck!

Laurie

Laurie Dx 6/24/2005, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 2/17 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/21/2005 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal Dx 4/29/2020, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 5/13/2020 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/3/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy TAC Radiation Therapy

Oct 14, 2020 02:05AM Sabbymama wrote:

Hi Kasi,

I finished my TC on July 28th, and I am finally seeing some fuzzy growth this past week! I was panicking too, but it is slowly starting to show signs of coming back, although not evenly. Interestingly, it is much darker than my original blonde color? It's just like peach fuzz now and my daughter loves to touch it....lol. Hang in there and it should hopefully make an appearance soon! Sending positive vibes your way ;).

Cheers,

Sabrina

Dx 3/2/2020, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 4/9/2020 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/25/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/13/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 10/11/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 14, 2020 11:13AM UnrealTarHeel wrote:

Hi, all. It's been a while since I checked in. Finished chemo July 26, and had 4 weeks of rads, ending Sept. 24. It really laid me low--much more than I anticipated. But am starting to get some energy back, with periodic and unpredictable crashes. Herceptin will continue until sometime this spring.There is already a mammogram on the schedule for me Feb. 24 -- trying not to think about that right now.

My hair is definitely re-emerging and I'm going without a scarf almost all the time now. My normally very thick eyebrows thinned quite a bit, but are also coming back in. Eyelashes mostly seemed to stay put, but a giving them a couple more weeks before I feel secure in saying that.

Since I have to keep going back to the infusion center for the Herceptin, ringing the bell felt premature. But here I am SLAMMING the gong in the radiation onc waiting room after my last appointment 3 weeks ago. It was loud!

--Judy

Dx 2/28/2020, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 3/27/2020 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 5/12/2020 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/12/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 8/25/2020

Oct 17, 2020 05:07AM Sabbymama wrote:

That's awesome Judy! There's no gong or bell here in Brussels :(. I think it looks like fun in your photos! Rads had the same effect on me, I had to nap every day or at least lie down for a couple hours, but I'm a couple weeks out now and it is getting a bit better?

I had a mammogram yesterday on my non-cancer side and it went well, so hopefully yours will too! I was happy to be able to visit with the doctor here in Brussels that originally diagnosed me and sent me on my journey to recovery. It was great to thank her and update her on my treatment received back in the US and I trust her when she says my mamo was clear ;).

Happy to see your update and wishing you the best!

Cheers,

Sabrina

Dx 3/2/2020, DCIS/IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/22 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 4/9/2020 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 5/25/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 9/13/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 10/11/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 17, 2020 08:50PM PJAL wrote:

Judy-that does look like you’re having fun hitting that. I can almost hear the sound. I scheduled my mammogram too. I’m nervous.

Sabrina-glad you are doing well and glad your mammogram was good!

Dx 2/2020, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/3/2020 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right

Page 11 of 11 (307 results)