Topic: Starting Radiation October 2021

Forum: Radiation Therapy - Before, During, and After — What to expect from treatment and ways to cope with side effects.

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 10:35AM

Posted on: Sep 18, 2021 10:35AM

NatureYogi wrote:

Hello! Wanted to get a thread started for October radiation, I've met with my Radiation Oncologist and I'll be receiving 30 treatments. I also had my simulation this week and have my markers in place. Technically I start September 30, but what's one more day!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Page 5 of 22 (219 results)

Oct 4, 2021 01:28PM lw422 wrote:

Hey y'all. Well, day 1 is in the history books. I had an emo moment when I got on the table and got all teary-eyed. I guess the rad techs are used to it; they were very kind. Now that I have a better understanding of how it's going to go it should be easier tomorrow.

Today I am 6 weeks out from my mastectomy, so in 6 more weeks I'll be done with rads! (How time flies when we're having 'fun'!!!)

I hope everyone is doing well; have a great week.

Oct 4, 2021 01:59PM serendipity09 wrote:

Aklynna - it's not easy! I know, my niece is getting married on the Saturday after my last treatment and I had to decline because I didn't know how I was going to feel. Given how I feel now, I'm glad I did. Like I told you, it's all tolerable, but you just never know how you'll react and what you'll be feeling. {Hugs}

LW - yay for being done with day one.You'll see how fast it goes. I had a complete meltdown at my simulation and became very emotional on day one. The hardest part is over. Based on the experiences shared here, you already know (kind of) what to expect as far as SE's goes. I hope that helps you and everyone else a little bit. It's the unknown that is scary, but as mentioned before, chemo was so much worser than this, for me at least.

We got this!!

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 4, 2021 05:09PM aklynna wrote:

LW - glad to hear you made it thru day 1. I’m sure I’m going to be exactly the same…sometime it’s the fear of the unknown that’s the worst part.

Wondering- love the barrel ‘o flowers

Kristy

Oct 4, 2021 06:29PM NatureYogi wrote:

LW422-Congrats on making it through your first treatment! While getting my treatment today, a lady was ringing the bell for her last day of treatment, I've got 27 to go. I think I'll be tired of just having to go over there everyday....but we've got this!

Dx 2/11/2021, IBC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/10/2021 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/23/2021 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right

Oct 4, 2021 07:46PM Rubytoos wrote:

Had my first of 15 treatments today. My chest (PMRT) is hot enough to incubate chicks I think... I have asked repeatedly about self care and gotten no where. If it weren't for this board I would be completely unprepared. I had clear nodes and no residual cancer in my breast, and an Oncotype of 6 plus its left sided so worried about heart and lung involvement. But the RO insists on treating the chest wall and the axillary nodes as this is a local recurrence (I had no treatment the last time beyond a lumpectomy due to the seemingly indolent nature of my cancer). So in for a penny, in for a pound. One thing I was not prepared for was the "bolus" aspect. They placed a wet cloth on my chest to intensify the effects of the radiation to my skin which may account for how warm it is. I am thinking about putting a cold pack on the area but maybe not such a great idea. I worried so much about other things--the biopsies, seed placements, sentinel node dye injection, and the surgeries themselves--and they were all a breeze. Hoping this falls into the same category as I am a ways from home and flying solo

Oct 4, 2021 08:26PM serendipity09 wrote:

Hi Rubytoos! So sorry you find yourself here, but welcome!

I was instructed from the beginning not to put any cold compresses on the radiated area, don't remember why. But one piece of advice given to me by my RO's nurse was to put my cream in the refrigerator. It does give me a little relief momentarily and feels really good when being applied.

I agree with you that the other procedures, other than chemo for me, was much easier than this.

Hoping that these next 14 treatments go fast for you.

Ivy

Chemotherapy 4/1/2020 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 9/17/2020 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/3/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Surgery 7/9/2021 Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Oct 5, 2021 03:28PM - edited Oct 5, 2021 04:10PM by Rubytoos

Oh wow! Thank you Serendipity! What a great idea! And actually I am glad to be here. This board is a great resource. If someone is dealing with bc no better place to be IMHO. Thanks for the welcome :)

Oct 5, 2021 04:35PM lw422 wrote:

Hi Rubytoos! Jeeze, I can't believe you're having that burning feeling already. I hope today goes better for you and that the SEs will ease off.

Hope everyone is having a good week. I think I'm getting the "rhythm" of the process with my team; I didn't stumble around like a dufus today. Seems to me that they "assume" that we will instinctively know what to do but sorry... I need explicit instruction!!

Does anyone else have pangs of wondering if the techs are paying attention and know what they are doing? I see that huge machine hanging over me and almost panic wondering if a human error will cause me endless grief someday, or if those squiggly lines they draw on me are acurate. :shocked: Yeah, I'm a worst-case type, lol.)

Hang in there, everyone!

Oct 5, 2021 04:44PM serendipity09 wrote:

LW - I asked them today if they ever forget to tell anyone when to breath again. Of course they said they haven't, but I still wonder. I guess it goes along with your question. I hold my breath until they tell me to breath, but as I lay in the machine this morning I had that thought pop into my head. Obviously, if I need to breath I'm going to breath and the machine knows to stop, sometimes it can feel like an eternity. I hadn't had any of those thoughts because it was explained to me in such detail that I felt safe enough in knowing that the machine knows better. Now you have me wondering...lol

Oct 5, 2021 07:46PM NatureYogi wrote:

Today it seemed like I was holding my breath longer, I had the same thoughts, wondering if the machine would stop if I started breathing again! 26 more treatments to go!

Hope everyone is doing ok

Page 5 of 22 (219 results)

Scroll to top button