Topic: Starting Radiation October 2021

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 10:35AM

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 10:35AM

NatureYogi wrote:

Hello! Wanted to get a thread started for October radiation, I've met with my Radiation Oncologist and I'll be receiving 30 treatments. I also had my simulation this week and have my markers in place. Technically I start September 30, but what's one more day!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Page 2 of 22 (219 results)

Sep 22, 2021 04:30PM lw422 wrote:

Thanks, Serendipity. I saw my MO yesterday for followup and he said I wouldn't be receiving any further treatment. So no Xeloda for me! He indicated that since I had "pCR" that it would not serve any purpose, so I was glad to hear it.

Hi Swimgal. Sorry I can't answer your question about fatigue since I haven't started rads yet. You could probably get more information from one of the rads threads that have been going on for a while.

Has anyone had their simulation yet? Mine is tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. Not sure how long it will be between the simulation and my rads beginning. Argh. :hrmm:

Surgery 8/23/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Dx IBC/IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, ER-/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Right breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes

Sep 22, 2021 04:52PM serendipity09 wrote:

LW422 - simulation takes about an hour. I was a wreck too, but it wasn't bad at all. Worse part was having to have my arms above my head that whole time. I started rads fours days after my mapping was done.

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Sep 22, 2021 05:52PM lw422 wrote:

Thanks, Serendipity. I need to work on my mental outlook and decide that the sooner I get started with this, the sooner I will be FINISHED with it!! I'm going to ask about getting my appointments in mid-day if possible. I'll have to travel 45 minutes in Houston traffic to get to the medical center each day and I'd really like to avoid rush hour if at all possible. Rush hour will add significantly more travel time...ugh.

In other news, I'm finally getting some actual hair on my head!! I'm so excited so see growth and not "shiny bald head" in the mirror.

Surgery 8/23/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Dx IBC/IDC, Right, Stage IIIB, ER-/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy Right breast, Chest wall, Lymph nodes

Sep 22, 2021 06:46PM serendipity09 wrote:

LW422 - That was my mind set; I was so frustrated with my RO and my PS when they wouldn't let me start back in August. My experience is that it seems to be going quickly.

My appointments are at 10:45am per my request, but I only have a 15 minute drive. It literally takes me longer to get there then the actual appointment. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow.

Yay for the hair starting to return.

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Sep 22, 2021 06:47PM NatureYogi wrote:

The simulation isn't bad, just like Serendipity said, you have your arms above your head for quite a while. One of my hands went to sleep! Other than that it was fine and they tell you what to expect during treatment. I'm with you, the sooner we start the radiation we can get this over with and get back to our lives!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Sep 23, 2021 03:29PM lw422 wrote:

I had my consultation and simulation with the RO earlier today. It was no big deal and I was glad I have sufficient range of motion in my surgical side which made it easy. They made my body mold and marked all over me with markers; they don't do tatoos. My treatment starts October 4 and will be every day for 6 weeks. I hope I can keep from washing the marker off for the next week or so!!

Sep 25, 2021 04:26PM rhbarker wrote:

Starting 25 treatments sometime in October.

Sep 25, 2021 05:30PM lw422 wrote:

Hello there RHBarker and welcome. Let us know when you get started; we can all compare how we're holding up!

Sep 25, 2021 07:58PM Esther01 wrote:

Congratulations on the weekend OFF! Yay, no rads!

Hi RHBarker and Hi Serendipity :) I'm going to make a note of your final day - October 11- so I can send you some virtual hugs, flowers and balloons. I wish I could send some to you all. I know this is hugely stressful. I'm finally done with rads as of Tuesday and already do NOT miss that yucky daily commute. I forgot to bring the gift I made for the rad techs on my final day, and after it was done, I sprinted out of there so fast that I forgot to make my follow-up appt for two weeks - I'll wait and bring my gift then.

Not sure if I mentioned it here- I was so nervous about the "boosts" and tried half-heartedly to negotiate my way out of them (no dice) and it turns out, that last week was the home stretch of treatment because no more breath holds and it was only to one area and went really fast. During the last week I was able to ditch all of the sticky markers and that felt good.

NatureYogi, I'm so glad you got your mapping out of the way and that it wasn't so bad. The arms falling asleep is kind of the worst part. At the end of each rad session, they would say, "You can move your arms now," and I would say, "Uh, no, actually, I can't." I'd have to reach up and over and physically pick up my sleeping arm with the other half-asleep hand and bring it down.

You asked about creams... I ended up just using Calendula cream by Boiron. I couldn't handle the greasiness of Aquafor. I even sent away for Radiaplex because there was a study that it helped reduce radiation dermatitis, but that was kind of a big fail for me. I didn't see a difference so I went back to the calendula only which I like because it's creamy and soothing. I also drank a lot of water and ate extra protein to help my tissues and skin but I guess I was already doing that anyway.

I was so nervous about the supraclavicular nodes! But, I didn't get red up there at all. Just a huge rectangle of reddish tan across my left breast/chest and upper back. They did say that the left side of my throat might get red but it never did. I am still lotioning it for a few more weeks anyway. I hope everyone sails through without any supra node issues. This stuff is hard enough without the extra anxiety we go through the more we learn about it.

LW422, I'm glad you didn't need tattoos. Are they covering your markings with stickers? I was so worried the stickers would come off in the shower that I would put my hand over them so the water wouldn't hit them directly. I did get one waterlogged by accident but managed to keep it on until they could replace it the next day.

Something just occurred to me... and this is only anecdotal... My doctor was saying recently that we don't need to shower every day because hot water and frequent showers strips the protective oils from our skin and dries it out. She said showering is only important for three bacteria-haven areas - the groin, the armpits and the feet. So throughout rads, I showered only once a week. I am wondering now if that little experiment is what helped my skin stay intact. I did notice that the lotion would build up, but I kind of liked being chronically lubed up because that way it didn't get dry and sensitive. Just a thought!

Hope each of you are having a beautiful rads-free weekend!

Love,

Esther

Grateful to Jesus, that His love finally broke through to me. "With one touch, You just rolled away the stone that held my heart," - Lyrics by Keith Green, " 7 weeks of Radiation including supraclavicular nodes. Dx 12/2020, IDC, Stage IIB, 5/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 12/20/2020 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 6/9/2021 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Reconstruction (left) Radiation Therapy 8/4/2021 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 29, 2021 11:05AM Maura1 wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for starting this thread. It was so helpful to have a chemo group on here, so I am glad that we will have each other to help get through radiation. I had my planning simulation appointment yesterday and had the tattoos placed. I will need a total of 6 weeks of radiation. 5 weeks of whole breast/surrounding lymph nodes and then the last week of boost radiation. Waiting to hear back to be able to schedule my first, but looking like it's going to be in about 1 week or so. I am so looking forward to getting through this and putting it behind me. We're nearing the end of active treatment!

Did anyone else on here have TC chemotherapy? For those that did, have you had any hair regrowth yet? I had my last treatment earlier this month and cannot wait for my hair to grow back!

Dx 4/2021, IDC, Right, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/24/2021 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 7/2/2021 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Page 2 of 22 (219 results)

Scroll to top button