Topic: Carboplatin-Taxol + Keytruda - Thread to Share Your Experience

Forum: Triple-Negative Breast Cancer — Share with others who have ER-/PR-/HER2- breast cancer.

Posted on: Sep 3, 2021 08:41PM - edited Sep 30, 2021 07:09AM by oddboood

Posted on: Sep 3, 2021 08:41PM - edited Sep 30, 2021 07:09AM by oddboood

oddboood wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Next week I will start a 24-week regimen of weekly Carboplatin/Taxol with Keytruda once every 3 weeks for 12 weeks. I understand this is the newest protocol for TNBC, so I thought it might be good to start a thread. I look forward to the chance for all of us to learn from one another!

Aleta

Dx at 56. Trying to make lemonade.

Page 1 of 6 (56 results)

Sep 3, 2021 10:47PM norcals wrote:

Well wishes to all those on this new regimen. It wasn’t available when I was treated, so I hope it really works well for all the newbies

Dx 6/17/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/24/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 4/6/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Sep 16, 2021 06:54PM everythingispossible wrote:

Not certain what the treatment plan will be. See MO on Monday, September 20th. Waiting for Oncotyping. I had a lumpectomy on September 1st. In reading the FDA approvals for the new protocols it appears that this is a neoadjuvent treatment. Hoping that isn't the case. I'll take any advantage I can get!

Dx 8/13/2021, IDC: Medullary, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Sep 16, 2021 07:01PM oddboood wrote:

I'm having neuadjuvant chemo, but there are ongoing clinical trials of Keytruda as a TNBC adjuvant treatment - might be worth sharing with your MO: https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clin...

Sep 16, 2021 09:43PM moderators wrote:

Welcome, Everythingispossible! We're so sorry you find yourself here, but we hope you find this community to be a helpful and supportive place.

The Mods

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Sep 17, 2021 12:53AM Kendara wrote:

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just diagnosed with BC on September 13 and found out it was triple negative on September 14. I still have to have an MRI and a PET scan. I’m going to be starting neoadjuvant chemotherapy on September 29 with carboplatin, taxol and Keytruda. So I will let you know how it goes for me. I’m really grateful that this new protocol was approved in time for me to try it. After 3 months of this combination, I have 3 months of AC and continued Keytruda. MO is throwing everything at this. Hugs and prayers for everyone else who is on the chemo train. Heart

Sep 17, 2021 07:58AM oddboood wrote:

Hi Kendara,

Thanks for joining this thread! It looks like we are among the first to have this new treatment plan - 3 months weekly carbo/taxol with Keytruda and then 3 months weekly AC with Keytruda. I had my second infusion this week, and so far, side effects have been very mild. The worst thing has been constipation from the Zofran prescribed to treat nausea (that was pretty unpleasant, so be sure to take extra care with diet and have some over the counter remedies handy if they give you Zofran). I've also had mild fatigue - I don't usually take naps, but now they are part of my daily routine. No hair loss so far, but it's early days, I know. The infusions themselves have been easy - I actually slept through both of them due to the Benadryl they add in to stave off any allergic reactions. I'm told they will be reducing that going forward as long as I have no allergic reactions.

I'm told the effects will be cumulative, so I'm not counting on it being this easy for the duration and I'm doing my best to take advantage of these days when I still feel pretty "normal." Smile

Good luck with your upcoming scans. Hugs and prayers to you and all our BC sisters!

Aleta

Sep 17, 2021 07:41PM norcals wrote:

Oddboood and Kendara,

Thanks for checking in and letting the rest of us know how you guys are doing. I was diagnosed in mid 2019, so I had AC-T only, no immunotherapy. The advice I received from oncology nurses, integrative oncologist, and TNBC survivors was to walk everyday if possible. They said it will help keep your WBC up. I walked early in the morning and it helped me psychologically as well. You don’t have to exercise hard, but getting some exercise everyday can be helpful

Dx 6/17/2019, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 6/24/2019 AC + T (Taxol) Chemotherapy 4/6/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Sep 30, 2021 06:48AM - edited Sep 30, 2021 07:12AM by oddboood

Had my fourth infusion yesterday, and saw my PA as well. After just three weekly infusions of Carbo-Taxol (and one of Keytruda), my formerly 2cm hard-as-a-rock, easily palpable tumor can no longer be felt - by me or the PA in my MO's office. Yay!

The other god news is that side effects have still been minimal - nausea controlled easily by Compazine, plus a few minor mouth sores that don't really hurt and seem to be controlled with a non-alcoholic mouthwash. I had some fatigue in the first two weeks, but the last two weeks my energy has been great. I'm going off the steroids and the Benadryl since I've had no signs of allergic reaction to the Taxol. We'll see if that induces a dip in energy, but since I only take three dexamethezone once per week on chemo days, I don't anticipate a huge change. Per my chemo nurse, the weekly regimen can be much easier to tolerate - even though you don't get the rest time between infusions, the lower dosage seems to be easier for people to handle. Also, no hair loss yet, and blood work looks really good for all the key WBC markers!

Here's hoping others on this new regimen have a similar experience - at least in the first weeks. I know there's still five months and 20 infusions to go, and I'm prepared for a rough time as treatment progresses - especially after the switch to AC at the 3-month mark. Still, thought this might be a welcome update for others who may be beginning this regimen.

Love to all,

Aleta

Sep 30, 2021 12:49PM norcals wrote:

Oddboood,

I am so glad that the new treatment is working. I hope the side effects stay manageable. AC is tough, but I felt like it was very effective. My 6+ cm tumor shrank the most during AC, so hopefully AC will help kill off any lingering cancer cells you may have

Sep 30, 2021 05:22PM mamacure wrote:

that’s amazing oddboood! Carbo (Taxol, carbo, keytruda) kicked my butt & had to drop 4th carbo. AC was the worst of all but every 3 weeks & only 4x. I got a dose reduction after the first AC. Now I’m on keytruda only and they said no nausea but I threw up in the parking lot afterwards. I think both carbo & AC worked well. Glad to know ofothers having this same treatment! Best of luck ladies. You can do it!

DX 3/23/21 | IDC LEFT | IBC LEFT | ER-/PR-/HER-2- (FISH) | T4b(inflammatory)N1, overall stage IIIc | Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy April 2021 Taxol, Carbo, Ketruda | Chemo May 2021 Abraxane, Carbo, Keytruda ,AC | Integrative Oncology & Accupuncture

Page 1 of 6 (56 results)

Scroll to top button