Join Us

We are 218,114 members in 84 forums discussing 160,906 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How to deal with my emotions during radiation treatments

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After —

What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 19, 2020 08:01PM

Activewoman wrote:

I am 67 and after a having a lumpectomy I am about to begin daily radiation for 4 weeks. My CT mapping and simulation days have made me feel violated, humiliated and like a side of beef. I've been feeling very exposed and weepy all weekend. Does anyone else feel like this? What can I do so I can get through the next 4 weeks? What has helped you?

Page 2 of 2 (34 results)

Posts 31 - 34 (34 total)

Oct 17, 2020 01:30PM Activewoman wrote:

Hi Colliesalways,

My last radiation treatment is this coming Monday. Glad it will be over. I am so itchy on the thinnest part of my chest (between my breasts and up towards my sternum) from the treatments, despite all the creams I am using. I expect the sunburn-like rash will slowly subside over the next few weeks (I sure hope sooner!). Ever since my bad experience with the simulation, the therapists have been very good about preparing me for any deviation from the routine session, for which I'm relieved and thankful. Don't know how they stay so chipper when every patient they see clearly doesn't want to be there. I have a follow-up with my RO in January and at my visit last week, when I was given discharge instructions, I told her "I mean this in the nicest way, but after the f/u, I hope I never see you again." She and all ROs must hear this a lot.

Glad you are heading towards your f/u and can get on with life! Thanks for writing.

Oct 17, 2020 01:58PM Colliesalways wrote:

arabians, your horses are beautiful, thanks for posting! I had to give up riding years ago due to back problems and after my last horse passed I haven't had another one on the place. Boy do I miss them, so I live my horse life vicariously through others!

Dx 2/4/2020, IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/19/2020 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/6/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 6/10/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Oct 17, 2020 08:37PM arabiansrock wrote:

Collies where in CA are you? I am in NorCal Sacramento area. If you are near me, I would be happy to have you over to my boarding barn for some horse time. I gave up horses for 11 years when my kids were little, although my son started vaulting when he was 4 so at least I got to be around them a bit then. It was very hard for me to be horseless. There is nothing like having a soft nuzzle and whicker from a horse, it just seems to sooth the soul.

btw, I love collies too, but since all my pets are rescues, I have never owned a collie.

biopsy Jul13, 2020, dx lt idc grade 2 and DCIS. RT Radial Scar/sclerosing lesion. Aug 19, 2020 bilateral lumpectomy

Oct 18, 2020 09:27PM Colliesalways wrote:

Activewoman, only one more! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, I remember well how relieved I was to be done! I burned pretty badly and it got worse that first week after. You know when your roasting a marshmallow over a fire and it catches fire? That's pretty much what I looked like lol. Not fun. But it's all healed now. I still have recurring, roving soreness and occasional intense itching which my surgeon says is normal and may or may not go away. Great. Wishing you well and a speedy recovery!

Arabians , sending you a pm so I don't hijack Activewomans thread lol.

Dx 2/4/2020, IDC: Cribriform, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 3/19/2020 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/6/2020 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 6/10/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 2 of 2 (34 results)